BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

E36 M3 evo AP coilover advise

15K views 20 replies 7 participants last post by  steve323iseWitney 
#1 · (Edited)
E36 M3 evo AP coilovers

After putting HOTTUNING coilovers on my old E36 323i i was very happy the results. They were a cheap alternative to other expensive tuning makes but in my opinion were very good for the money.
They don't do a set for the M3 but have come across these AP coilovers.
Does anyone use these? know of the brand? Any advise on these or other coilovers?

Thanks Steve

http://www.venommotorsport.com/product_details.php?id=47&manufacturer=AP&category=Suspension

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/AP-Coilover-K...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item4a9dc15b82

#5 ·
i finally got round to pulling my finger out & give the M3 a much needed refresh, Ap coilovers, arb drop links, new top mounts all round with reinforcement plates, pagid discs & pads all round:)

I cant believe how completely ruined my old shocks where! the difference in unbelievable! no more crashing & banging over the bumps The car is now a pleasure to drive. The coilovers are firm but are supposed to be 25%-30% uprated. They don't feel that much stiffer... if any!? (maybe because my original ones were so knackered?) There is a little 'bobbing' up & down at low speed, but i'm very pleased with these AP coilovers, I would definitely recommend them. Maybe not stiff enough for track use but for road use very comfy:thumbsup I just need to fiddle with the ride height to get it looking perfect.

This was rear after fitting.... a touch on the high side:silly, the rear adjusters where set to exactly the same as the ones i took off (kw coilover springs + standard shocks)

Front

I get a few more pick up of them fitted soon.

#7 ·
Yeah i guess it will stiffen a bit over time. Ive been debating what to do for a while now but i love the flexibility of ride high with coilovers. Considering i wanted new mounts all round & ive need brakes for the last year at least I couldn't afford to buy an expensive set, but don't think i needed to either. The HSD's were appealing but i really think a bit to elaborate for what i want. & heard they give a lot of road noise due to the style of top mount. This AP set seemed the best option for me, not the 'cheapest' but a reasonable price with good reviews for road use.

#8 ·
I know it's a different year and model that I have to you Steve. But how would you rate the AP's? What's the ride like compared to standard set-up (hard to describe I know). What's the quality of the kit? Any feedback would be great. I'm undecided between AP's n Lowtecs from the forum vendor. The only plus side is that the AP's will wind down to 90mm.

#10 ·
hi mate, it still early day with this kit & I've not got the ride height quiet right yet. Still sitting a bit high at the back. As expected the ride feels firmer. I'm getting a bit of a bouncy/ 'bobbing' affect at the back at low speed (less than 20 mph) but Ive realised today Ive made a bit of a school boy error. I forgot to transfer over the shock dust covers & bump stops :banghead and more importantly the support plate (no.6) View attachment 23391 :eek So only no.7 is supporting the shock under the top mount. I wonder if this is causing the back to but extra stress on the top mount??. Any way going to have to get shocks off again tomorrow and assemble correctly:sarcastic

The fronts feel really nice & i'm hoping when the back is lowered a bit it should even up the feeling though the car. this kit doesnt feel crashy at all.

i mostly very pleased with this kit, my old shocks & rear mounts were knackered & the car feels 100 times better, The car still needs a full alignment too remember which will no doubt make it feel even better. unfortunately i don't really have anything to compare to tho, the only other coilovers Ive had were on my old E36 323i, Hottunning coilovers. they were pretty good too but felt alot stiffer a were 'crashy' compared to these.

In conclusion: pleased with the results, but still needs a bit of adjustment. They feel comfy but firm. & i think with coilovers in general, although you gain great handling and a wide range of ride height adjustment a little comfort is sacrificed...

#19 ·
Probably done a good 80 miles just pottering around. The front has dropped down a bit but the back still doesn't feel quiet right. but not installed quiet right tho & sitting high. yeah feels a bit firmer than when first fitted.

hopefully have all sorted tomorrow. will report back:thumbsup

#21 ·
Re-fitted rear shock with bump stops & dust covers:)

Difference in shock length

On inspection I could see from the little dirty bit at the top of the shock that OEM bump stops are too long, fitting full length bump stop would mean the car would crash into the them, possibly even sit on them if loaded with 4 people.

Cut down stops, (Half original length) I was going to buy new ones but ÂŁ13 each from BMW :eek

re fitted

& the fronts (very close to tyres!!!) think spacers would be best fitted, for safety

BEFORE LOWERING TODAY

AFTER

Lowered the back down a bit more. almost spot on now. Car drives alot better now its more level. It didn't like the back being so much higher than the front. Its stopped that bouncy feeling at low speed:thumbsup

Looking at my sig pic below, I think the back is still a touch high, hard to tell gravel drive is on a slop & a bit uneven.....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.