BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1992 E30 Steering tight spot - found out what it was :(

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  J.Salmon 
#1 ·
got stuck into it today after it got a whole lot worse and i practicaly could not turn left, took the UJ off to find its smooth as could be, popped it back on, got the front wheels off the floor n wound it lock to lock, to find the rack is scrap, and its only done 2,000 miles since it was recon'd!!
had enough of this car now, baught it for 400 quid n it owes me around 2 grand now and im still having trouble :(... hopefully il get there though.

Todays tip... If your going to buy your dream car to 'restore' prepare to be dissapointed...

#2 ·
What a bummer, thats the problem with these older cars... Not always as nice as the dream is it? As I am finding out too....:frown

I think that the guy I bought mine from had a good chucle when I drove the E30 away....:confused. I will not be beaten though:thumbsup

On a positive note, I am sure that he said the rack on my E30 was from an E46?? Less turns from lock to lock and easy to get second hand too.

Good luck with it mate:thumbsup

#5 ·
yeah Kev i've heard about the quicker rack, i would of bunged one of them in if i had the option but its a shedload more cash and i got a new one on warranty so it could be worse, il live with slow steering for now, but like you say.. i will not be beaten!! Thumbsup
I've never heard of racks failing either mate, but ive had 2 die on me :(
dont mention head gaskets please lol because i know what'l go next...
should hopefully be dropping a new lump in it soon anyway and all my troubles will be gone... yeah right! i can see it going that well cant you lol :)
it will get there though!!... eventually :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.