BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

2002 E46 320d, suspension question

3K views 6 replies 2 participants last post by  shrekster 
#1 ·
Hi,
I'll be replacing my shocks (Bilstein), front control arms (Meyle) and bushes (Powerflex) sometime next week, are there any unusual nut sizes or tools required before i start? I have a pretty well spec'd tool box with most socket/spanner sizes already.
My front control arm bushes are crying out for replacement and one of my rear shocks is leaking so i thought i'd replace the whole lot in one go. I've read a few comments already on the board but i thought i'd just check before i actually start that there are no special tools required.
thanks,
Jim.

#7 ·
Well, i finished replacing the shocks, wishbones and bushes and i can honestly say i don't think i've worked as hard on a car, every bolt was a battle. The suspension struts weren't too bad but the wishbone balljoints were a b*gger with the nuts so badly rusted i could barely get the spanner to grip. The balljoint at the hub/wishbone was almost on for keeps!
I also noticed the brake hoses were badly perished and cracked:jaw-dropping, my heart skipped a beat when i saw that. The calipers are in a hell of a state with one burst dust seal, Euro car parts do exchange units for about £50 each so i'll get some next week along with some stainless brake lines and pads. My credit card will be taking a beating again!
I have to say though the car does look good with lots of new shiney bits:hihi

I didn't know the OEM wishbone bushes were oil filled, or at least one was, the other was so badly worn i'm amazed the car drove as well as it did. Hopefully i can get all the brake parts asap and get the car rolling again as i don't fancy driving it with the brakes as they are, thank god i noticed that one.

Jim.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.