1999 E46 323i Lowering. What's best? - Page 2

Notices

Thread: 1999 E46 323i Lowering. What's best?

Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    J0N
    BMW Maestro
    Car Details
    J0N's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    318 Ci M Sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe
    Thanks
    I've been looking at the Jamex and it's got me thinking. How do you adjust the ride height? What is the procedure, etc? I'm a little worried about these as it appears that the ride height is adjusted by compressing or decompressing the springs with the lower collar. It seems Calluhan has got it just right but surely going too far in either direction without being able to adjust the damping in terms of bump and rebound you would be entering very dodgy territory. Some people it seems go for coilovers because they want to 'slam' their cars but if you were to do this without adjusting the damping to suit I would imagine the springs would in effect become overly soft and the car would bottom out a lot. If you put Jamex Coilovers in Google you will get loads of reviews from many different forums, some good, some bad.
    Clicky.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

BMW Crazed
    Car Details
    Calluhan's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    M5
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon
    Images
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by J0N View Post
    I've been looking at the Jamex and it's got me thinking. How do you adjust the ride height? What is the procedure, etc? I'm a little worried about these as it appears that the ride height is adjusted by compressing or decompressing the springs with the lower collar. It seems Calluhan has got it just right but surely going too far in either direction without being able to adjust the damping in terms of bump and rebound you would be entering very dodgy territory. Some people it seems go for coilovers because they want to 'slam' their cars but if you were to do this without adjusting the damping to suit I would imagine the springs would in effect become overly soft and the car would bottom out a lot. If you put Jamex Coilovers in Google you will get loads of reviews from many different forums, some good, some bad.
    Clicky.
    Agreed mate

Where Jamex seems to have it right is that the lowest setting for the front coilovers means no compression of the springs whatsoever - therefore lowest front ride height means maximum spring (2 of them remember) available travel.

The rears are separate springs that fit onto an adjustable cup with a separate uprated shock- spring travel unaffected as maximum travel available regardless of ride height.

Hope that made sense J0N?

J0N
    BMW Maestro
    Car Details
    J0N's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    318 Ci M Sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Calluhan View Post

Hope that made sense J0N?
    I see what you mean, yes. It sounds like the rears are not strictly coilovers then and if you're going to use this setup you need to be sensible in terms of ride height which it seems you have done Calluhan so nice one.

I think the advert and the information available is perhaps a little misleading though, it implies that if you want to lower your car without spending a fortune then these are the answer and in certain cases they would be but not a lot is mentioned about handling characteristics.

BMW Crazed
    Car Details
    Calluhan's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    M5
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon
    Images
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by J0N View Post
    I see what you mean, yes. It sounds like the rears are not strictly coilovers then and if you're going to use this setup you need to be sensible in terms of ride height which it seems you have done Calluhan so nice one.

I think the advert and the information available is perhaps a little misleading though, it implies that if you want to lower your car without spending a fortune then these are the answer and in certain cases they would be but not a lot is mentioned about handling characteristics.
    True. I suppose thats where research of your own comes in. Certainly Gaz off these forums thinks its an improvement over his Msport setup and it suits me much better than my SE setup - makes the stance far better and improves handling no end without sacrificing ride quality - so yes, a cheap solution that works

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12