My car has changed literally overnight from a great handler to a car I am scared of and that feels dangerous.
Its a '95 318is and I have done the following since purchasing a year ago:
- Fitted Hot tuning Coilovers with new top mounts all round
- Fitted Powerflex Front and Rear trailing arm Poly-bushes
- Fitted 17" Mortorsport M3 replica wheels
- Fitted Falken 452 tyres
- Full laser geometry alignment before Xmas by a very well recommended and professional company.
Up until yesterday I was completely confident to throw the car about and felt the handling to be predictable. There are no untoward noises coming from the car and all of the arch gaps are the same as they have always been since fitting the coilovers. However, coming home last night I was suddenly aware of the following characteristics:
- Steering feels very light and twitchy at speed. The car does not pull to one side though. No vibration through steering wheel at all, nor wobbles.
- on roundabouts / corners it feels like the back end is crouching while the front is rising (maybe what is causing the above).
- On corners / roundabouts I turn the wheel and it feels like the back end is going to let go, even at relatively slow speeds.
- When braking fairly hard and at speed the rear feels light and twitchy.
- Car feels like it is tram lining more than usual and also feels like the rear wheels are having an influence on steering somehow.
I feel very un-nerved in the car now. I am the only one who really drives it so I definitely know that a difference has occurred.
Last year one of the coilover dampers failed (rear N/S) and it was immediately obvious through noise and crashy ride. It was replaced and has been fine for about 7000 miles since.
In the snow I slid into a kerb with my rear wheel at 4mph and dented the edge, but have never felt any problems with the way it drove after the incident. The wishbone looks straight still.
I have had my Old man, best mate and today a garage test it and they all say they cant notice any problems.
Would the following have an affect?
- Worn ball joints (no noises though)
- Any other bushes that are original that have worn
- Loose, oil covered or hardened alternator belt that drives the p/s pump
Any guidance would really be appreciated as I feel like I am going to die driving it! :(