BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

2001 E46 318i - Drilled grooved brake discs

4K views 10 replies 10 participants last post by  Bremsen Technik UK 
#1 ·
hey guys looking to upgrade my brakes on the e46 was thinking of drilled and grooved all round what do use guy recommened and what price should i be looking to pay inc pads all round cheers Thomas

#3 ·
been tempted a few times too upgrade too drilled and grooved..but are they really an upgrade?i had a pug306 gti6 and thot i was upgrading till my mech said that the originals were actually thicker discs and the drilled and grooved wer more liable too warping..which proved correct,anyway be prepaired too pay about £180 a pair off discs for the front and £160 for the rear set tho euro car parts etc will be cheaper again....or as stk says try the forum vendor as a discount will benefit:D

#4 · (Edited)
Its really the pads that make the difference and not the discs. Also bear in mind with many lower end drilled discs, they have been known to deteriorate due to developing cracks around the holes. Also with grooved discs there will be an increase in braking noise.

Personally I can appreciate many people would like to add some asthetics to their cars. As a result I would say get something like the Brembo Maxx discs supplied from GSFCP along with either OE, Textar, Ate or Ferodo DS2500 brake pads and jobs a good un'.

However do not be fooled by marketing hype for many 'known' products that will cost more yet offer no improvement in braking.

Fwiw, with the Supra's, many have adviced me not to go for the D2 racing 8 piston set up as its not as good as my OE Toyota set up. However I have been advised that the drilled/grooved or drilled & grooved discs will make no improvement, its the pads that will improve it. As a result I'm sticking with Either OE brakes or just upgrading the pads with OE discs.

#7 ·
I agree!!! :lol:lol:lol

Reactions: steve23002
#10 ·
I looked into it when mine needed doing earlier this year, but pretty much everyone (including the chaps at GSF) said I wouldn't notice any more performance - just more noise. I ended up going for some Brembo discs (O.E quality) and some high performance pads (unfortunately the pads turned out to be a bad idea - loads of power, but they squealed like stuck pigs around town / under light braking). I've now got o.e quality Textar's and they're very good for the money (half the price of the pads that I've had to junk).

The likes of EBC are either loved of hated, Pagid seem to have a good reputation - but can be pricey, if you wanted to try some non o.e pads.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.