Model of Car:
    318i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon

Thanks
    Came across this thread while searching for bin and xdf file for my M43 as to the bolt on the turbo and one word for TS.... awesome. Learned so much through the write up, is the engine still keeping up any pictures. Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    jckrarup's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    Z3 1,8 M43
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Roadster

Thanks
    Yep, still doing great. I am loosing a bit of coolant, which will drip in my driveway, so I have a leak somewhere. I suspect that I will need to remove the front chamber, fix the broken threads - The gasket probably isn't compressing as it should.

EDIT: The coolant spill has gotten much worse. It leaks from between thhe block and timing housing.

A leaking timing chain cover would spill oil, not coolant. There are two possible faults that will do that:

- The dreaded M42 profile gasket

- The gasket between the timing housing and the block

Both will be a pain to exchange, but I will try to do it without removing the head. I think it will be easier to extrange it from hte front, rather than from the top. It is entirely possible to remove the timing housing while the head is still on.

The job comprises:

- removing 5 bolts from the front of the oil pan
    - removing the servo pump, since it sits in fromt of the generator bolts.
    - removing the generator bracket, since it sits in fromt of the timing house covers (annoying design)
    - removing idler wheel, water pump wheel, harmonic balancer, crankshaft position sensor,

Otherwise from that, no problems - I must admit that I do not do any racing.

However, I do regret one thing...... WHY DID I PAINT THE COVER WHITE..... Bad idea. Its just so dirty from belt dust oil and glycol....

On another note, I have been looking at how to give it a bit more fuel at higher revs, since I do observe that it is on the lean side.

The Motronic DME M1.7.2 (which I think is what it uses - Perhaps it is 1.7.3) is quite rare and not much is published on changing the maps of the ECU. I have suspected that it might also be an BMS 43. I am completely blank right now.

The ECU is a 1 429 760 with an internal BMW software version of 26RT4784.

I bought an identical unit on ebay and opened it up. desoldered the FLASH and startede disassembling in IDA Pro - Quite an interesting excersise, although I am not going to invest the insane amount of time that is needed in order to truly understand the code. Right now, I only look at strings and tables. Hopefully, I can post some tunerpro XDF files here later on.

That will be a seperate post.
    Last edited by jckrarup; 09-08-2015 at 17:53.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123