BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1995 E36 316i Hottuning Coilover install

4K views 34 replies 8 participants last post by  mistreku 
#1 ·
Hi there all,

Finally picked up a set of the coilover from Edwin, so I've been reading up on some of the issue on here with the installs, I've asked Edwin and he tells me that i should need shorter drop links and it should be an easy enough install.

what i really need is some advice on what common parts wear and what i should really look to replace once I'm working on the shocks / springs, Of course the bushes are one area that I'll pay close attention to but having been under the car already they all seem pretty solid.

So any thoughts or advice would be fantastic guys ..

#2 ·
bushes and ball joints i would guess you may need a spacer kit depending on how low your looking to go as your inside tyre wall may foul the coilover itesef.A 3mm spacer kit soughted this for me though

#4 ·
ermm ive no suggestions on the bushes as mine were done before i bought the car at bmw ive just had both front ball joints changed though but again dont no what brand they used.should only rub if you go looow.if you cant hear anything drive round for a day or two then take the tyres off and check the coilover for rub marks and the inner wall or your tyre

#6 ·
Just for ref in case anybody comes looking for this, installed the coilovers today, no major issues, tyre rubbing on the front was resolved by 10mm spacers :eek and on the back you'll need a washer for the bottom bolt on the shock.

Other wise, very pleased, not to harsh at all, oh and you nmight want to replace the top mounts on the back, mine were oem :jaw-dropping

#9 ·
Pics when i clean the car :D tis horribly dirty

I think it's due to the tyres, i have falken's on there and they sit a little outside the edge of the rim, this was why.

Strangely enough they dont catch the outside arch, but she's not that low yet.. remember i've only 16" rims on there :(

#10 ·
did you get longer bolts as im sure they are needed for 5mm+ spacers or you dont get enough turns

#13 · (Edited)
I'll take a measurment of the standard bolts in a while when i've time and let you know, the garage i got the coils fitted at provided the adapters and the bolts... H&R spacers and bolt kits from what i recall, however i'll have to get the invoice to be 100% sure

Ok my stock bolts have about 24.5mm of thread on them... so i can only assume the new bolts were about the 35 mm mark..

Must go see if i can get a decent set now, there not exactally the prettiest of bolts ever

#16 ·
you dont have locking wheel nuts :confused

Reactions: IrlDrag
#18 ·
i think you are misunderstanding the other guys, there saying, that if you like I install coilovers and use spacers you wont have lock nuts, however as pointed out, you can get some... where you can get them i'm afraid i've no idea ...

As for spacers, check out any garages or maybe halfords ?? i cant really say as i'm in ireland ..

#28 ·
hey, sorry to jack the thread, but what's with the drop links issue? i'm only asking because i bought a set of coilovers myself (went for JOM tho`), and i was thinking what else would i need, in order to get them fitted.

thanks,
gabriel

#32 ·
I cant say for sure, however i know there's a coup thread on there detailing the issue with the drop links being to long...

just the front. size may differ tho', some ppl resolved the prob with 3mm, other with 10mm. i guess it depends on how low you wanna go..
Two things i'd say here, A mine isnt that low at all, in fact it's prob maybe 10 - 20 mm lower than stock, and i had rubbing immediately, but the reason for this is B, my tyres are slightly out over the rims of the alloys, it's hard to explain so i'll post some snaps later on, if the tyre walls are in line with the alloy rims then i would have been ok .

Thanks Ronnie, I've seen posts about uprated top mounts, so perhaps i'll look about a set of those.

I've gone about 100miles or more now with the new coilovers installed, couldn't be happier, the car in general feels great now, the ride is not harsh, over taking is so much easier, the car can really put the power down on the road now, before hand i'd be lucky to get past 2 cars where as no i can sail along past them.
bumps are a little harsh, but there again you'd expect them to be..

#30 ·
just the front. size may differ tho', some ppl resolved the prob with 3mm, other with 10mm. i guess it depends on how low you wanna go..

#35 ·
yea, steve said the same thing. apparently, only pre '92 have this problem. different linkage for the drop links. so i'm covered! :thumbsup

p.s. can't wait to get them fitted as well, but still gotta buy those top mounts.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.