1997 E36 1.8is- ride height after fitting coilovers?

Notices

Thread: 1997 E36 1.8is- ride height after fitting coilovers?

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. 1997 E36 1.8is- ride height after fitting coilovers?EDIT: New problem! last post 
    BMW Fanatic
    Car Details
    Truxx's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    E36 1.8is
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe

Thanks
    Posting here aswell as i think i put it in the wrong section

Just finished fitting the rear coilovers and one side is sitting nearly an inch higher than the other?

The lowest side (o/s/r) has the height adjusters set as high as they'll go but the n/s/r is about half way on the adjuster yet is close to an inch higher!

Also, when i dropped the car back to the floor the rear springs are almost fully compressed ? as though there just not strong enough for the car

Can anyone offer any advice ?
    thanks
    Dave
    Last edited by Truxx; 14-11-2010 at 21:41.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

BMW Guru
    Car Details
    Spirit's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    e36 323i se saloon
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    saloon
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,936 Times in 2,212 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Truxx View Post
    Posting here aswell as i think i put it in the wrong section

Just finished fitting the rear coilovers and one side is sitting nearly an inch higher than the other?

The lowest side (o/s/r) has the height adjusters set as high as they'll go but the n/s/r is about half way on the adjuster yet is close to an inch higher!

Also, when i dropped the car back to the floor the rear springs are almost fully compressed ? as though there just not strong enough for the car

Can anyone offer any advice ?
    thanks
    Dave

long shot here and you have probably already checked them but i had a similar problem on a m4 golf turbo.

try swapping the coilovers over on the rear and adjust to even amount and not full travel load on them and check the height difference,judging by things i have read about the e36 there will be a slight difference anyway in height and check the spring is properly seated in each coilover and everything else is well.check there are no splits,leaks and drive the car to check everything is ok with no knocking or uneven handling.

leave for a week or so and if happy adjust the ride height to suit as they would settle by then and hopefully no problems occur.

common fault on fitting coilovers are buying crap ones,poor fitting of them even by qualified mechanics(bush) and as anything with cars just plain bad luck.

what make are they by the way? as people on here who have fitted that kit make might be more of help as well but me personally i am not a big fan of them as i find a good spring and damper set better for me without all the fuss

hope you get it sorted mate and it would probably just be the most simple thing thats been overlooked.

i think forum member swaynie did a really good coil over guide that might help as well

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Spirit For This Useful Post:

Truxx (12-11-2010)

BMW Guru
    Car Details
    Disco Stu's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    E36 318is
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,386 Times in 1,113 Posts
    Check the bottom of the spring/rubber thingy is seated correctly in the cup.

6. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

BMW Fanatic
    Car Details
    Truxx's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    E36 1.8is
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by spiritentwined View Post
    long shot here and you have probably already checked them but i had a similar problem on a m4 golf turbo.

try swapping the coilovers over on the rear and adjust to even amount and not full travel load on them and check the height difference,judging by things i have read about the e36 there will be a slight difference anyway in height and check the spring is properly seated in each coilover and everything else is well.check there are no splits,leaks and drive the car to check everything is ok with no knocking or uneven handling.

leave for a week or so and if happy adjust the ride height to suit as they would settle by then and hopefully no problems occur.

common fault on fitting coilovers are buying crap ones,poor fitting of them even by qualified mechanics(bush) and as anything with cars just plain bad luck.

what make are they by the way? as people on here who have fitted that kit make might be more of help as well but me personally i am not a big fan of them as i find a good spring and damper set better for me without all the fuss

hope you get it sorted mate and it would probably just be the most simple thing thats been overlooked.

i think forum member swaynie did a really good coil over guide that might help as well
    Cheers for the reply fella.
    I've checked everything is fitted right and as far as i can tell there's no problems with anything that i can see.
    The car drives nice on them and there's no knocking noises at all every part of the suspension has been renewed.

The coilovers are cheap ebay ones from unit3tuning. I'm actually quite happy with the kit for the price and the car actually drives a lot better than i expected it's just this ride height problem i can't figure out.

I have contacted the company and they want me to remove the springs again to check the part numbers incase they have sent me the wrong ones so hopefully that the problem. I really don't like the way they have fully compressed under the weight of the car.
    Anybody else with cheap coilivers able to confirm if there springs compressed so much?
    Thanks
    Dave

BMW Fanatic
    Car Details
    Truxx's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    E36 1.8is
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Disco Stu View Post
    Check the bottom of the spring/rubber thingy is seated correctly in the cup.
    Yup. It can only really go in one way. The only thing different to how it should be is that i put the spring in upside down so i could have the adjusters up top.
    Most people seem to do this though so that can't be wrong?

BMW Guru
    Car Details
    Disco Stu's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    E36 318is
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe
    Thanks
    Yes mine look very compressed, over big bumps they'll accasionally touch coils.

I fitted mine and one side was high and it wasn't seated properly even though I thought it was. I was under the impression the the adjusters were meant to be at the top otherwise you wouldn't be able to adjust them easily.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Disco Stu For This Useful Post:

Truxx (12-11-2010)

BMW Fanatic
    Car Details
    Truxx's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    E36 1.8is
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe

Thanks
    Yes mine look very compressed, over big bumps they'll accasionally touch coils.
    Cheers for that mate, it's put my mind at ease a bit

I fitted mine and one side was high and it wasn't seated properly even though I thought it was.
    You got me wondering now. There is a lump top and bottom which sits inside the spring so i can't see how it could really go in wrong ? but i'll definately double check tomorrow.
    Thanks for the reply matey, much appreciated

BMW Guru
    Car Details
    Disco Stu's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    E36 318is
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe
    Thanks
    Mine didn't have the "lump" located in the hole so to speak, I'd somehow managed to get the rubber part resting on top of it and once the weight of the car was on it, there it stayed. The "lumps" are about an inch high..
    Hopefully this'll be it mate, a nice easy fix.

BMW Fanatic
    Car Details
    Truxx's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    E36 1.8is
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe

Thanks
    Hit another problem WTF have i done?

Driving along the road tonight on my way home and heard a little bang from the rear end, From this point the suspension just felt wrong so i had a look in the boot when i got home and the top of the shock is in the boot!

It hasn't ripped through the chassis in anyway it just looks like the rubber has popped out of the top mount ! ? Anyone heard of this before ?
    I'm assuming it's a dodgy top mount (it's a brand new lemforder one) but i got a funny feeling it's gonna be something more sinister?

Thanks
    Dave

BMW Guru
    Car Details
    Disco Stu's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    E36 318is
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe
    Thanks
    I done the same... Take all the bits off the old shocks and fit onto the new shocks, especially the metal washer that sits under the topmount. Loads of people have done it..

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Disco Stu For This Useful Post:

Truxx (14-11-2010)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast