320D
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Touring

Thanks
    Hello there
    I have to change the front off side brake caliper on my 320D 2001. I was unsure what tools are needed to diconnect the hose so i can take the caliper off. I have taken the caliper off to check it but not the hose and it can not be repaired as is badly coroded. Please can you help in how I manage with the hose part of undoing.
    Thanks
    Julian

2. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

RYM
    Legendary BFuk Member
    Car Details
    RYM's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    325tds
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Touring
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,935 Times in 3,119 Posts
    Retitled thread and moved to correct forum

Please note that the "How To" section is for members to post up how to undertake certain procedures and not for asking general questions

Lex
    Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    Lex's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    318i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon

Thanks
    This may be a little late but you never know.

I haven't actually taken a capiper off on a BMW but I assume it will be pritty much the same as any other car.

You can buy break pipe clips that you clip onto the rubber hoses which stop the majority of break fluid dripping out. I haven't actually ever bothered buying the clips tbh as I find just using a pair of mull grips to pinch the hose works fine.

After you have cliped the hose you can just use a spanner to crack the bolt on the hose that goes into the caliper, I would do this before I undo the caliper personally.

Then just unbolt the caliper and when it is free twist it off the break hose.

Then just follow this process backwards to fit your new caliper.

Remeber you will need to bleed the caliper after you have done this to get all the air out of the system.

Hope this helps.

5. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

BMW Maestro
    Car Details
    Egon's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    323SE
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon

Thanks
    First up, youre gonna need new copper washers for the "banjo" bolt that holds the hose union to the caliper.
    without those, dont even bother doing anything else. Dont re-use the old ones (unless youre good an annealing) they'll be shagged.

1)Loosen wheel bolts
    2)car up on axel stands SECURELY.
    3)wheel off. (clean it at this point too, with a coat of sealer and then wax..)
    clamp the hose with mole grips (with some card in there to stop the pipe getting mashed)
    4) you'll need to get the pads out, so unclip the metal spring wassit and pull out the outside pad, if you can.
    5)Get the banjo bolt off, think its eith a 10mm or 11mm spanner*.discard dead coppers washers.there will be one on both sides of the banjo. DONT RE-USE THEM. theyre a one shot wonder.
    6) think its either a 16mm 17mm or 18mm socket/spanner* to undo the caliper mounting bolts (mount the caliper to the hub). cant remember which. THEY WILL BE FAPPING TIGHT.and then some.
    7)caliper off. pad removed from piston. dont drop onto the bleed nipple if youre exchanging calipers cos they dont like that...!!

If you want the sliders out, then they are a 7mm allen key, which again is an odd size and most people dont have one.

*theyre odd sizes for a reason--to stop people undoing the wrong ones accidentally!