Model of Car:
    316i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe

Thanks
    Hello guys. My first post on the forum. Sorry if this is in the wrong section.

Heres the story, Ive an idea put to bmw e36 running gear into my opel kadett coupe, wee project. My main problem is back axle not strong enough in the kadett to take the m3 e36 power...

So ive an idea to put the e36 m3 back axle in as well... I have an old e36 316i back axle lying here. What I want to know is:

Is the E36 316 back axle the same as the M3 axle, except for the diff. Is the drive shafts and arm mounting points all the same?

Thanks Paul
    Merry Christmas
    Last edited by revolution12345; 21-12-2008 at 22:17. Reason: Mistype

2. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

RYM
    Legendary BFuk Member
    Car Details
    RYM's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    325tds
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Touring
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,935 Times in 3,119 Posts
    Welcome to the forum

Crazy first question

The diff carrier mounting points (the ones that bolt it to the chassis) should be the same. They were on my 318is. In fact, everything was a straight swap underneath

Am I correct in presuming that you want to use the 316 gear as a template whilst you source the M3 parts for your kadett?

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    revolution12345's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    316i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe

Thanks
    Yip youd be spot on there. Have a rolled 316 coupe lying out the back of the garage. Want to see if it would fit instead of wasting money buying a m3 axle to find out it wouldnt fit.lol

Basically as long as the cradle and the suspension mounts are the same thats all I really need. When I get it fitted and mounted, simply remove and drop the complete m3 gear into it.
    And then pray it doesnt tear the kadett to bits!Lol

Thanks Paul
    Last edited by revolution12345; 21-12-2008 at 22:48. Reason: Mistype

5. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

RYM
    Legendary BFuk Member
    Car Details
    RYM's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    325tds
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Touring
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by revolution12345 View Post
    Yip youd be spot on there. Have a rolled 316 coupe lying out the back of the garage. Want to see if it would fit instead of wasting money buying a m3 axle to find out it wouldnt fit.lol

Basically as long as the cradle and the suspension mounts are the same thats all I really need. When I get it fitted and mounted, simply remove and drop the complete m3 gear into it.
    And then pray it doesnt tear the kadett to bits!Lol

Thanks Paul

I used my 318is cradle to house the M3 diff

When completing the installation I recommend you use powerflex polyurethane bushes. Also the M3 has reinforcing plates welded to the chassis so that the floor doesn't get ripped out. There are four on the cradle and two on the gear box

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    Model of Car:
    316i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe

Thanks
    I used my 318is cradle to house the M3 diff

When completing the installation I recommend you use powerflex polyurethane bushes. Also the M3 has reinforcing plates welded to the chassis so that the floor doesn't get ripped out. There are four on the cradle and two on the gear box
    Cheers dude. That helps alot, save me time and money.

Yeh I was reading up on that. My mounting points will be completely different anyway, because the wee kadett is alot narrower than the e36...should be interesting, might have to chop them lower arms and extend them further towards the diff to find a strong place to mount.
    But after reading about the stronger mounts, I will definately make sure to mount it strong as possible.

Cant decide whether to go for 3.2 Evo or just the 3 litre. What are the horsepower differences?

How hard was it for you to wire up your M3 engine? Ill have to go for a standalone ecu...

Thanks Paul

RYM
    Legendary BFuk Member
    Car Details
    RYM's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    325tds
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Touring
    Thanks
    Cheers dude. That helps alot, save me time and money.

Yeh I was reading up on that. My mounting points will be completely different anyway, because the wee kadett is alot narrower than the e36...should be interesting, might have to chop them lower arms and extend them further towards the diff to find a strong place to mount.
    But after reading about the stronger mounts, I will definately make sure to mount it strong as possible.

Cant decide whether to go for 3.2 Evo or just the 3 litre. What are the horsepower differences?

How hard was it for you to wire up your M3 engine? Ill have to go for a standalone ecu...

Thanks Paul

My advice is to use the 3.0 litre like me as they use the single vanos as opposed to the more troublesome twin vanos that the 3.2 uses.

321bhp 3.2 which i've since read the evo's actually struggle to hit and 286bhp for the 3.0 litre.

Remember the Evo uses a 6 speed box though.

Personally, I would fancy my chances against any Evo that pulled alongside me

You will encounter EWS issues.

I ended up removing my 318is loom completely and refitting the 3.0 litre M3 loom

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    Model of Car:
    316i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe

Thanks
    My advice is to use the 3.0 litre like me as they use the single vanos as opposed to the more troublesome twin vanos that the 3.2 uses.

321bhp 3.2 which i've since read the evo's actually struggle to hit and 286bhp for the 3.0 litre.

Remember the Evo uses a 6 speed box though.

Personally, I would fancy my chances against any Evo that pulled alongside me

You will encounter EWS issues.

I ended up removing my 318is loom completely and refitting the 3.0 litre M3 loom

Well that settles that.lol I think 280 is enough in a kadett that weighs in at 760kg.lol Thats over 300bhp per tonne i think, or somewhere near it.lol

The 3litre is easier to buy and come across also. So I will go with your advice on that one.
    Altho the 6 speed box would probably give better gear ratios am I right in saying? So 3litre engine and the 6 speed box!Lol

Hmm what does EWS mean?

Dear lord that would be a job and a half. I could probably use an M3 loom and run it inside the car...and then wire in a standalone ecu...or is it possible to run just a M3 Ecu without the car BSI or whatever?

RYM
    Legendary BFuk Member
    Car Details
    RYM's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    325tds
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Touring
    Thanks
    Well that settles that.lol I think 280 is enough in a kadett that weighs in at 760kg.lol Thats over 300bhp per tonne i think, or somewhere near it.lol

The 3litre is easier to buy and come across also. So I will go with your advice on that one.
    Altho the 6 speed box would probably give better gear ratios am I right in saying? So 3litre engine and the 6 speed box!Lol

Hmm what does EWS mean?

Dear lord that would be a job and a half. I could probably use an M3 loom and run it inside the car...and then wire in a standalone ecu...or is it possible to run just a M3 Ecu without the car BSI or whatever?

Electronic Watchdog System. It's the BMW anti-theft device. The car will only start once all of the EWS components are in place