BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1997 E36 318ti - Front Struts wont budge !

2K views 10 replies 3 participants last post by  BMW IOW 
#1 ·
Guys, after some quick pointers so I can carry on lowering my car tomorrow.....I'm trying to remove my front struts to swap the springs over, I've followed the haynes manual .....

I've got the lower 3 bolts removed, disk/hub supported by some rope to stop it stressing the brake lines when its loose, I've undone the 3 strut bolts in the engine bay but the thing wont budge ! Where is the best place to apply some gentle persuasion with a hammer or mallet ? It looks to be seized in around the 3 bolts at the bottom of the strut, any ideas ?

#2 ·
A sturdy pry bar will do the trick....:thumbsup
If you lever it at the bottom of the strut, position the pry bar in the middle of the 2 bolt holes and lever from underneath. They are on a locating pin between those lower bolts holes and can stick on.
They usually do go after some persuation....:hihi

BTW, what year and model is your E36 Ali...:cool

#7 ·
Any tips for getting the strut back on the car lol.....

Its almost like its too long !! I know it came off so it must go back on, Im pulling the disk / hub outwards as far as possible without putting any strain on the brake lines but its like the strut is too long now... should I be locating the 3 bolts in the engine bay at all before the lower bolts ?

Just cant seem to get the strut locating pin anywhere near the locating eye on the hub !!

frustrated..........

#8 ·
Attach the three bolts in the strut top, then you can lift the hub up enough to slide the top bolt through. When you slide the top bolt in, you can pull the strut towards you abnd it will locate against the pin enough to get the lower 2 bolts into the hub. Gently wind in the two bolts and it will pull the strut agianst the hub....:thumbsup

#9 ·
Firstly thanks for the help yesterday Steve,

Rule #1 - GET A FRIEND TO HELP, with him pushing the lower arm down it was much easier for me to line up the top bolt, then the bottom 2 - the locating pin 'located' itself and the 3 bolts up top where a piece of p1ss.

But I didnt get the springs swapped ! - I couldn't get the top bolt off the strut when it was off the car, can I undo this whilst its on the car next time ? So I've got something to push against ? - I have no air/impact wrench and no vice ?

#11 ·
I wouldn't personally undo it from the top first. You'll never get the strut out. You need to get a windy gun of some sort and some spring compressors. That's from experience. I stripped down the legs twice and couldn't undo the flipping thing.

Looking at that pick are you on jacking up one side to remove the leg. You need to get the whole front end up mate. It will make life alot easier. Releasing and re-fitting the strut is much easier when there is no pressure through the ARB.

Reactions: ali_b
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.