BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

2001 E46 316ti - is powerflexing the rear trailing arm bushes that hard of a job??

2K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  Disco Stu 
#1 ·
exactly as above..??

i've heard this is supposed to be some monster job and that a lot of garages wouldnt take on the work??

is this true?????? would it cost me huge amounts in labour?

#2 ·
Please edit your title in accordance with forum rules. This helps to facilitate the search function and enables members to give the most appropriate advice.

Your title should resemble the following format

YEAR / Exx MODEL DESIGNATION / MODEL - ISSUE

#4 ·
should take a garage less than that then surely?

i've been told by 2 people that they are a nightmare job! god knows what they were on about?!?

p.s.. I can't edit the title..

#7 ·
your right, I need to query prices with a couple of different places!

i was advised when i had my 4 wheel alignment done that the rear trailing arm bushes were starting to show some wear so want to get them done in the next couple of months..

#8 ·
Pair of RTAB's with the tool should take approx an hour. Without the special tool 2 hrs max. As mentioned, powerflex bushes are a piece of piddle to fit as they come in 2 halfs and dont need pressing in.
A rear wheel alignment is needed after these have been replaced. I dont recommend straight away as they need to settle, but about 50 - 100 miles later...:thumbsup

#10 ·
£75 a corner?! Im guessing they either didn't have this "special tool" or they charged about £150 an hour labour??

I have asked my nearest BMW indy and they said they'd do both bushes for £70

#12 ·
i had mine done by an ex bmw head technician! £90 and he said they are a nightmare to take out! as the metal perishes to the holder, he had to cut mine out as they weren't budgeing! yes they are easy to fit, if the old 1s arn't there! but not really a home job with a set of ramps, and no where near as easy as the fronts!
Be care full what you do as i wouldn't advise you to do this at home, you could end up with a right f up on your hands!

#14 ·
i take it the e36 may be easier to do then? as the steelers said they were crap to do even with the tool, and the indi also said mine were a nightmare to get out! and as said he was bmw's ex head technician.

#15 ·
Mine were that bad that the rubber more or less fell out, making it much easier to get the outer metal part out of the arms. The new bushes were a complete bitch to get in, it took me ages, also I either snapped or buggered the thread on three threaded bars trying to get them in. I'm not saying it's easy, far from it, if I had to do it again then I'd spend the extra on poly bushes to save the ballache tbh..

As always, the big hammer came into play. If in doubt....big hammer! :thumbsup

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.