BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

Can you grind back good brake pads for new discs?

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Boostist 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Had to put new pads on the old lady as could not afford new pads and all discs at the same time.

Thing is now that 3 months have passed I have to replace all discs front and back. But the racing yellow pads form EBC have only had about 600 miles on them and they are not cheap throw away affairs. :mad

If they are chased back to flat to lose the grooving from the old discs they should be OK. yes?

Any one done this.

front discs are going to be Rossini as 75% upwards of all breaking goes through these little beauties. It is said that a 40 % improvement is felt with these discs. Has anyone any experience of this. I already have stainless steel hoses etc.

will stick the EBC ultimax sport on the rear as unless your reversing hard and locking it into a spin the rear wheels don't get any real use.:lol

#2 ·
Moved this to the correct forum.....

You dont even need to really chase them back if you dont want.
Just fit the new disks and once you have used the brakes GENTLY for a couple of journeys, they will flatten themselves to the new disks.

Bear in mind to start with braking will be fadey and poor as the pad > disk contact will not be good at first.

hence find some local flat roads to bed them in on...

ive done this plenty of times with no ill effect :thumbsup

#3 ·
I understand what you're saying about replacement costs and lack of use but I have always been advised that new discs must be accompanied with new pads regardless of wear on the pads.

I personally would never do it on any car of mine:frown

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.