2002 318ci E46 convertible - how low can i go?

Notices

Thread: 2002 318ci E46 convertible - how low can i go?

Reply to Thread
  1. 2002 318ci E46 convertible - how low can i go? 
    BMW Fanatic
    Car Details
    HydroGrow's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    330ci
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Convertible
    Thanks
    i have an mtec body kit and rims on my ci... i want to make it the ride height the same as the sport model or maybe even slightly lower? what height would you guys recommend as i dont want to get carried away and ruin the ride and de no arch scrapin nonsense...

qs - how much lower or what size springs do i need to drop it t the same height as the sport model?
    Qs 2 - do i need anything else other than springs?
    Qs 3 - can any one recommend any good brands at a good price? or would i be better obtaining the original msport springs and putting them on my car as a family member is a mechanic for bmw he can get them and fit them,

thank you in advance for any help at all...

2. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

Bimmerforums Central
    Car Details
    Boostist's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    E46 320i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,426 Times in 1,481 Posts
    Moved to the right forum.

I dont know the exact height of the sport model, but you will need to use the sport springs and dampers to match the ride height Im guessing.

Minimum drop you can do using aftermarket dampers and springs is about 40mm front and rear, which was a bit too much on my last M3.

it became a pain navigating speed bumps and the like although it didnt scrape or catch the tyres etc

You can get thicker spring cups for the rear (at least you can for the E36) that will make the spring effectively higher and I think the thickest one is 10mm.

So that would be 30mm drop rear and 40mm drop front using Eibach springs and Bilstein Dampers (the ones I would recommend)

Otherwise you will need coilovers and its NOT worth cheaping out on them IME.... so your looking at a grand minimum and more hassle and potential tyre scraping if you run weird offset alloys