BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

niall_farley my prides slow coming together

18K views 127 replies 19 participants last post by  niall_farley 
#1 · (Edited)
Right then guys i believe it is time to start a project thread.... here goes!

I bought the car a while back looking sorry in a used car sales yard! at the time i had my beautiful almost perfect 728 BUT she had a fueling problem :( around 280/300 miles a tank and it cost nearly 100 pounds to fill when petrol was only 115/120 a liter :O!

Anyway i went to the dealer (knowing he was dodgy hearing rumours) had a very good look around the car and took it for a long drive!

I found quite a few problems that needed addressing SO a list?

*Exhaust was blowing badly
*A loud nocking from the rear
*Two bald tyres
*Hole in the gear gaitor
*Crack in the light lense
*Small dent in the door
*Small rust bubble on opposite door
*Wrong engine (wanted M50/M52)
(Could of missed a few i will post if remember)

So why would i buy it? must be some good points? hmmmm

*Really smooth engine
*Full service history (stamped every 8k and reciepts for lots of work and all the checks)
*Interior immaculate (appart from gear gaitor (i pick in the same place the hole was so might of being a fidling habit))
*Love the couler (its not quite a normal silver it shines blue in some lights)
*It meant good mpg and easy rid of my E38 (he gave me a swap and £300 my way)
*Years mot (which included a new backbox)

So thats how i bought the car and i instantly fell in love! awwwwwww

See less See more
#6 · (Edited)
I'm on it kieran i'm on it.... :p

So i took the car home and had a good wash! :D and ther was very very little rust a as said the door patch which is only really small and a tiny bit on the boot lid! Oh and put my bigger wheels on that i bought for cheap when i had my 316 saloon (first beemer ahhhhhh :))

I then jacked the car up and looked for what the nock could be... couldnt c much and therefore came here for help! Everyone as usual were VERY helpful! I thought it could be shocks but people thought RTAB's so i changed them (what a fcuk about!!!!! snapped 2 draper extension bars) anyways they wer shot so replaced with powerflex after hours of trying and snappiung and pulling and drilling and scraping knuckles i finally did it! (The 3 bolts holding the arm on were SEIZED TO FCUK!)

I replaced the gaitors inside the car :) and replaced number plates the old ones were nakkered! (will one day put my personal plate on and will be pressed but when i dont know :p)

I called up my mate as the exhaust was still loud took it of and welded a couple of holes in the mid section (i know dodgy but its still fine now :D)

Next thing was leather interior that i got for £50 of my mate as he scrapped his bmw after a small crash so that was great :D looked well and all was good!

I did the airbox de-restrict mod thingy ma bobby

Anyway the RTAB's didnt do it :( still nocking :( so thanx muchos to sam (metroreg) for GIVING me a set of rear shocks! again the bmw ones that were on were shot! Went on easy and still not fixed but did improve the ride! Damn still not fixed though!

Next thing after putting that on the burner my mate was selling his car and had a set of fairly tidy sport front seats so we swapped over and swapped lights as i do think E36 lights look dated (personal opinion) so i got some of his that kind of if you squint resemble E39 lights and are all one unit! so that only cost another £50

On that day i also sprayed my grill surrounds black :D happy days!

I signed onto bimmerforums one day to find ralf was selling a set of black and creamy/silver sports leathers and i had a plan to do full interior like that so i bought them! I THINK i only payed 70 for them bad boys! and they were IMMACULATE!!! Thanx ralfy baby :D

I took my rocker cover off and sprayed it black :)
The car went on a 2000 mile trip to very south france and back and did superb!

Then again another right place right time i logged onto bfuk to find a set of vaders.... :O and thats not all.... it was a straight swap for a set of sports leathers :D thanx gabriel (mistuko (i think thats the spelling)) for that :D

So i am not obsesed with seats just upgrades/bargains at bargain prices!

I was trawling a scrap yard (as most boys out there will know is always fun) and found a immaculate armrest! so centre console and rest sorted all for 15 notes :D YESSS

Moving on.... I finally found the nock from the rear turned out to be something as small as the mexican hat or bump stop had moved slightly and the spring wasnt sat on it properly :( so i just slid it back in place and all is perfect :D VERY VERY HAPPY :D :D :D

So thats were i am now! and i have bought a set of springs and dampers thanx to kieran (E36meerkat) also new bulbs and new wipers and tinting spray for lights :D these will be updated and some piks will be put on of the car and progress i dont have many piks but will upload what i have in a min :D

Have to wrap up now topgear and the girlfriend wants the laptop back :( under the thumb much? :lol if iv missed anything i will update!

#13 ·
:rofl the ride hight isn't as bad as it looks on the piks but yes it does need lowering! Badly... As for plans yes there are plenty but I change my mind more than Jordan changes career, boob size, husband and attitude so no point making a list as there will be a new list daily! Next on the list is wishbones I think a E30 upgrade jobby

#15 ·
Yeh when i have the money quite possibly but i wouldnt do it unless it was unique i dont think unless it was a m3 evo swap.... pos a 4.4 v8 manual? I will see after the car is in tip top condition then if i keep it a engine might be the way forward! (i think it is a keeper) get a m5 runabout while that gets a 4.4? :p

#25 ·
Well guys my osram lightbreakers arrived today while I was working :D So I was straight out to fit them while it was dark!
Thing is guys my lights seem wonkey I ajusted them a fair bit but to no avail :( I will post a pik and you guys tell me... Is one side meant to be brighter than the other? It seems excesive if it is and the lights wer moving when I ajusted but didn't seem to make the light in the pik any better :(

#30 ·
Good to see you have finally put a project thread up, for me its one of the best sections on the forum, having a look at what everyone else is doing. Keep up the good work, I will keep an eye on the thread :cool

Remember the main rule WE FCUKIN LOVE PICS :hyper:hyper

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.