Model of Car:
    523i SE
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon

Thanks
    I had the very common problem of the traction control triangle and abs light on the dash with no speedometer so found information to try to establish which (if any) of my speed sensors were at fault.
    I tried removing the passanger rear sensor to inspect it but it seems that it had perished so badly that when I tried turning it to release it the piece where the bolt goes just fell off and when I attempted to pull the rest out with a mole grips, that just snapped off too. So all that was left was trying to pull it out by the wires which of course snapped.
    At the moment it sits flush with the hub and i've made no further attempt to remove it.
    I decided to try posting here in hopes of tried and tested methods of removal (hopefully easy ones that won't require dismantling the whole axle)

2. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    Dewitts's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    523i SE
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon

Thanks
    Yeah I was guessing i'd have to do that, never done that before and not sure I have the tools or knowhow to do it.
    I've changed my discs and pads on it myself and I was *HOPING* to see a response saying you can get at it by removing the discs or something.
    I've got till the new sensor comes in a few days anyway so will wait to see if someone pulls a rabbit outta the hat for me.

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    Dewitts's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    523i SE
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon

Thanks
    Thanks, I was contemplating trying an "e z out" stud extractor or a jml screw extractor, but access with the dust guard would make that awfully difficult.

5. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

BMW Guru
    Car Details
    Kevin Whittaker's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    E30 325iSE, E36 M3 convertible and E91 330i Msport
    Year of Manufacture:
    1988, 1997 & 2008
    Transmission Type:
    Manual, Manual & Automatic
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe, Convertible & Touring
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,020 Times in 3,812 Posts
    I have always managed to get them out with an old screwdriver as a chisel - rough I know, but it's snapped already. Not had to remove the hub on one myself yet.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Kevin Whittaker For This Useful Post:

Dewitts (23-06-2011)

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    Dewitts's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    523i SE
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Whittaker View Post
    I have always managed to get them out with an old screwdriver as a chisel - rough I know, but it's snapped already. Not had to remove the hub on one myself yet.
    See now that's the kind of tip I was hoping for!
    How did you do it exactly Kev? Did you put the screwdrier flat against the metal and tap all the way around to try and seperate the sensor from the hub? or did you dig into the middle and then tilt the screwdriver up and down to try and drag it out?
    I didn't try either of those partly due to not having time and worrying about only getting half the sensor out or leaving bits behind which would end up stuck inside.
    My sensor is the BMW original so has been in there since 1999 so it's very brittle.

Car Details
    thepurpleblob's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    840Ci Sport, 330Ci Clubsport, X3 2.0d SE
    Year of Manufacture:
    1999, 2003, 2004
    Transmission Type:
    Automatic, Automatic, Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe, Coupe, SAV
    Images
    Thanks
    (on an e38) I drilled mine out. Unfortunately I didn't do it carefully enough and damaged the stator. It doesn't take much to end up with a 'plausibility error'. I had to replace the front bearing/hub assembly, which could have been worse. Like it could have been the rear which is much more fun to take apart.

I would just go slowly and keep checking with a good strong light. The sensor is basically plastic and should dig out with some hand tools and patience. They seem to stick solid to the hub carrier so I don't think there's any trick to it.

BMW Crazed
    Car Details
    markyp's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    318 SE
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Touring
    Thanks
    Just changed mine last weekend, like yours, old sensor just fell apart - the bits you can get hold of anyway! So like has been suggested, drill out the remainder, making shure you don't damage hub carrier or hub. The rest of the sensor should also break-up and you can 'poke' it out.
    If the E39 is anything like the E46 your right to tackle the rear passenger side first, because thats the one that controls the speedo!

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    aktansrt's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    528i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Automatic
    Car Body Type:
    Touring

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by markyp View Post
    Just changed mine last weekend, like yours, old sensor just fell apart - the bits you can get hold of anyway! So like has been suggested, drill out the remainder, making shure you don't damage hub carrier or hub. The rest of the sensor should also break-up and you can 'poke' it out.
    If the E39 is anything like the E46 your right to tackle the rear passenger side first, because thats the one that controls the speedo!
    Just remember that rear-passenger side refers to rear-right in the US, which feeds the cruise control, not the speedo.

I have the same issue, where the OEM (Siemens) rear speed sensor in my 2000 E39 simply crumbled when I tried to pull it out. There is no way that these plastic things are made to be taken out after 13 years of sitting in the hub. Heat/cold/salt cycle makes them very brittle.

Here is how I got it out. This was my rear left sensor. Go to your hardware store and get a very pointy tipped, about 5-8cm long wood screws. Buy a few different lengths if you will, but make sure that they are not very thick in profile. If you need to, you can drill a small pilot hole in the broken sensor just to get the screw started. Once you get the screw well into the sensor, you will need some leverage to pull it out. Take your average pliers and squeeze screw as if you were to cut it (put it sideways) somewhere near the back end of the screw, just to be able to get a good hold of the screw. Place some hard substance (I used on of my 3/8 extension tips) between the open tip of the pliers and the hub as the fulcrum point (to support the pliers when you are pulling the screw out). Now you have a mechanism with plenty of leverage to pull the screw out with the old sensor. Now gently pull (rotate if you will) the pliers and pull the screw/sensor out of the hub. It worked like a charm for me.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to aktansrt For This Useful Post:

Class-- (10-05-2013),TheEnd (09-05-2013)