330d SE Touring
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Estate
    Thanks
    Right,

done a search and there is loads of information on here on what i should do, thats fine. I'm looking to lower the car but the car handles like a bag of poo, i did think it was just the OEM suspension but after washing my car the other day i realised that the NSF wheel had major play in it. I thought it was the lower ball joint and after reading some post it more than likely is. I am on a budget but also realise i dont want to replace them every year, so i need to clarify a few things:

A: What are the best wishbones to get and where from as GSF have 2 types, el cheapo and el spend-abit-more??

B: What size bushes am i most likely to have and how hard can i push the old bushes out and replace them with Powerflex ones? Can i still use the old housing too? I am looking to do it within a morning and cant afford to have my car off the road.

C: Is there a major difference in standard to M-Tech wishbones?

2. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

RYM
    Legendary BFuk Member
    Car Details
    RYM's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    325tds
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Touring
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,935 Times in 3,119 Posts
    Can you PM me the last 7 digits of your chassis number so that I can check the sizes

I fitted a set of powerflex polyurethane bushes to another members car and he was really impressed with the difference it made

The original bush housing can be re-used once the old bush has been removed I chose to Cut through the bush with a hammer and chisel to allow enough room to get a hacksaw in and cut through the remaining rubber and steel bush surround.

I had to use a press to get the poly bush into the housing

The replacement bush comes in two pieces and looks like this once fitted

I have also replaced the wishbones on the same car 2002 E46 325ti-compact) You will need a ball joint separator and be warned that the outer ball joints are really tight and the inner ones are a pain in the arse to get onto. A 22mm socket and long extension bar should see you right

(I think the nuts on the old wishbone used a 21mm nut and the replacements used a 22mm nut)

The wishbones we fitted were purchased from GSF

4. The Following User Says Thank You to RYM For This Useful Post:

L16YD L (22-05-2009)

Bimmer Fan
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,115 Times in 5,338 Posts
    The Lemforder control arms as they are an approved manufacturer for BMW. ECP do them .

6. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

BMW Maestro
    Car Details
    sam_c's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    325ti
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Compact
    Thanks
    Rym - sorry to hijack the thread, but I was wondering, after fitting new bushes, do you need to carry out a proper 4 wheel alignment?

I've just had my O/S wisbone done and the a 4 wheel alignment as it was out, but couldn't stretch to the bushes as well because its service and MOT time as well. But there is still some 'slop' in the steering in the dead ahead position, so am guessing that the bushes are shot (they've never been done, I spoke with BMW who gave me a list of all the work ever done on it). Am hoping to chuck on a set of powerflex jobbies in the next couple of months.

RYM
    Legendary BFuk Member
    Car Details
    RYM's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    325tds
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Touring
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,935 Times in 3,119 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sam_c View Post
    Rym - sorry to hijack the thread, but I was wondering, after fitting new bushes, do you need to carry out a proper 4 wheel alignment?

I've just had my O/S wisbone done and the a 4 wheel alignment as it was out, but couldn't stretch to the bushes as well because its service and MOT time as well. But there is still some 'slop' in the steering in the dead ahead position, so am guessing that the bushes are shot (they've never been done, I spoke with BMW who gave me a list of all the work ever done on it). Am hoping to chuck on a set of powerflex jobbies in the next couple of months.

As it's related to the thread I'll answer here

Suspension components should be replaced in pairs and a four wheel alignment CHECK should be done after ANY suspension work

You will know if your bushes need replacing by carrying out a simple test.

Park the car on flat ground, engage the handbrake fully, hold the front wheel at 11 O'Clock and 2 O'clock then try to move the wheel back wards and forwards vigorously. If the wheel moves considerably then the bushes are shot, have a look underneath whilst somebody else does this for you and you will see just how much movement is in the bush. If the wheel barely moves then the bush is not at fault

9. The Following User Says Thank You to RYM For This Useful Post:

sam_c (21-05-2009)

BMW Master
    Car Details
    L16YD L's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    330d SE Touring
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Estate
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by NealP View Post
    The Lemforder control arms as they are an approved manufacturer for BMW. ECP do them .
    Yeah, i decided to go the Euro Car Parts as everyone was saying go for Lemforder as they where OE spec. £200 for the pair is not that bad i suppose. lol

BMW Master
    Car Details
    L16YD L's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    330d SE Touring
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Estate
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by A20 RYM View Post
    Can you PM me the last 7 digits of your chassis number so that I can check the sizes

I fitted a set of powerflex polyurethane bushes to another members car and he was really impressed with the difference it made

The original bush housing can be re-used once the old bush has been removed I chose to Cut through the bush with a hammer and chisel to allow enough room to get a hacksaw in and cut through the remaining rubber and steel bush surround.

I had to use a press to get the poly bush into the housing

The replacement bush comes in two pieces and looks like this once fitted

I have also replaced the wishbones on the same car 2002 E46 325ti-compact) You will need a ball joint separator and be warned that the outer ball joints are really tight and the inner ones are a pain in the arse to get onto. A 22mm socket and long extension bar should see you right

(I think the nuts on the old wishbone used a 21mm nut and the replacements used a 22mm nut)

The wishbones we fitted were purchased from GSF
    I got the Lemforder wishbones which have the ball joints with them so i dont think i need the splitter, i hope not any way. The last 7 of my chassis is FZ22889. I checked it on www.realoem.com and it says its a 66mm spec so i ordered some Powerflex ones, which im hoping to get today.

I know that the old bushes are going to be a bith so i got my Dremel ready to bore it out, going to do another pictorial again, see if it helps anyone.

Bimmer Fan
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,115 Times in 5,338 Posts
    No....dont use dremel...use a 2/3 leg bearing puller and save that original bush from the new arm..should be easy with the control arms not attached to the vehicle

BMW Master
    Car Details
    L16YD L's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    330d SE Touring
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Estate
    Thanks
    Well, finally done. I tried doing it myself this morning and had no luck with the getting the arms off. After 2 hours of trying i got really p*ssed off and called my mate at Vauxhall and paid him a visit. Within the hour the new wishbones and bushes are on. The car was immediately different as i drove it out, handles so well.