325i M sport 3.0
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe
    Thanks
    Hi guys,

I've been looking at upgrading my brakes from the standard discs and calipers to the BMW performance kit. Partly for the braking performance increase (although lets face it.. mostly for the visual looks). However I've found that because the 325i has a smaller handbrake shoe to the 330i and 335i (160mm compared to 185mm) the discs for the rear won't fit my hubs. The discs could be replaced by OEM discs but the pads would cover a smaller area.

There's no way I could fork out a huge sum of cash for a rear bbk simply to have nice looking rear brakes when its only the visual match to the front brakes i'm after

I've been having a think and the only options I could come up with were:

1. Get a supplier to make a one off set of discs (god knows what that would cost)
    2. See if I can get a replacement rear hub from a 330i to fit and use the BMW performance kit.

Anyone know if option 2 is viable?

2. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

3. This can be done! 
    Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    Magic3's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    e92 320d
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe

Thanks
    [QUOTE=Pete88;1025004]Hi guys,

I've been looking at upgrading my brakes from the standard discs and calipers to the BMW performance kit. Partly for the braking performance increase (although lets face it.. mostly for the visual looks). However I've found that because the 325i has a smaller handbrake shoe to the 330i and 335i (160mm compared to 185mm) the discs for the rear won't fit my hubs. The discs could be replaced by OEM discs but the pads would cover a smaller area.

There's no way I could fork out a huge sum of cash for a rear bbk simply to have nice looking rear brakes when its only the visual match to the front brakes i'm after

I've been having a think and the only options I could come up with were:

1. Get a supplier to make a one off set of discs (god knows what that would cost)
    2. See if I can get a replacement rear hub from a 330i to fit and use the BMW performance kit.

All you need to do is get a set of your standard 160 mm parking brake shoes re-lined with 16.5mm thickness (or thereabouts) linings.
    The theory being you need 25mm extra split between each shoe = 12.5mm on each. Standard linings are about 4mm so 16.5mm gives you enough to engage and for wear and future adjustment. There is very little wear on hand brake shoes - under normal use.
    I spent a long time researching this for my 320d e92 - mine has the 160mm rotor inner bell diameter as well. The increase in thickness means the brake shoes engage perfectly with the 185mm hub in the rear rotor when hand brake is applied. Also checked the rotor heights, depths etc and all were a match. So I actually ordered the 325d set for my car.
    Fitted them last week - spot on! I have pictures if you are interested. Everything works fine - I know it's not much to go by but car passed MOT the day after fitting and tester commented how good the brakes were. And they look fab!!!
    A replacement rear hub will cost a fortune - you'll need bearings and all sorts of other stuff. Specific discs are just not available - I trawled looking for close matches and came up with nothing.
    Anyway - a reasonably simple solution that works!

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Magic3 For This Useful Post:

macck (19-11-2013),mann (17-05-2013),Pete88 (14-05-2013)