Hi all. Happy new year. Next update! This not quite related to supercharger install but thought I'd post it here as well.
I got hold of the GKD coil on plug kit recently. I started fitting this one weekend in mid December and realised I had to modify the wiring loom a little to make it fit, and stopped to order parts. And since then every chance I've had it has just not stopped bloody raining! Finally finished it on Sunday morning, just in time before the heavens opened again - just for a fucking change! Car was starting to be permanently steamed up all the time inside whilst it was sitting there in the damp for weeks, so took it for a good blast straight away.
Any way, here is what comes in the kit; custom aluminium coil plate, used coils and wiring loom from BMW, all neatly put together:
All the plastic gubbins and the old ht leads is removed first. The exhaust header heat shield needs to come off to remove the HT lead channel. The heat shield can also be cleaned. Mine was covered in oil left over from the rocker cover leak, which was dripping onto the header causing a burning oil smell. The coil plate then fits using the two centre rocker cover threads. The old bolts are removed, and the two supplied hex bolts screw into the threads, holding the plate and coils tight in place. It's tight getting the plate in place over the plugs but it will go.
The kit itself required no modification. What did was the OE coil plug cable. It has to be moved round and cable tied in a new place above the brake servo, so the plug can reach round to the back of the rocker cover to the plug on the plate. In order to do that the OBD II diagnostic socket needs to move too:
A length of cable needs to be made to extend the earth lead, which I think must be an important ignition signal ground for the DME. New extended lead:
To join to the stock cable I used an m4 bolt and nyloc nut, so it can all be put back to standard if need be. The join was then insulated with heat shrink, then protected with convoluted tubing:
Cable ties tidied everything up. I also added a cable tie between the coil loom and no.4 plug to stop the coil loom touching the rocker cover edges, to prevent any possible damage from heat:
All finished, Here's how it looks in the bay now:
Has made a noticeable difference. I noticed straight away that it seems to idle better. As this car runs much better in the summer anyway, that's saying something for a cold winter start up. Throttle response is much sharper too, and the car just seems more eager now when driving, feels like it wants to be revved all the time now. Took it for a long run to the coast for work on Thursday and it felt pretty damn quick really, no rocket ship but certainly better than it was before. So A worthwhile upgrade. Not sure what model the coils are from, think it's from e36 m3 but will have to check.
Wouldn't mind getting a RR session done and seeing what she is making now before the supercharger goes on, as the mods so far combined feel like they have made quite a difference. Summary of performance mods so far:
BMC air filter element (for standard airbox)
Stainless cat back exhaust system (Vortex)
Walbro 255lph fuel pump
Next up will be to buy AFR gauge and get it fitted, including welding another O2 sensor into the exhaust.
Thanks for taking a look!