BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

E36 brakes

Tags
brakes
2K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  threeseven 
#1 ·
anyone know if possible to fit E36 m3 calipers to 320i saloon with standard discs...?....or is it a matter of change discs or even change struts as well..???

#3 ·
changing to m3 brakes is a bit more involved than that and requires changing a few things whereas the brakes from a e46 330 are a bolt on upgrade!
just need discs and callipers but its advised to change your mastercylinder/servo to a m3 version otherwise the pedal travel is a little long!

#6 ·
I fitted M3 brakes all round on my 318iS
its not just a case of swapping the discs unfortunately
you will need the caliper, carrier, M3 hub
you will then run into other problems, the hub mounting points are different to the non M hubs so the front wheels will sit further forward in the arch which will make it handle like s:censoredt
so to cure that you will need the M3 front struts not a cheap thing especially if you are wanting to uprate

I have used the non M strut top mount and they seems to be fine for the moment

as for the ARB you don't need the M3 one you can use the non M one in the non M mounting points (on the wishbone), I did this for a while it was ok but seeing as I got the ARB links with the suspension kit I decided to fit them
I am running a 25.5mm ARB from a 328 sport which is about 2.5mm thicker than the M3 ARB doing this made a big difference

another thing you will have to watch out for is the lollipop bushes, the 3.0 M3 has an offset bush where as the M3 EVO does not
the M3 EVO uses a different wishbone to give the same effect as the offset bush the 3.0 uses and the wish bones are pretty expensive as are M3 EVO discs

the 3.0 M3 uses a slightly different wishbone to the non M in that the outer ball joint is solid mounted to give better feedback through the steering this isnt a problem as the non M wishbones will fit all the same, the E30 3 series uses the same wishbone as the 3.0 M3 and is way cheaper so its a nice upgrade should you need to change them

and finally you don't need to fit the M3 master cylinder, you will get a longer pedal without it but I have gotten used to it so it wont get changed until it needs doing

hope this was helpful :thumbsup

#9 ·
A little low on funds so i cant really experiment, hence why i need to be sure. So i have an E36 318i. I can literally take the old caliper off and bolt the E46 330i one straight on with new pads and disks? No adjustment or extras needed?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.