Model of Car:
    328 Ci
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Automatic
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe

Thanks
    I see it pretty common to go the super charging route on these engines and seems a lot of people are considering high mileage engines to charge (Suprised!)

What I don't know is what are the fundamental parts required in a "kit" and what parts need to fit onto BMW parts in the engine bay.

Why do I ask this? because I am super bargain hunter who will create a shopping list and search high and low to piece the parts from various locations for the absolute best price, recondition the parts myself quiet happily and charge my car for as little as possible with the most care and attention possible.

Also, auto box, and charging is that going to be too much strain?

2. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

BMW Guru
    Car Details
    vauxfan's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    325 sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    automatic
    Car Body Type:
    loon
    Thanks
    i would love to reply to this post as it has intregued me quite a lot! but seen as i don't have the answer i won't

Uber Platinum BFuk Member
    Car Details
    RobbieV's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    335i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by vauxfan View Post
    i would love to reply to this post as it has intregued me quite a lot! but seen as i don't have the answer i won't

5. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

BMW Master
    Car Details
    markrnorton's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    Z3
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Roadster
    Thanks
    bit of an open question this

what type of blower do you want to fit ? Roots, centrifugal ??

they need slightly different parts on the inlet side

and how much boost do you want to run ?
    Z3

BMW Crazed
    Car Details
    jtsystems's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    328 Ci
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Automatic
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe

Thanks
    Well that's just it, I don't really know.

This thread is a starting point for me to start piecing together what I want to go for.

My 328 is an awesome car, but I know me, I get bored way to easy and want to be able to enhance this car at a later date.

What are the pro's and con's on the blower?
    How much boost is "reliable" for the engine - I don't want a 2.8 litre engine barely holding together when I floor it - Personally I would love to take the car to 300BHP + at a later date and would want to do it the most reliable way.

Maybe if its just different parts for the inlet on the blower you could detail the different parts needed depending on the blower?

All help is greatly appreciated and appears to be quite wanted question.

Once I have compiled a list I will create a project thread on how I am getting on, where I sourced parts from etc.

Regards,

BMW Crazed
    Car Details
    jtsystems's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    328 Ci
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Automatic
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe

Thanks
    Okay thread went a little quiet so decided I would go and have a little look online to see what I can find out.

http://www.superchargersonline.com/ seems to have lots of great information and certainly worth a read.

I also found this nice clear image:

Now its just finding which bits are generic, which bits have to suit BMW fittings and what components fit to the supercharger and will change depending on the charger.

I will continue to use this thread to drop in my findings - please feel free to add your comments to perfect these details!

Regards

EDIT:

Some further investigations brings me to look at some of the other kits offered:

Custom ESS Spec Lysholm 1.6L Twin Screw supercharger unit. - Need to look at what is required when selecting a charger, displacement/fitting/size
    -High strength, dual-layer cast aluminium alloy ESS intake manifold. - think this would be a lot easier just to purchase!
    -Uni-belt SC drive system with additional OEM quality idler pullies. - depends on the charger and as such will need to track down the correct parts at this stage
    -6 larger Bosch fuel injectors. - Bosch seem to get good recomendations just finding what size would be suitable
    -Throttle body style butterfly bypass system for superior fuel economy during cruising and optimal throttle response under all conditions. - Interesting...
    -Perfectly optimized, dyno tweaked MS42 ECU software. - Custom remaps would have to be undergone
    -CNC hard anodized brackets and hardware. - Again pendent on various parts
    -Cast aluminium SC intake system with crankcase fume reduction system designed for boost. as above
    -High temperature, custom made silicone hoses with clamps throughout the system. - standard stuff
    -Detailed, step-by-step installation manual - erm yeah that could be interesting
    -Heavy-Duty drive belt. - drive belt for what? I presume the charger via the pulley.

If anyone is browsing across this and has done DIY before please add! I am super keen to find parts that don't cost so much - looking online you see lots and lots of cars over the years with kits sub £3k and this BMW kit is always around the 5k marker and I am sure that this is more markup than cost of equipment! Stateside get it so much cheaper!
    Last edited by jtsystems; 16-03-2010 at 22:15.

BMW Crazed
    Car Details
    jtsystems's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    328 Ci
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Automatic
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe

Thanks
    Okay so my research has enabled me to conclude the following "check list" of parts specific to the e46 (I am in a rush so will finish it off later)

Charger/Blower - Need to find a suitable blower, however the Rotex Charger C30-84 has good reviews and is good for upto 320BHP (Perfect for stock internals) or if looking for a better future platform the C38/71 would be preferred and is also sold within the "AA Kit" Available new from GMC for around £2,000

Intake system needs to be revised as it will now be moved nearer to the intake, suitable tubing, clamps, and fixing bracket will be required if not buying through a kit may have to customise these parts - although can't see this being too difficult! would exect to pay no less than £100 on sorting this out

*Complicated part* Supercharger bracket, unless again your able to source one your going to need to custom fabricate it - remember this is going to need to be tough, these compressors spin around 100k RPM and are run through a belt, so weak brackets could bring unforseen problems and potentially have disasterous results! depending on who you know, but probably available from a local engineering place for £50

High flowing injectors - trying to find out exactly what size people are running however am aware they use washers etc as they are not a straight fit. TBC

Software - the car is going to need a remap to take advantage of all this, I presume a custom map at a garage which speciliases in superchargers is the best route and would expect it to cost around £500

Still need to look at various other bits but currently this "DIY KIT" is costing £2,650 and there are most costs to come - however my goal here is to build a "kit list" and then start hunting down alternative/similar parts going for a bargain either on other peoples forums or ebay.

Note during my research I came across several "full kits" for things like saxo's and 106's who use the Rotrex C30 charger and one was selling a full kit (charger, brackets, intake) for £1,400 - could easily sell of the other parts and have the main charger unit and oil systems for £1,200 - brings the build down by £800!

Anyone else care to work on this with me?!

BMW Guru
    Car Details
    vauxfan's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    325 sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    automatic
    Car Body Type:
    loon
    Thanks
    you seem to have the same problem as me, no replys even when i know a guy on here sold a charger a few months back for around 1k, and i think it was new!, and if i remember correctly he sold it to a guy on here!

Good luck with your hunting and i am watching your thread (at least you have 1 subscriber lol)

BMW Master
    Car Details
    markrnorton's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    Z3
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Roadster
    Thanks
    i thought about doing this myself but in the end i bought a kit
    what you are proposing is easily 'do-able' . i think the main parts are easily sourced, it will just be the smaller things you forget, as such.

your standard injectors, if you are only running low boost (ie circa 7psi) should be ok. i have a table somewhere of duties etc, i'll try and dig it out.

my remap r/r session cost me £400, but sorted the lean fueling at the top end of the rev range.
    Z3

12. The Following User Says Thank You to markrnorton For This Useful Post:

vauxfan (22-03-2010)

BMW Guru
    Car Details
    vauxfan's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    325 sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    automatic
    Car Body Type:
    loon
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by markrnorton View Post
    i thought about doing this myself but in the end i bought a kit
    what you are proposing is easily 'do-able' . i think the main parts are easily sourced, it will just be the smaller things you forget, as such.

your standard injectors, if you are only running low boost (ie circa 7psi) should be ok. i have a table somewhere of duties etc, i'll try and dig it out.

my remap r/r session cost me £400, but sorted the lean fueling at the top end of the rev range.
    i read some where the ideal boost for a reliable engine is around 6psi, and it will go all day long at that!, your looking at around 60bhp at that with a fmic !

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast