BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1998 E36 328i touring suspension advice

993 views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  chopperharris77 
#1 ·
well this weekend I visited family who live in liverpool around 260 mile trip and last night went to the local asda, and parked car on the drive around 1/2 hour later heard a strange loud bang come from the drive but looked out window and saw nothing strange so ignored it, I have just gone to use the car to find my passenger wheel is buried into my wheel arch, the spring has snapped clean in half while it was sat on the drive. so basically that what the noise was the spring letting go under tension thank god it didnt go while on the m6.

going to order some sports springs can anyone suggest a good set up? has anyone used the full sports kits on ebay (springs and shocks) and are snapped springs common. max budget atm is £200 as Im having a bad month

cars a 328i tourer

#2 ·
a good set up is eibach pro kit springs :)
designed to work with standard shocks too.
springs do snap but generally only at the bottom where corrosion has set in...think you were unlucky to have a spring go like yours

#4 ·
A common reason for springs snapping is that the rear trailing arm bushes (RTAB) have failed. This allows the rear wishbones to skew sideways and puts lateral tension on the spring that it wasn't designed to take. You may have just been unlucky but you should check the RTAB before you invest in new springs as they may go the same way. If you search the forum or the web there are plenty of guides to help you. Most people who do it themselves use Powerflex bushes as they don't need a special tool.

#7 ·
im an HGV recovery driver and collapsed/snapped springs has been a very common fault this year, mainly due to the cold and the crap condition of the roads potholes etc suspension has taken a battering,

picked up a 53 Sport KA yesterday that had a snapped spring on the M11, its not just been one make either had all sorts of marques doing it

#9 ·
My e39 528 did exactly the same, just got in the car on the driveway, and sounded like someone had launched at brick at my car, shot out to see what was up, to find no damage,,,, until i noticed the spring had snapped on the rear. No corrosion, just a clean break about 3/4's of the way up. Quick and easy fix though, back on the road in no time :thumbsup

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.