BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

2004 E46 320ci brake upgrade

19K views 44 replies 10 participants last post by  Roby-TS50 
#1 ·
Hello all, I'm wanting to upgrade the brakes on my coupe, just wondering what's the best options. Weather to go for a bigger brake kit or just to fit braided hoses and new performance disc's and pads. What are your experiences?

Thanks James

#3 ·
a big brake kit is serious money...unless you stay in the E46 range and fit 330 stuff? (min 17" wheels though)
i've had the ebc redstuff v3 pads on for a while now...i'm very happy with them :)

#5 ·
A big brake kit does sound nice, but seems a bit unnecessary for a standard 320ci. I'd say go with some performence discs, EBC Greenstuffs, and braided hoses, and give the whole system a good flush with some nice 5.1 fluid (Though not necessarily 5.1 unless you give them a good beating from time to time) and while your at it may be worth doing the handbrake shoes as well.

I got mine from eBay, from a company that supply as a kit including Brembo Disc Blanks that they machine themselves (mine are drilled and grooved), EBC Green Pads, New sensors and Performance Handbrake shoes (bit unnecessary but what the heck) all for under £300 iirc. Coupled with Goodridge Braided hoses and race fluid my brakes are 10x better than before. The response is so much better & cooling is perfect.

Ahmet

#6 ·
Cheers, I was thinking big brake kit was abit excessive but just was wondering, the rear brake disc, pads, shoes fluid ect was all replaced last year but are all standard, but only done 2k on them so was just thinking of doing the fronts, or would ppl advise against that? I will defo be purchasing some braided hoses tho.

#7 ·
there is another option, my 323 uses the same calipers as the 328, but the carriers are different as the 328 uses bigger discs, i got myself a set of carriers ans all i need to do is fit then to the calipers(that don't need to come off) and i can put the bigger 328 discs on, i believe the 320 calipers are the same as another e46 model that uses bigger discs too, just look on realoem and search models with same calipers, 1 of them will have bigger discs and different carriers, your discs are 286mm and your calipers end with 113 and 114, the 325ci has 300mm discs and the calipers end with 113 and 114! so as far as i can see they are the models you will need the carriers off to get the 300mm disc upgrade http://www.bmminiparts.com/ i use this website all the time.

your car http://www.bmminiparts.com/CategoryDiagrams.aspx?MOSP=47615&HG=34

325ci http://www.bmminiparts.com/CategoryDiagrams.aspx?MOSP=47617&HG=34

#13 ·
yes mate you need the pads to, but its a danm site cheaper to get the carriers and good set of performance pads and some brembo discs than it is to get half a big brake upgrade, carriers are about £25 for all 4! pads are £40 front and discs are £70 and that gives you a good set of bigger brakes.

#19 ·
Order the carriers for a E46 328 (325 is the same though IIRC - you can check the caliper part number on Real OEM). They are the carriers for 300mm rotors (yours are 286mm stock, I think) - so just ensure you have 16" wheels or bigger.

Quarry Motors (our forum vendors) sold me a pair of carriers for about £35. This makes this mod an absolute bargin if your discs need replacing at the same time. :thumbsup

Also, if you ever order pads, EBC's pads for the E46 328 have a bigger friction area just for the 300mm discs - giving you (slightly) more stopping power. You'll notice cheaper manufacturer's pads are the same for both models... :shifty::shifty::shifty:

Reactions: rdh
#34 ·
Red stuff are a reasonable compromise in that area, but probably a little more suited to heavier / more powerful cars.

Green stuff should be ideal for your 320. Improved breaking without any extra warm up time. :thumbsup

I've also double checked the EBC parts numbers:

Basically a DPx914 is a pad for 286 mm rotors .

DPx1211 is specially for 300mm rotors.

(replace the x with a 2 for green stuff)

Reactions: rdh
#36 ·
I wouldn't say better, all compounds are a trade off. EBC do yellow stuff pads too - even better maximum bite, but longer warm up.

Unless you spend most of your driving speeding up and slamming your anchors hard everywhere, you'll probably get better performance out of the green stuff. Your money would be better spent changing you brake fluid for some good quality stuff that hasn't been absorbing moisture for the last few years.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.