2000 E46 323 - powerflex bushes, what are peoples experiances? - Page 6

Notices

Thread: 2000 E46 323 - powerflex bushes, what are peoples experiances?

Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast
    BMW Crazed
    Car Details
    boyoracer21's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    E36 316i Compact
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    Compact
    Thanks
    Got mine coming for the front of my E36 Compact should be here Monday.
    Changing lower wishbones,new ARB drop links at the same time so should tighten everything back up.
    Oh and new power steering rack and pump-so should be deffo better than the soggy feeling I am getting at the moment.
    Possible new shocks and springs all round.(hottunning doing some deals at the moment)
    Will let you know how I get on
    Boyo

2. The Following User Says Thank You to boyoracer21 For This Useful Post:

RYM (27-06-2009)

3. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

RYM
    Legendary BFuk Member
    Car Details
    RYM's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    325tds
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Touring
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,935 Times in 3,119 Posts
    You will notice a great difference

Also, do you still need assistance with the steering pump removal? Totally slipped my mind the other day

My apologies, been rather busy getting the coupe sorted out

BMW Crazed
    Car Details
    juggyvampire's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    318 Aiiiiii
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    saloon
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by A20 RYM View Post
    Steve is correct, The lowest you should go on standard type shocks is 40mm. Anything after requires what they call a shortened shock. The reason for this is exactly as Steve has explained

The above is the CORRECT way of lowering a car, often you will see 60mm springs fitted to a car that is still using standard shocks
    that figures my front is 60mm lower and back 40mm and its shite need new shocks now standard just dont do it for me its a bit soft and wobbly
    i dont leave a carbon footprint ,just two 9.5" tyre marks .....

BMW Crazed
    Car Details
    boyoracer21's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    E36 316i Compact
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    Compact
    Thanks
    Also, do you still need assistance with the steering pump removal? Totally slipped my mind the other day[/QUOTE]

Thanks but I should be okay.
    Started with my dads atco at the age of 11 haven't stopped.If it's got an engine I''ll fix it.
    Knowing there's people that know their stuff on here reassures me+ working in the motorsport industry for the last 20 years helps
    Boyo

7. The Following User Says Thank You to boyoracer21 For This Useful Post:

RYM (27-06-2009)

RYM
    Legendary BFuk Member
    Car Details
    RYM's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    325tds
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Touring
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,935 Times in 3,119 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by boyoracer21 View Post
    Also, do you still need assistance with the steering pump removal? Totally slipped my mind the other day
    Thanks but I should be okay.
    Started with my dads atco at the age of 11 haven't stopped.If it's got an engine I''ll fix it.
    Knowing there's people that know their stuff on here reassures me+ working in the motorsport industry for the last 20 years helps
    Boyo[/quote]

Perhaps I have confused myself I had a member PM me asking for assistance and I can't remember who it was

Removing the pulley to get to 2 of the bolts that secure it in position is probably the hardest part Sounds like you will be fine though

BMW Fanatic
    Car Details
    Russ and his BM's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    318i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Touring

Thanks
    OK, the job is done. 3 dzus fasteners 6 x 16 mm bolts and the undertray brace thing was off. 2 more 16 mm bolts per side for the lollipops themselves and ... grunt, puff, sweat, swear, hmmmmm, I wish I had that 3 legged puller. Trip to halfords later (a fleecing I know but it was Sunday...), and the old bushes pulled away in 2 mins a side, new ones straight on, quick tap with a rubber mallet to seat them fully and whack it all together. An hour a side I reckon, tops.

Vauxfan, lollipops inbound as soon as I can get to the post office!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Russ and his BM For This Useful Post:

vauxfan (29-06-2009)

BMW Guru
    Car Details
    vauxfan's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    325 sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    automatic
    Car Body Type:
    loon
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ and his BM View Post
    OK, the job is done. 3 dzus fasteners 6 x 16 mm bolts and the undertray brace thing was off. 2 more 16 mm bolts per side for the lollipops themselves and ... grunt, puff, sweat, swear, hmmmmm, I wish I had that 3 legged puller. Trip to halfords later (a fleecing I know but it was Sunday...), and the old bushes pulled away in 2 mins a side, new ones straight on, quick tap with a rubber mallet to seat them fully and whack it all together. An hour a side I reckon, tops.

Vauxfan, lollipops inbound as soon as I can get to the post office!
    Cool mate! HOW DOES THE CAR FEEL NOW? do you think it has been worth it?, glad you got them off ok. When you said the old bushes pulled away in 2 mins, did you mean all of the bush including the centre, or just the rubber like in the vid? And also how did you get under your car? was it on axle stands? cheers m8, looking forward to doing mine now

BMW Fanatic
    Car Details
    Model of Car:
    318i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Touring

Thanks
    It feels a little more solid, but then my car only has 60k on it so my bushes were hardly in tatters beforehand - I just wanted to nip any problems in the bud. The ride/noise isn't too harsh or anything tho which is good.

I pulled the whole bush assembly (ie including the lollipops) off in one go. In fact it was the rim off the lollipops which the legs of the 3 legged puller located onto. It all came off together.

And yes, axle stands the way ahead, get the whole front of the car up, and both front wheels off.

Good luck!

BMW Guru
    Car Details
    vauxfan's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    325 sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    automatic
    Car Body Type:
    loon
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ and his BM View Post
    It feels a little more solid, but then my car only has 60k on it so my bushes were hardly in tatters beforehand - I just wanted to nip any problems in the bud. The ride/noise isn't too harsh or anything tho which is good.

I pulled the whole bush assembly (ie including the lollipops) off in one go. In fact it was the rim off the lollipops which the legs of the 3 legged puller located onto. It all came off together.

And yes, axle stands the way ahead, get the whole front of the car up, and both front wheels off.

Good luck!
    where did you put the axle stands to support the car? i noticed the jacking point is just capable of fitting the jack in, but where is it strong enough to rest the car on the stands? i would have used the plate undernieth, but that needs to come off, so no good!. sounds like your lollie pops might have been quite new to come off so easily! i think to be sure i will get a 3 legged puller, just in case. ps what size bushes did you know to order, they are 60mm and 66mm right? how do you mesure or know which 1s are right?

BMW Fanatic
    Car Details
    Model of Car:
    318i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Touring

Thanks
    I put axle stands under the jacking points on either side of the car, having jacked it up using the metal plate, but then I have a sort trolley jack which can lift without damaging the underside of the car.

Do get a 3 legged puller, the job is impossible in my experience without one.

I ordered 66mm bushes, and that's what size the lollipops I am sending to you are. If your car is an early car (don't know the year they changed over, sorry) it may have 60 mm lollipops in which case, you can't/shouldn't fit 66mm ones. The way to measure is across the internal diameter of the bush housing. Or, equally, the outer metal sleeve of your old bush (almost exactly the same size as they are an interference fit.

Don't want to put you off, and please take this in the spirit it's meant, but if you're not sure about placing the car on axle stands is this job within your capabilities - I mean we are talking about suspension, which needs to be spot on or your car might not be safe. Garages don't charge the earth for this job (sub £100). Just a thought. Good luck dude!

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast