Model of Car:
    318i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon

Thanks
    Hi all, I have a pair of M-Sport front springs to fit to my e46 saloon but am finding it hard to find a set of rears.
    I have noticed the coupes and verts sit lower and am wondering are the springs interchangeable with the saloon?
    Ie: would rear springs from a non sport coupe be lower than a non sport saloon?

Thanks,
    John.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

BMW Master
    Car Details
    godzilla200sx's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    E46 323i SE
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon
    Thanks
    dont think they fit mate , ebay is your friend

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    e46318ise's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    318i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon

Thanks
    The reason i ask is this:

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...=397880&page=2
    look at the attachment in post #35

Some 3xxCI`s have Blue/Blue/Blue colour rear springs, which i have seen on a 330i M-sport Saloon. which leads me to believe that there is some commonality between the saloon and Coupe`s.
    Last edited by e46318ise; 04-02-2011 at 15:50. Reason: forgot URL

5. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

BMW Guru
    Car Details
    Paddy2bsure's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    9-5 Aero 2.3T
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon
    Thanks
    Physically they'll fit - all rear E46 springs are interchangeable - even M3 ones!
    The fronts are also all interchangeable EXCEPT for the M3's, which are different.

On the rear, the cabrio & touring ones are allegedly higher rated, so may sit high with the lighter load of the saloon (or coupe) on them. But you're right, an identical spec Saloon & Coupe will have identical rear suspension setup.

On the front, springs are rated mostly according to engine size, also partly to do with body type.

There are LOADS of variations of spring types, depending on whether it's a base/Sport/M-Sport, Saloon/Touring/Cabrio/Coupe...

HTH
    E46 330i Touring (Sold)

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    e46318ise's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    318i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon

Thanks
    excellent thanks for the info, much appreciated.

8. Snapped coils 
    Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    bimmer10's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    330 M Sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe

Thanks
    Sorry for the thread HiJack....

Hi similair issue, I have a snapped spring on the O/S/R on my 2001 330CI Sport.

I currently have springs with 2 blue markings per coil, this is painted on 3 coils. 6 markings in total.

The breakers have given me a coil with THREE markings per coil but only 2 coils are marked. So once again 6 markings per coil..... They said it was the same spring and I should not have any issues.

Can someone help me please and advise if they are the same height and stiffness etc etc? Checked loads of sites all day but no one seems to talk about a coil with 2 bLUE markings.

Many Thanks

9. Difference between e46 saloon and coupe springs 
    Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    e46318ise's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    318i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon

Thanks
    Interesting, if you look at the attachments in the link I posted, one of the cars 323i has blue/blue, the rest are mainly 3 blues.

It could well be that they changed how they label them(3x2,2x3) and they are the same spring.

10. O/s/r broken too 
    Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    daveo19's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    e46 320ci msport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe
    Thanks
    Sorry for thread hijack too!

Found a cracked O/S/R spring on my 2006 320ci e46/2 m-sport when doing my pads and disks on friday for MOT tomorrow.

Went to euro car parts where they were doing e46ci springs for £32ish-which seems to be the going rate... however when I said it was an m-sport the guy said the ones they sold werent compatible with the stock m-sport suspension (indicated by 3-stripes -like my broken spring had on it).

Apparently there are 3 suspension setups for the e46: standard, sport and m-tech? I presumed I had sport, and m-tech would be the m3/cs (and maybe the 330?)? Anyway... slightly lowered compared to my mates standard e46 330d so I assume different springs.

BMW quoted £95 for 1 spring...whereas a full set of eibach sportlines is £125 from my local stockist (which I then said f-it and got as I needed car over weekend and didnt want to run on a cracked spring (considering my MOT is due monday!)

I did the rears only so far, noticed they were about 1cm shorter than the broken coil (when off), but on fitting have dropped the rear ride height by about 1cm. Meaning if I stick with them I'll have to do the fronts (which admittedly doesnt look that hard to do having access to spring compressors)

What are peoples typical experience with insurance companies with these-slightly lowering an m-sport?

Or would I have been better to override mr euro parts and take their Alchenar offerings at £32 each??? Should I still get these, replace and flog the eibach kit?

Or return them, and ask my (very knowledgable) local garage (who are doing my MOT) to fix it? They did say itd be about £30 plus labour-took me about 20 mins to do 1 side...so £45ish total and then its on their heads if its wrong?

BMW Maestro
    Car Details
    bimmer320's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    e46 300ci clubsport & E30 325i sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    2002 & 1987
    Transmission Type:
    auto & manual
    Car Body Type:
    coupe and 2 door
    Thanks
    sport suspension does sit lower and the shocks are stiffer than standard. I had the same prob when i found a snapped spring, no one does a pattern spring for sports. In the end i put a set of lowering springs on as they was not much more than 1 rear from the stealer as you have found out. The eurocarparts ones will physically fit but will be softer than the sport ones.

330ci clubsport

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    daveo19's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    e46 320ci msport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe
    Thanks
    Cheers bimmer320.

I got it wrong... the ebay shop said it was eibach sportlines (red) but on collection i ended up with the pro-kit (black with white markings)

These are pretty damn perfect replacement - no drop and my back end isnt quite as squirrely on right turns (probably due to me now having proper traction!).

With just the rear springs on I've measured mine vs my mates 325ci-m cabrio and the arches etc are the same height/clearance, and also the rear jack point is same height off ground. (No shock swap required!)

Just waiting til I get my dads spring compressors on my next visit to do the fronts.

Did you get your tracking done after replacement?

Passed MOT too - and the garage said that 7/10 of the e46s that come through there have cracked springs... hmmm... nice bit of reliability from BMW! Still hes seen the results I got and knows where to get decent m-sport compatible springs now.