Model of Car:
    320d Sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    saloon

Thanks
    I have been having a problem with the handbrake on our 2003 320d Sport.
    The handbrake has been adjusted twice in the past 3 weeks, but after a few days it will not hold the car if it's on an incline.
    My mechanic stripped the rear discs down last Wednesday, & couldn't find anything wrong. Handbrake pads were fine, & mechanism seemed to be ok.
    Has anyone experienced this problem, & what was the solution?
    BMW 320d Sport Saloon
    VW Golf MkIV 25th Anniversary (REVO 210bhp)

2. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

BMW Guru
    Car Details
    Deano16v's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    745i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Auto
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon

Thanks
    Thanked 1,154 Times in 1,001 Posts
    how is he adjusting it mate? without sounding patronising does your mechanic know that the handbrake shoes sit inside the rear drum and can be adjusted there as well as from the handle?

the handbrakes are pretty cack at the best of times though to be fair. mine holds but i still dont trust it so always leave it in gear

Bimmer Fan
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,115 Times in 5,338 Posts
    How to set up parking brake:

1. Lift parking hand brake boot out of the console. While holding cables stationary, loosen parking brake cable nuts until parking cables are completely slack.
    2. Raise rear of car making sure it is firmly supported on jacks.
    3. Remove one wheel bolt for each rear wheel. Turn wheel until the bolt hole lines up with the parking brake adjuster (approximately 65 degrees to rear of wheel centreline).
    4. Using a screwdriver, turn adjuster to expand brake shoes until wheel can no longer turn, then back adjuster off. Repeat procedure for other wheel.
    5. Working inside the car, work set parking brake several times to seat the cable. Tighten cable adjusting nuts until it is just possible to turn rear wheels with slight resistance.
    6. Release brake lever and make sure wheels turn freely.
    7. Turn on ignition and make sure brake light comes on as soon as lever is pulled.
    8. Install parking brake lever boot. Install wheel bolts and set car back on the ground.

5. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    pauldazzle's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    320d Sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    saloon

Thanks
    Yeah they know BMW's. Owns a X5 & his partner owns a M3.
    They stripped the rear discs & calipers down & inspected & cleaned the Handbrake pads/mechanism also cleaned the inside of the drums as they had a bit of a lip.
    They didn't touch the handbrake lever end of things so maybe thats the next step.
    The previous owner also had BMW adjust the handbrake at it's last service 4000 miles ago.
    BMW 320d Sport Saloon

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    pauldazzle's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    320d Sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    saloon

Thanks
    Ok this problem still persists, & is doing my head in.
    Car went back to the dealer as it's still under warranty. So their mechanics set the handbrake as described by NealP, & it was great for a couple of days, but yet again it's not holding the car when on an incline.
    What is really strange is that if I put the handbrake on & try to pull away in 1st gear it holds well, but if I then stick it in reverse it shows little resistance !! Got me completely baffled as I cant see why there should be any difference.
    So it's going back in on Tuesday, but if anyone can shed any light on what the fault might be i'd be very grateful.
    BMW 320d Sport Saloon

BMW Master
    Car Details
    Matt8808's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    316i SE Facelift
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon
    Thanks

I wouldnt worry a great deal. My handbrake is EXACTLY the same. My car is a 2003 316. The handbrake wasnt holding and had to be pulled up really far for it to grip. So it went to the garage to be fixed. The mechanism that adjusts the handbrake was seized so they unjammed it and it then held the car tightly after just 4 clicks, but the car would still roll backwards after applying the handbrake on a steep hill. So I tried doing the cleaning methind stated in the handbook where you pull the handbrake while rolling to a stop, and I got lots of smoke and it then wouldnt hold the car at all
    Its just been back in today. They've replaced the pads for the handbrake and also cleaned the handbrake sides of the disks. It holds great on flat roads and wont let me pull away if its on, but it still doesnt fill me with trust on hills. Ive got to pull it really tight (maybe 8 clicks) for it to hold on a sleep hill. I'm guessing its a common thing and something I'm just going to have to live with

LinkBacks (?)