BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

2003 E46 316ti compact - Questions regarding tracking, new springs and bushes

2K views 19 replies 7 participants last post by  Bigbenstrikes 
#1 ·
Hey you guys!!

Im planning on getting some eibach pro springs and powerflex front wishbone rear bushes in the next couple weeks.

Should i wait a while before getting 4 wheel allignment done?

I know the springs take a couple weeks to settle.. so what about the bushes?

Also when i slip the 19's on will i need to get it tracked again or not??

Thanks again!

Ben

#2 ·
how long after getting the springs and bushes will it be before you get the 19"s??

also are you going for the pro springs or sport ones now??

#4 ·
top man :hihi

you won't be sorry i'm sure..

I'd say you could get away with waiting until you get the wheels before having the 4WA done..

probably not ideal but I lowered my car and changed the wheels.. then 6 months later changed bushes and had 4WA done and my tyres haven't worn down unevenly or anything like that.. so hasn't hurt my car :D

#6 ·
give it about 6 weeks for the springs to settle...

what price have you been quoted for the 4WA??

#8 ·
40 quid to fit the bushes is really good!!

but 100 for a 4WA??

think of it this way.. do the springs/bushes 6 weeks before you get the wheels and save yourself 100 quid for the extra 4WA.. could treat yourself to something then.. maybe a clubsport weighted gearknob :hihi

#9 ·
Local place to me quoted £40 for front only alignment, and £40 again for rear.

Not sure what is the best thing to do, but since I first had my wishbone and bushes changed, the steering wheel has been slightly to the right so you might find it happen to yours too (needs alignment).

You could always try to find a 4WA place that will CHECK it for free, and let you know if it actually is really in need of doing?

#10 ·
if the steering is slightly to the right shox just get the tracking done, any tyre place will do that, shouldn't cost more than £25!

#12 ·
Ben my advice is, get the alignment CHECKED on each and every alteration:thumbsup

Most establishments offer a FREE check, IF it needs doing then get it done. I worked in the trade long enough to inform you that I bet you will need it done 90 % of the time that it is checked;)

:thumbsup

PS If you are told that it is out, then ask them to SHOW you:D

Find out and let me know what system the garage that you use has at it's disposal;)

:thumbsup

#15 ·
Well mr rym...

I went to my local ats and they got it on the ramp and had a look on the computer and it said it needs to be weighted etc which they dont do so ide have to go to bmw... Went to my dealers and they said they dont have a machine but they use the hunter machine at toyota so i went there and they quoted me 100 pound and they dont do free checks... LAME!! Lol

Ive decided im going to save many of my pennies and get the wheels bushes ans springs at around the same time.. Then wat 6 weeks for the suspension to settle then get it alligned... That sound good?

#16 ·
sounds good Ben! :thumbsup

how long you looking at until you get that little lot done??

you still going to get bilstein shocks same time??

#19 ·
Yeah mine cost me £89. I got a free check before any cash parted my pocket. I also when there a week later and got it re-done for FREE once my new powerflex bushes were fitted :hihi

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.