Model of Car:
    330Ci
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Convertible
    Thanks
    Advice please guys, my 2001 e46 330Ci vert sits on 18" MV1s with Falken 452s all round (18 x 8 fronts, 18 x 8.5 rears). The distance between the lip of the wing to the centre of the wheel is as follows:-

Right front 360mm, Left front 355mm, Right rear 335mm, Left rear 330mm. There is at least 40mm of space between the front tyres and the lip of each wing, so the front is sitting high and I guess I could lower it by 40mm without any problems with tyre rub.

I've read that eibach pro springs are good but my question to you experts out there in bimmerland is this, should I fit just new springs or go the whole hog and fit complete springs and new shocks all round? Or maybe really break the bank and go for coilovers?

Any advice would be great, cheers......happy days
    2001 E46 330 Ci Convertible
    Too fast but not furious

2. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    xXxStKxXx's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    325i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    man
    Car Body Type:
    saloon

Thanks
    Thanked 6,073 Times in 4,855 Posts
    I wouldn't use coilovers personally-not unless I was using it as a track car.Coilovers are not very comfortable and need to be set up properly.If you get the Eibach pro street kit you won't need to change the shocks When I come to changing mine again I am going to get Eibach springs and bilsteins shocks...I already have bilsteins shocks which are very very good

4. The Following User Says Thank You to xXxStKxXx For This Useful Post:

glimmerman (02-05-2011)

BMW Guru
    Car Details
    Kevin Whittaker's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    E30 325iSE, E36 M3 convertible and E91 330i Msport
    Year of Manufacture:
    1988, 1997 & 2008
    Transmission Type:
    Manual, Manual & Automatic
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe, Convertible & Touring
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,020 Times in 3,812 Posts
    As StK says really, cheaper coilovers can be very harsh and uncomfortable and the top end kits are very expensive being designed for track use and have a myriad of adjustments not only to baffle and tie you in knots but probably spoil the overall ride of your car...

If you are going to drop it 40mm I would advice new shocks at the same time, either Eibach or Boge springs are best and again as already said, Bilstein shocks are awesome, if a touch expensive for most of us - Boge do a great range of shocks which are OE on most BMW's (I fitted them to my M3 and I am very pleased with the results).

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Kevin Whittaker For This Useful Post:

glimmerman (02-05-2011)

7. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

BMW Crazed
    Car Details
    Tim323's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    323ci
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Convertible
    Thanks
    I'm in the same situation as glimmerman. I also have 18's but tyres measure 225/40R18 all round. Again I was thinking along the same lines of around 40mm at the front (because its up in the clouds) and 25-30mm at the rear. I looked into coilovers, but to get a decent set-up it ganna cost me, plus the ride in my opinion is a little too harsh. I was looking at these - http://www.carperformanceuk.co.uk/in...oduct&id=67554 (but any other suggestions are much appreciated).

I'm a complete novice when it comes to modifying cars so forgive me if this is incorrect! The only thing that concerns me is I want to try and maintain the ride comfort a bit (I realise that it will be a little harsher) and also with lowering the car, the wheels are going to have increased negative cambered which will produce uneven tyre wear. Can this be re-corrected with wheel alignment alone or can adjustable top mounts help with this?

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Tim323 For This Useful Post:

glimmerman (02-05-2011)