1992 E36 325 - Second hand Brembo discs - are they worth the bother?

Notices

Thread: 1992 E36 325 - Second hand Brembo discs - are they worth the bother?

Reply to Thread
  1. 1992 E36 325 - Second hand Brembo discs - are they worth the bother? 
    BMW Fanatic
    Car Details
    Quiver's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    325i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupé
    Thanks
    Hi all,

I was looking for a reasonably cheap upgrade to my brakes and I stumbled upon this ebay auction: Brembo Max Brake discs.

They don't look exciting, what with all that rust and dirt, but the guy says he only did 1.5K miles on them... And rust can be cleaned.

Now, my question: does it at all make sense to get second-hand discs? I would change the pads at the same time (obviously), but I have no idea on the impact of part-wear on discs' performance... Any advice on this?

Thanks in advance,

Jerry

2. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

BMW Master
    Car Details
    Unknownsoldier's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    330Ci Sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    2001 (51)
    Transmission Type:
    SMG
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe/Convertable
    Thanks
    Bargepole springs to mind mate..........

Tom
    I am not an old git........................

BMW Crazed
    Car Details
    markysurf's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    316I COUPE
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    MANUAL
    Car Body Type:
    COUPE
    Thanks
    If you did get them i'd have them Skimmed to make sure they are True, Then fit NEW PADS. I'd also check thickness & Diameter to compare with old Disks. Brembo Calipers may be different from Oem on your car
    1 LIFE, LIVE IT!

5. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

BMW Fanatic
    Car Details
    Quiver's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    325i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupé
    Thanks
    Bargepole springs to mind mate...
    I was expecting an answer like this... Just wanted to make sure.

It is too bad though, because those disks are very cleverly designed (grooves are forming a kind of push-pull air-pump while the wheel is turning).

Anyway, thanks for your help guys, and quick response. I will probably be back with another question soon - probably something like "what are the best brake pads for E36 coupe?" )

Bimmer Fan
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,115 Times in 5,338 Posts
    Brembo Max discs are great...had them on my E46 and they dry the pads as well as having a wear indicator. Keep away from used discs as a rule. If you like them then pick up a brand new set from GSF

8. The Following User Says Thank You to xXNealXx For This Useful Post:

mikaveli (08-06-2009)

BMW Fanatic
    Car Details
    Quiver's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    325i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupé
    Thanks
    Hey, thanks a lot.

Do you mind if I use this thread to ask a related question though? What would you suggest as the most effective brakes upgrade if I set myself a budget of around 200 quid? I might stretch it a bit if it's really worth it - but expensive, full-blown conversions are completely out of question.

I was thinking along the lines of some half-decent grooved discs + EBC Redstuff pads (I'd go for Yellowstuffs, but they don't seem to make them for non-M3 E36s... )

BMW Guru
    Car Details
    Deano16v's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    745i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Auto
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon

Thanks
    Thanked 1,154 Times in 1,001 Posts
    if you dont want to spend a lot then go uprated pads on standard discs with braided brake lines. makes an unbelievable difference and is more than enough for fast road driving.
    as for the brembo max discs GSF stock them and they are reasonably priced

Authorised Bimmerforums UK Vendor
    Car Details
    Bremsen Technik UK's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    E92 M3
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    SMG
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe

Thanks
    2nd hand discs are not worth the hassle - especially not Brembo Max. Brembo Max is a standard aftermarket product range and are relatively cheap new anyway. You should be able to pick up a set of Brembo Max discs at a very reasonable price.

As far as the best brake upgrade for your money is concerned, I agree partially with our friend above who suggests braided brake lines.

If you're looking to improve your braking performance, installing braided brake lines will not overcome any brake fade that you may be experiencing as a result of fast road driving. In order to do this, you need to upgrade your pads. I suggest upgrading the fronts primarily as these do the majority of the work under braking, although BMWs in general tend to be very balanced when it comes to brake bias.

There are many performance pad upgrades on the market - some very good and reasonably priced and some not worth the backing plates that they are pressed onto! Here are my suggestions based on our experience in the braking industry:

Racing: Pagid Racing Brake pads - mostly ceramic based formulations, which means that they are both very temperature stable and very kind to discs. Reduces brake fade at higher temperatures and means that your discs last longer.

Trackday: Pagid Racing Brake Pads - although expensive and designed primarily for racing, we also recommend the use of these pads for the trackday enthusiast who may also use his/ her vehicle on the road. RS4-2 and RS29 are very popular material choices for the BMW trackday enthusiast: RS29 being the recognised endurance material, which lasts much longer than standard friction materials, offering the user more value for money whilst achieving greater braking performance.

Performance Road: Pagid Sport / Textar - Textar are fitted as OE to a lot of BMW cars and are therefore an ideal replacement for the aftermarket. Frictional properties of Textar materials tend to be slightly better than other manufacturers and the pads tend to withstand higher levels of abuse than others. These are also reasonably priced. For a higher premium, Pagid Sport pads offer excellent stopping power and reduced fade. These are available for many BMW calipers.

For information on where to buy the above products, get in contact with us or visit our website: www.racepads.co.uk

We are exclusive technical and commercial partners in the UK for Brembo, Pagid RS and ZF Sachs Race Engineering. We are also a master distributor for Textar.

James Hall
    Bremsen Technik (UK) Ltd

+44 (0)1748 831200
    james@racepads.co.uk

www.racepads.co.uk

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bremsen Technik UK For This Useful Post:

ak186 (08-06-2009),mikaveli (08-06-2009),Quiver (17-06-2009)

BMW Crazed
    Car Details
    juggyvampire's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    318 Aiiiiii
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    saloon
    Thanks
    hi,i got a pair of ebay a few weeks ago for a tenner bargain rusty as the titanic but cleaned up a treat grooves cleaned out work well so guess its a tricky one wether to get anty or not,but i did see on gsf ebay shop same discs bout £50 which is very cheap me finks

BMW Crazed
    Car Details
    juggyvampire's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    318 Aiiiiii
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    saloon
    Thanks
    o yeah and some mintex extreme pads just ran in bout 500 miles for a quid lol discs and pads for under £30 with posts i was well chuffed