BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

E90 18 inch Tyre suggestions RF vs Conventional.

731 views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Ian S 
#1 ·
Hi All,
This may well be talked to death and I hope I don't frustrate any one by asking this.

I am looking for a definitive answer on the RF vs Conventional debate.
I am due two front tyres and have a repaired Bridgestone RF on the back.
Which got me thinking that I should swap out the lot for some Conventional rubber which according to most BMW tuners is the way forward.
Though most forums seem to be neither pro nor against. I know you guys are running some nice cars and I would appreciate any advice that I can get.

I am considering some Conti Contact 5's so I am not looking budget.

I spend most of my time at 69mph on the motorway and like to enjoy country lanes when I can. I want to get some new boots before the bad weather sets in.

Thanks Guys!

#3 ·
Yes it has been talked to death.
On my previous 320d MSport, I had 18inch Michelin Sport PS2 Runflats, fitted from new, And replaced with exactly the same make as needed.
They were good for mileage, braking cornering etc! The MSport has stiff suspension, so at times like going on rough roads they were a little harsh and over potholes, but I would recommend them without any hesitation.

My current 3 series, F30, I am running Goodyear Efficiency RFTyres, this car is in a different league as it is so comfortable, the suspension is much softer but it is the luxury version, You would not know they are Runflats.

I know Runflats are slightly more expensive, but it all comes down to personal preference.
Some people who change to conventional tyres, do change back to Runflats, like I said I have no issues with them.
I know like a simple puncture they can be driven on for around 90-100miles depending on use with zero air pressure.
As most modern cars have no spare, and some cars there is no facility to store a spare, only a can of weld, and that's pretty useless if it doesn't plug the puncture
I
just make your own mind up, as to what you want to use.
the premium Runflats are the best, If you stick with them., Or if you change to conventional tyres go for the premium ones, I found the cheap budget ones you pay twice.

#4 ·
The Bridgestones are ok but they are not without their faults. If possible I'd find the extra for the Michellins.

Most forums favour cheaper mid-range budgets over RFTs. Personally whilst I appreciate that run flats are a compromise I prefer to stick with them for safety and convenience reasons. They probably don't suit a track driven M3, but for 99% of people commuting or motorway driving in their diesel they'd be better off with them.

For reference I've put my money where my mouth is for my daily! I've also had a puncture at 100MPH on one on my way back from Germany. Yes, I had to fork out £200 for a new tyre but it was unnoticeable and got me home. From someone that has put a car backwards off a motorway following a tyre failure I'll happily spend the extra.

Ian

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.