Model of Car:
    E36 328i Sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe

Thanks
    Hi guys, having a few issues working out exactly what I should get hold of for my 3. Any help would be greatly appreciated . I have the Avus suspension package which i believe consists solely of eccentric rear mounts on the front wishbones, and Bilstein B6 shocks? And also the 17" staggered BBS' with 225/245 rubber front/rear.

After 90k the suspensions lost its edge and I'm looking to renew it. Thing is I prefer the standard ride height looks wise, and I want to retain reasonable ride quality. However, I'm used to a good handling and feedback through the controls from my previous car and as long as its not rock hard I'm happy to have it a little stiff if the handling makes up for it.

I'll be replacing all shocks and springs, the front wishbones, and all relevant bushings and mounts, and I'm also looking into fitting a second hand LSD, a lower X-brace and possibly some uprated ARBs. I'm not interested in coilovers.

So I've got a few questions, apologies I have searched around on here and across the web but it's painfully slow as I only have my iPhone available at the moment.

What spring choices are there for standard ride height, both OEM and aftermarket? What shocks are available/best? Is there a difference between BMW Bilsteins/Sachs units and aftermarket ones in terms of character and longevity?

Would E30 wishbones with E36 M3 (Avus?) eccentric mounts at the rear be the best option at the front? Also, are the later M3 top mounts much more expensive then standard coupe ones, if so are they worth the gains in camber over the washer method?

Which LSD is best for a road car used daily, regularly on all types of road but taken through its paces where possible?

Are the lower, and especially upper given their prices, braces worth the money?

Which bushes are worth replacing, front and back? And with polyurethane or OEM?

Are uprated ARBs a good move for this kind of setup on the E36?

Cheers again, Ive played trial and error on parts before at great cost, would love to get it right first time this time round!

2. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

BFuk Legend
    Car Details
    steve23002's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    530i Sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Auto
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,379 Times in 5,803 Posts
    Bilstien B6 shocks with standard springs work great if you are not worried about lowering. I had this set up on my old 325 and it was a good balance between comfort and handling. IMO uprated anti roll bars are one of the best mods you can do to an E36, they are a massive improvement over the standard bars.
    I am a big fan of OEM bushes, others prefer powerflex but i find them slightly to harsh for the road but its down to personal preference....
    E30 arms are a direct fit and use the solid eccentric bushes. Dont bother with the M3 top mounts as they cost loads. The X-brace people have said it makes a big difference but Ive not driven a car back to back with one fitted but i do have one to fit to my car so will report back with any findings....

4. The Following User Says Thank You to steve23002 For This Useful Post:

Jammin (07-11-2011)

BMW Crazed
    Car Details
    RobfromEssex's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    323i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Touring

Thanks
    Bilstein are considered to be one of the best and like Steve said B6 is a good choice if your truly looking for OEM ride height, they also do a shorter version B8 which is a little harsher this either comes with the pro/sportline Eibach springs.

If you want to drop the car a little, the B12 kit(Bilstein B8 dampers Eibach pro springs) is only 30mm drop and looks good not too low.

http://www.larkspeed.com/index.pl?a=...Suspension-Kit (Best price I could find)

Powerflex do a complete kit of polyurethane bushe's on ebay

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/POWERFLEX-...#ht_4748wt_698

The powerflex kit cover's most of the bushe's (including RTAB), however it doesn't include bushe's/balljoints 2/3/6 and 8 on the real axle

You could either buy these OEM or get some Superflex one's

http://www.strongflex.vot.pl/index.p...emid=1&lang=en

this rear kit include,s all the bushes that the Powerflex doesn't have, although it does have the RTAB aswell, I'm pretty sure you can pick and choose those Superflex bushe's, It doesn't include bush number 2 (part 33326775551) on that picture, So I guess you would have to either find somewhere that does a poly one or stick with OEM

I'm of the opinion that Poly bushe's are the way forward they wear much better, they don't split any where near as easily as rubber, and give better handling and to be honest the ride comfort isn't too bad either

I would also check the drop links(front tend to wear quicker)
    see here

E36 front drop links

Regarding rear top mounts I would say these:

http://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-36...unts-pair.aspx

or you could get E46 Mcabrio rear top mounts with Z3 reinforcement plates and gasket(part 51718413359+33526772864) "popular choice!"

front top mounts E36 M3 ones are a good upgrade look here

http://www.bimmerforums.co.uk/forum/...bushes-t17846/

E30 control arms are also a good upgrade for the E36 as it's the E36 balljoint that seems to wear quite quickly, especially if your upgrading suspension.

An Xbrace will certainly help more than strut braces will.

Ive heard this "Quote"Replace that E36 2.93 open differential with a 3.23 limited slip diff from a 1996-1999 BMW M3. The tighter gearing makes even a stock 5 speed car much quicker off the line, nearly as fast as a stock E36 M3. In conjunction with the other mods, you are awfully close to stock US M3 performance.(Article)http://bmwnut.blogspot.com/2006/04/e...rformance.html

The Anti roll bars I want to get are a bit pricey, cheapest I could find them is here

http://www.larkspeed.com/index.pl?a=i&p=84E2021321

Hope that helps
    :Bilstein B12 Kit
    :Powerflex complete bush kit
    :E30 control arms
    :E46 Cab top mounts
    :Forged M Double spoke alloys
    :Mtech Airbag wheel
    :Alpina527 Manifold
    :Alpina527 Big bore throttle body
    :ASC Delete
    :CIA-Heatshield/K&N
    :328i Full Exhaust
    :Z3 rack
    :APTuning Remap
    :(Clutch delay valve) delete
    :Eibach anti roll bars
    :M3 full body kit
    Soon to do
    :Respray

6. The Following User Says Thank You to RobfromEssex For This Useful Post:

Jammin (07-11-2011)

7. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    Jammin's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    E36 328i Sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe

Thanks
    Cheers for the quick response guys, spot on info too just what I'm after!

Steve if you could pop up your feelings on the x brace in here once fitted that'd be wicked, whilst all the rest will be easier to do in one go I suppose I can happily bolt that on later.

Nice one for the links Rob, prices aren't too bad to be fair. I run B8's with fairly high lb/ft linear springs on my other car and that's extremely stiff, how's yours overall? I had a quick look at your threads hoping for a cheeky pic of yours to see what the ride height was like and noticed you had some issues with a change in handling at one point, has that been resolved now? Was it the Eibachs? Also have you got a side on snap for me to have a ganders at :p.

The rear top mounts were done a few months before I bought the car so I'll most likely leave them, and although those droplinks look like a good option I dont really want to be maintaining those rose joints to be fair, cheers again for putting them up though good to know what's about! Will have a think on the bushes.

Tempted to lower now, I do like the standard stance a lot and like not having to worry about curbs hitting the bumper when parking. After spending a lot on modifying before I swore I'd leave this one alone and just use OEM stuff, but with it being so expensive Ive drifted to aftermarket and there's so much available to change, trying to work out some form of happy medium!

One other thing, what's the general consensous with ze LSDs, do they tend to last or is it wise/cost effective to rebuild them to a certain extent before fitting? And are there any other benefits to fitting an Evo axle in whole?
    Last edited by Jammin; 08-11-2011 at 02:44. Reason: In han

BMW Crazed
    Car Details
    RobfromEssex's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    323i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Touring

Thanks
    Ye the problem was my drop link's, control arm's and rear wishbone bushe's/balljoints, because I uprated everything other things started to go as a consequence.

I did question the suspension at one point I must admit because things seem to crap out in quick succession that I was unaware of
    (lesson learnt regarding checking everything that directly affects handling)

If your going to start lowering with hard suspension and poly bushe's you really need to consider all the other bits that are going to take a beating in my opinion, I got through a set of Q-Drive front drop links in a bout 4 months, after that time the metal had completely come away from the rubber, needless to say never getting Q-Drive again...

I'm not going to lie the ride is pretty hard but no to the point that it affects comfort or bone shaking, I have the Pro Eibach springs that don't lower as much as the sportline one's and tbh I'm glad I went that route because unless you want it super low and rubbing when you mount the curb or go over a big bump or using it for the track go the pro route,
    I'm not sure if their is a better setup handling/comfort wise for street use than the B12 unless you want to spend a lot on decent coilovers.

I haven't got an LSD yet so I haven't looked into that however this might help

E36 323, 325 & 328 Tuning & Upgrade Options
    :Bilstein B12 Kit
    :Powerflex complete bush kit
    :E30 control arms
    :E46 Cab top mounts
    :Forged M Double spoke alloys
    :Mtech Airbag wheel
    :Alpina527 Manifold
    :Alpina527 Big bore throttle body
    :ASC Delete
    :CIA-Heatshield/K&N
    :328i Full Exhaust