BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

decent budget road use coilovers

884 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  ttelracs 
#1 ·
hi all

i have a e46 msport coupe and wanting to lower it a bit with coilovers but dont want it hard or harsh but for road use,but not silly money any reccomendations?

#2 ·
Hi Snoopk
I have lowered previous cars iv owned using coilovers. On my ST that I used to track I first put on a cheap Pro Sport kit which was good but I had fitting issues and was forever adjusting them. When I broke the weld on the N/S-Front shock I replaced with an H&R kit (which was a bit more money). Never had any trouble with these and they fitted first time. Even though I used the vehicle on track it was fine on the road, naturally watch out for potholes. One advantage of having slightly harder springs though is that when the cars loaded up you don't get as much scraping as the ride height changes.

Hope this gives you a bit more of an insight into life with Coilovers, what makes have you been looking at?

#3 ·
I bought these earlier this week and have just finished fitting them.

Coilover for BMW E46 3 Series Coupe Saloon Estate Touring Adjustable Suspension | eBay

I bought them as I needed some rear shocks and by the time it's costed up I thought it better to buy these as they came complete with top mounts for front and rear. Adjustable spring rate on the front as well as height and the same for the rear. Still trying to find the best compromise on height and firmness and I also noticed both rear drop links need replacing as they were both cracked.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.