BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1996 E36 325tds - Coilovers

1K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  dylbie 
#1 ·
I am about to replace my shocks and springs and I am leaning towards coilovers.

The two I am looking at are the 'hottuning' ones or 'JAMEX' ones.

Is anyone using these on here? What would the main differences be? is one better than the other?

Also I have noticed people have had fitment issues with them rubbing on tyres. I have 205 55 16 on the front and 225 50 16 on the rear. Will this cause a problem?

Cheers

#2 ·
Not sure what the difference is between the two coilovers. It depends on your offset whether you'll run into problems with the tyres rubbing, on a standard E36 wheel with an offset around ET47 I think I'm right in saying that you're more likely to experience rubbing on the rear inner arches than anything, which you can cure easily with spacers and longer wheel bolts, which are cheap enough to have on hand before you start the job unless you fancy a long walk to Halfords.

#4 ·
Cheers.

My wheels are BMW type 42's i think. They look a bit like BBS ones.

I didn't really want to go down the spacer route as I thought it might mess up the alignment etc. If this isn't the case then I guess thats what I'll have to do.

It'd be good to hear from people with both and see which ones to go for, and what to expect...

#6 ·
Cool cheers. Would be good to get some feedback of people who have them fitted. I have just been reading what someone's written on here saying that they aren't great because they're so cheap and advises going for a bilstein/eibach setup. But I cant see how they can be that bad. Besides my BM is not the car that I want to be spending loads of money on. I have a Mk1 MR2 which does a pretty good impression of a bottomless pit!!! As long as they work(for a while) and improve the jelly like suspension that I currently have, I'll be happy :)

#7 ·
:D To be honest mate, I had Jamex on my old 325i and now Hottuing on my 328i and I'm happy as f*ck with these. :thumbsup

To cut a long story short, I was a little low on cash at the time but I really wanted my car even lower than before with my lowering springs from Schnitzer, so I took a chance and went for the Hottuning with the expectation that these would be temporary until I can afford a really good expensive set, but I'm so glad I saved a ton of cash as these are great and handle bloody well (even at the low price). :thumbsup

Just ask Ralph (RJB328i) as he'll tell you what it's like from the passenger point of view :lol2

You can also check out my threads on the coilovers for more info if you like :D

#8 ·
i have a 328i on hot tuning coilovers id say its low i cant fit my fingers between my front tyre and my arch and on the rear the tyre is completly up in the arch can only just see the top or the alloy and have had no rubbing even with a full car (4 people and a boot full of bags) see pics

#9 ·
That looks very low. I don't know if I'd want it that low to be honest I just want to improve the handling. How is the handling? Does it sharpen up the steering at all? At the moment mine (which is probably original!) feels really wallowy.

Also did you have any problems getting the alignment and geometry sorted?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.