BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

325tds complete performance upgrade.. on a budget

2K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  Stoobart 
#1 ·
Hello all, I'm a proper newbie, have owned a 1997 325tds saloon for a couple of years now, its a little tatty (which I aim to address), but generally solid.

I was looking to improve its performance and handling without making too many obvious external changes, but haven't a clue where to start, plus to complicate things I'm on a budget and will have to upgrade bit by bit.

I've been told by various people to undertake various of the following, but as a non-mechanic and someone totally new to "modding" I would appreciate all and any advice you may have for me.

Install a panel air filter
Install a plug and play ecu
Look into exhaust options
Fit a front anti-roll bar
Fit sportier shocks
Uprate my front brakes to sport versions
Fit 16" wheels and wider, lower profile rubber (currently on standard 15" rims)

Really haven't got a clue and could use all the helpful advice you can muster... and remember - its a diesel!

Also my fabric front seats are knackered, anyone know where I can get some subtle but sportier versions without breaking the bank?!

Many thanks

Stoobart (newbie extra-ordinaire)

See less See more
#2 ·
Installing a panel filter is easy and a good idea, while it may not give you much of a power gain it will filter better and last longer.
A plug and play ECU? better to get yours Remapped.
Exhaust,not sure on the choice you will have but you can easily get one made up to your specs.
Fitting a performance front antiroll bar is easier enough, they are all the same on basic e36s
Shocks and springs again are easily enough to come by,H&R etc
A brake upgrade again is a easy enough upgrade, aftermarket pads and discs from EBC or Brembo etc but won't be dirt cheap
A20(another Moderator) on here will be able to help you with your wheel needs

#4 ·
Stoobart, I thank you for raising this question as I too am a derv touring buddy that may be in search of more ponnies!!!

Problem with panel filters is... they are not required!!! The filter stretches the length of the block... a simple replacement with a chip/remap is the key I think???

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.