325ti Compact newbie with suspension questions! - Page 2

Notices

Thread: 325ti Compact newbie with suspension questions!

Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    BMW Maestro
    Car Details
    Cendrian's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    320td SE Compact (Sapphire Black Metal)
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Compact
    Images
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,054 Times in 726 Posts
    For the top mounts, replace primarily the rear, the front can be more condition dependant. The rear top mounts to go for would be Meyle HD.

Fitting coilovers isn't particularly difficult at all. Check out my thread when I fitted coilovers to my compact.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Cendrian For This Useful Post:

AlecG (04-11-2011)

3. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

BMW Fanatic
    Car Details
    eK UK's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    316ti Edition Sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Compact

Thanks
    What drop has the OEM sport suspension got over standard as I have an ES spec and they come with M package.. could someone help as I just cannot find this info anywhere, Thanks.. Also how do I get raw power from these valvetronic engines, they show bad low end power?? BS really, my focus zetec 2.0L that I had recently before was pocket rocket compared to my Beemer! and that was slow by my standards plus I was always getting smashed by my mates clio 172 RS.. Can anyone advise me how to get more power please..

BMW Fanatic
    Car Details
    AlecG's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    325ti
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    m
    Car Body Type:
    Hatchback!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cendrian View Post
    For the top mounts, replace primarily the rear, the front can be more condition dependant. The rear top mounts to go for would be Meyle HD.

Fitting coilovers isn't particularly difficult at all. Check out my thread when I fitted coilovers to my compact.
    I've got both front and rear top mounts here, I'm also going to get powerflex front bushes!

Now the age old question comes to suspension - I'm used to low harsh/stiff cars, and this one feels like an armchair which is why I'm looking for suspension as well as there being no replacement history in her 81k miles. I've seen JOM and FK AK Streets are cheap height adjustable coilovers, but also seen a couple of bad threads about them, so I was thinking of the Hottuning ones as they've a 3 year warranty! Is there anything else to consider at the same time?

Thanks all!

BMW Guru
    Car Details
    baderlfc's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    325ti Sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    hatchback
    Thanks
    Hottuning and JOM coilovers are identical apart from colour.. FK AK's a very similar, maybe a slight improvement.

I'd go for a suspension kit personally, something quality like H&R which will give a nice drop and massive handling improvement whilst keeping the ride relatively good for long journeys!

Glad to see you got your 325ti, pity about the colour
    E46 325ti Sport
    Lowered 50/40 on Weitec springs
    18" staggered BBS RS-GTs

Pioneer MVH-8200
    Focal Polyglass 5.25" 130VB components
    Alpine MRP-M650 Monoblock with Alpine Type R 10"

7. The Following User Says Thank You to baderlfc For This Useful Post:

AlecG (04-11-2011)

BMW Master
    Car Details
    94chas's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    318ti
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    compact

Thanks
    Hi
    have got a bilstein B12 dedicated suspension kit on my compact, poly front wishbone bushes and 18"MV2 wheels,its a very good set up.
    Had mine for 40k miles all types of motoring and conditions has no downsides apart from the price.
    (but you do get what you pay for)
    Regards Chas
    Last edited by 94chas; 04-11-2011 at 13:00. Reason: spelling! english not my first language

9. The Following User Says Thank You to 94chas For This Useful Post:

AlecG (04-11-2011)

BMW Fanatic
    Car Details
    AlecG's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    325ti
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    m
    Car Body Type:
    Hatchback!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by baderlfc View Post
    Hottuning and JOM coilovers are identical apart from colour.. FK AK's a very similar, maybe a slight improvement.

I'd go for a suspension kit personally, something quality like H&R which will give a nice drop and massive handling improvement whilst keeping the ride relatively good for long journeys!

Glad to see you got your 325ti, pity about the colour
    Thanking you!

Have you got a H&R kit then? I'm in two minds with coilovers to be fair... Is it a hard job to fettle the ride height etc? I had suspension kits before and on my e30 318is it was too low a Weitec Ultra GT kit (with a sump guard the mo-fo sparked at every bump!), and the MR2 an FK kit it wasn't quite low enough...

Yup it's a really foul colour, but it cost under half of what I sold my mr2 for, which was nice! This is my third car this year, I will grow to tolerate the colour, haha!

BMW Maestro
    Car Details
    Cendrian's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Compact
    Images
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AlecG View Post
    Thanking you!

Have you got a H&R kit then? I'm in two minds with coilovers to be fair... Is it a hard job to fettle the ride height etc? I had suspension kits before and on my e30 318is it was too low a Weitec Ultra GT kit (with a sump guard the mo-fo sparked at every bump!), and the MR2 an FK kit it wasn't quite low enough...

Yup it's a really foul colour, but it cost under half of what I sold my mr2 for, which was nice! This is my third car this year, I will grow to tolerate the colour, haha!
    Height adjustment is easy with coilovers, normally a case of a spinny adjuster. It conjures up images of causing a hassle to adjust, but truth is normally you don't even need to jack the car up (bars to take the wheel off for access). Simples <squeek>.

Suspension kit is the way to go if you want the best of both worlds, although being able to adjust the height is very useful if you're so inclined. Lower for nice days/summer, raise her up for winter/snow etc, nice perks. Obviously the poly bushes and coilover combo will produce a significantly harder ride, but you seem like me on that front, handling over comfort is a positive thing. I'm used to that too, and rarely do long tedious trips so its no issue there.

Sump guard isn't particularly necessary for the BM, since it has undershields there anyway, but of course if you come across a substancial stone on the road then you're in real danger of bumper damage, but you know all that

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Cendrian For This Useful Post:

AlecG (04-11-2011)

BMW Fanatic
    Car Details
    AlecG's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    325ti
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    m
    Car Body Type:
    Hatchback!

Thanks
    Height adjustment is easy with coilovers, normally a case of a spinny adjuster. It conjures up images of causing a hassle to adjust, but truth is normally you don't even need to jack the car up (bars to take the wheel off for access). Simples <squeek>.

Suspension kit is the way to go if you want the best of both worlds, although being able to adjust the height is very useful if you're so inclined. Lower for nice days/summer, raise her up for winter/snow etc, nice perks. Obviously the poly bushes and coilover combo will produce a significantly harder ride, but you seem like me on that front, handling over comfort is a positive thing. I'm used to that too, and rarely do long tedious trips so its no issue there.

Sump guard isn't particularly necessary for the BM, since it has undershields there anyway, but of course if you come across a substancial stone on the road then you're in real danger of bumper damage, but you know all that
    Thanks for this!

What setup did you go for, and do you recommend it?

I've got the occasional big journey to do, but did them in my e30 and MR2 so it's not an issue, I just want to be able to not feel slightly sea sick when cornering!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to AlecG For This Useful Post:

Cendrian (04-11-2011)

BMW Maestro
    Car Details
    Cendrian's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Compact
    Images
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AlecG View Post
    Thanks for this!

What setup did you go for, and do you recommend it?

I've got the occasional big journey to do, but did them in my e30 and MR2 so it's not an issue, I just want to be able to not feel slightly sea sick when cornering!
    With reference to the thread I linked earlier, I fitted the forum vendor HotTuning TA Technix (Red) kit, mainly because of the price and the guarantee. Its excellent value for money. I had a leaky passenger shock and the rest of my stock suspension wasn't in good condition, so when I compared the price of the kit in question versus replacing stock, it was excellent value for money. I couldn't justify the cost of a top brand kit, like Eibach, I wanted a balance between cost versus quality and I can honestly say I've no regrets in following that route.

My setup currently consists of those coilovers with powerflex polybushes, so is about as hard a ride as you can get and I don't find it too hard. Depends on the road tbh. I don't find it too bouncy if thats what you mean, and theres very little lean on hard cornering versus stock, so the handling improvements are substancial.

A lot of people avoid powerflex bushes since they are harder, and the Meyle HD bushes are also good, with a denser higher quality rubber over stock, which firm things up without compromising comfort too much. So thats another option bush wise. Its worth remembering for future reference that Meyle/Meyle HD replacement parts tend to be better than stock OEM parts for direct replacement of various parts. BM's are quite famous for eating bushes, so worth getting decent ones.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Cendrian For This Useful Post:

AlecG (05-11-2011)

BMW Fanatic
    Car Details
    AlecG's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    325ti
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    m
    Car Body Type:
    Hatchback!

Thanks
    With reference to the thread I linked earlier, I fitted the forum vendor HotTuning TA Technix (Red) kit, mainly because of the price and the guarantee. Its excellent value for money. I had a leaky passenger shock and the rest of my stock suspension wasn't in good condition, so when I compared the price of the kit in question versus replacing stock, it was excellent value for money. I couldn't justify the cost of a top brand kit, like Eibach, I wanted a balance between cost versus quality and I can honestly say I've no regrets in following that route.

My setup currently consists of those coilovers with powerflex polybushes, so is about as hard a ride as you can get and I don't find it too hard. Depends on the road tbh. I don't find it too bouncy if thats what you mean, and theres very little lean on hard cornering versus stock, so the handling improvements are substancial.

A lot of people avoid powerflex bushes since they are harder, and the Meyle HD bushes are also good, with a denser higher quality rubber over stock, which firm things up without compromising comfort too much. So thats another option bush wise. Its worth remembering for future reference that Meyle/Meyle HD replacement parts tend to be better than stock OEM parts for direct replacement of various parts. BM's are quite famous for eating bushes, so worth getting decent ones.
    Thanks for the info on this!

I'm still debating which suspension to go for though - the hottuning stuff seems scarily cheap, although I've not heard bad reviews and they've a 3 year warranty, so must be fine! The option of a suspension kit such as:
    http://www.e-parts.co.uk/product.asp...070400&manu=16
    is the other alternative, oooh decisions decisions!

Did you get the droplinks with your hottuning kit or seperate?

I've got 16" 5spokes with a split down the middle (not sure what their name is) and I'm worried about them rubbing with coilies, did you have any problems with this?

With a 40mm lowering will the droplinks need replacing?!

Thanks

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast