318is
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe

Images
    Thanks
    Hi all. Happy new year. Next update! This not quite related to supercharger install but thought I'd post it here as well.

I got hold of the GKD coil on plug kit recently. I started fitting this one weekend in mid December and realised I had to modify the wiring loom a little to make it fit, and stopped to order parts. And since then every chance I've had it has just not stopped bloody raining! Finally finished it on Sunday morning, just in time before the heavens opened again - just for a fucking change! Car was starting to be permanently steamed up all the time inside whilst it was sitting there in the damp for weeks, so took it for a good blast straight away.

Any way, here is what comes in the kit; custom aluminium coil plate, used coils and wiring loom from BMW, all neatly put together:

All the plastic gubbins and the old ht leads is removed first. The exhaust header heat shield needs to come off to remove the HT lead channel. The heat shield can also be cleaned. Mine was covered in oil left over from the rocker cover leak, which was dripping onto the header causing a burning oil smell. The coil plate then fits using the two centre rocker cover threads. The old bolts are removed, and the two supplied hex bolts screw into the threads, holding the plate and coils tight in place. It's tight getting the plate in place over the plugs but it will go.

The kit itself required no modification. What did was the OE coil plug cable. It has to be moved round and cable tied in a new place above the brake servo, so the plug can reach round to the back of the rocker cover to the plug on the plate. In order to do that the OBD II diagnostic socket needs to move too:

A length of cable needs to be made to extend the earth lead, which I think must be an important ignition signal ground for the DME. New extended lead:

To join to the stock cable I used an m4 bolt and nyloc nut, so it can all be put back to standard if need be. The join was then insulated with heat shrink, then protected with convoluted tubing:

Cable ties tidied everything up. I also added a cable tie between the coil loom and no.4 plug to stop the coil loom touching the rocker cover edges, to prevent any possible damage from heat:

All finished, Here's how it looks in the bay now:

Has made a noticeable difference. I noticed straight away that it seems to idle better. As this car runs much better in the summer anyway, that's saying something for a cold winter start up. Throttle response is much sharper too, and the car just seems more eager now when driving, feels like it wants to be revved all the time now. Took it for a long run to the coast for work on Thursday and it felt pretty damn quick really, no rocket ship but certainly better than it was before. So A worthwhile upgrade. Not sure what model the coils are from, think it's from e36 m3 but will have to check.

Wouldn't mind getting a RR session done and seeing what she is making now before the supercharger goes on, as the mods so far combined feel like they have made quite a difference. Summary of performance mods so far:

BMC air filter element (for standard airbox)
    Stainless cat back exhaust system (Vortex)
    Walbro 255lph fuel pump
    Coil-on-plug conversion

Next up will be to buy AFR gauge and get it fitted, including welding another O2 sensor into the exhaust.

Thanks for taking a look!

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sjs202 For This Useful Post:

danidge (21-01-2014),m44lee (11-02-2014),Shanez (19-01-2014)

3. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    wikk3d88's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    318i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Auto
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon

Thanks
    Still following this thread keenly. COP looks pretty good.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to wikk3d88 For This Useful Post:

sjs202 (20-01-2014)

BMW Master
    Car Details
    sjs202's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    318is
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe

Images
    Thanks
    Got her on the ramps on Sunday to see where to install the wideband O2 sensor bung. The AFR kit I'm getting uses a bosch LSU 4.2 sensor, like most of them really. I checked the dimensions for the 4.2 and there's plenty of room. Here is where it's going: behind the existing sensor, just after the centre hanger bracket and where the plastic under tray just starts to curve round. It will then have some protection from the elements like the stock one.

Unfortunately, I found some more rust on the floor pan and around drivers front jacking point that needs sorting out pronto, before I get the bung welded in :( better get that sorted first!

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    ian_touring's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    E36 318is coupe M44
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual of course
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe

Thanks
    As a long time lurker I've been brought out of hiding to say "thank you" for letting me be able to read your detailed descriptions and pics, it's a pleasure to see someone take pride in their work. Looking forward to the next instalment. Taking notes for my 318is.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to ian_touring For This Useful Post:

sjs202 (31-01-2014)

BMW Master
    Car Details
    sjs202's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    318is
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe

Images
    Thanks
    Thanks for your kind comment! I appreciate people having a read and hope you find it of some use. Not sure why I'm writing it all really, it's just nice to have it written down somewhere!

Can see it must be frustrating to see things moving slowly and be waiting for the next bit. But this type of thing is a luxury so it has to take a back seat, from girlfriend / family / work / diy / life in general!

It's moving slowly but it will get there! Want to do it right as well - measure twice, cut once!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to sjs202 For This Useful Post:

Shanez (01-02-2014)

BMW Master
    Car Details
    sjs202's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    318is
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe

Images
    Thanks
    Not been much happening on the supercharging front at the moment, as have been sorting the rust out (in my other thread). Have also had it serviced and mot'd a few weeks ago too. Mechanic told me it barely passed on emissions again and it's all down to the cat. These kwik fit cats are shit! It's only three years old!

So rather than weld a bung for the additional O2 sensor in a crappy, soon to completely fail cat section, i've decided to get a custom sports cat section made up, with two O2 sensor bungs. I managed to get hold of Vortex last week on Friday. They are happy to take it on, they are discussing how best to do it and will get back to me this week hopefully.

So will also order the AFR gauge this week. Going to be an expensive month!

BMW Master
    Car Details
    sjs202's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    318is
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe

Images
    Thanks
    The PLX stuff arrived today! AFR gauge itself:

O2 sensor, control module and wiring:

Air intake temp sensor and module:

The modules can be chained together so you can read multiple things off the same gauge. The AIT will go into the new GKD intake manifold to keep an eye on intake temps. That will show if the engine is heat soaking and getting too hot, telling you to calm down with the boost for a bit! On looking at it today though it has a tapered thread for a 1/8 npt port. So I will need to cut a thread into the new manifold - better not screw that up!

Only thing is the gauge mount didn't come with the gauge which I thought it did, so I will have to make another order. The bung plug hasn't arrived yet as is on back order.

Have not heard from vortex yet this week either. I guess they've had a busy week, same as me! Ridiculously busy at work, need to put in some hours this weekend as well grrr!

BMW Master
    Car Details
    sjs202's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    318is
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe

Images
    Thanks
    Been in touch with vortex over the last couple of days. They are going to source a sports cat for my car from their usual supplier and will get them to weld the additional O2 bung in. This will be cheaper than building a cat section from scratch.

They have asked me for some measurements today though so got the car on the ramps again after work. They wanted to know how far downstream from the stock bung I would like the additional one. Here's me offering up the new wideband O2 sensor under the car. Was a very tight squeeze, and a pain to take pictures!

Got the measurement I needed, 140mm from the stock position (measuring from centres). The new sensor needs to be installed at least 10 degrees off the horizontal to prevent condensation damaging the sensor tip. The stock sensor looks as though it is angled enough. The angle is good for clearance as well and looks good by eye. So am going to say to match the angle of the stock O2 bung and cross my fingers!

BMW Master
    Car Details
    sjs202's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    318is
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe

Images
    Thanks
    Well I've had a call from vortex and the custom sports cat has been made and is waiting for me ready for fitting Problem is I'm so busy at work right now, and can't take a day off for a while, so fitting will not be as soon as I want unfortunately. But hopefully soon. The blanking plug for the second bung has not arrived from plx, but I found one for a few pounds on ebay which has arrived already:

I'll try and cancel the order on the other one.

Meanwhile I've been thinking about wiring for the plx gauge and sensor drivers. I'm thinking of using a fuse tap into the cigarette lighter circuit for the switched power to the sensor drivers. As I don't really like splicing wires. Like this one: 2 - Add A Circuit Fuse Tap Piggy Back Standard Blade Fuse Holder ATO ATC 12v 24v | eBay

Hopefully there will be enough room in the fuse box with the lid closed. Or maybe I could use a fuse slot under the dashboard. Can't remember if there are any under there?

I'm thinking to mount the sensor drivers on the trim cover under the steering column. Will have to see if there is room. This will make it easy to feed the cable to the plx gauge on the dash. The gauge itself will be mounted with the ring that has just arrived:

It will slot in between the drivers air vent and dashboard. I've already tried it and it's a tight fit but it will go.

The cable for the temp sensor probe will go through the fire wall using the hole behind the glovebox, ready for plugging in to the new intake manifold at some point.

The oxygen sensor wiring will need to find its way into the car somehow. Not sure how to do that, maybe there will be somewhere near the gearbox to get through.

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    FluxMorz's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    Z3 1.9l
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Automatic
    Car Body Type:
    Convertible

Thanks
    Hi, was just wondering if you'd be updating again soon with progress? I've had a hard time finding modern posts around the net regarding s/cing m42/m44 engines as I'm trying to research s/c my Z3 and this thread has been a pretty good read so far. I hope the kit works out for you! What with DASC kits being long out of production and all the controversies revolving around others (Are KO kits bad in the end? I couldn't really find a consensus on that one yet) I'm really keen to see how this project fares!

Page 4 of 32 FirstFirst 12345678914 ... LastLast