535i Sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by E36 lover View Post
    it was just something i found on the net while bored at work and they "claim" 15-20bhp
    been reading on some other forums and some people swear by them that it is a noticeable power increase !
    "So give me one more platinum plaque and rap, you can have it back." - Dr Dre

Spinnin' on digital 22's!

2. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

BMW Maestro
    Car Details
    E36 lover's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    328i sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    automatic
    Car Body Type:
    coupe
    Thanks
    gone off topic here
    i actually wanted to know what else i would need to fit a mini cooper s s/c to my car

Premium Member
    Car Details
    matthew_henson's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    E61 525d Touring
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Touring/Estate
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,411 Times in 1,222 Posts
    gone off topic here
    i actually wanted to know what else i would need to fit a mini cooper s s/c to my car
    There are a lot of sale on eBay around the £450 mark but the biggest issue for a supercharger is drawing the power off the crackshaft. They require a lot more power than any of the mechanics on the auxillary belt like Aircon, Alternator etc so it is going to require a dedicted pully/belt setup.

You might end up with a Heath Robinson affair where you weld an additional pulley on to the main crank pulley. The other challenge is mounting the supercharger again because these things really consume a lot of engine power, your custom mounting is go to have to be bomb proof. I guess you can knock the hoses together from one of those cheap and cheersful hose/intercooler sets on eBay.

Your final issue is injectors, it will need a re-map anyway as the air density will need more fuel to avoid knocking but you will need to find out if the standard injectors will provide enough fuel.

It is a non-trivial task and to be honest it might be better just going for a turbo kit, there are a lot more options availble on that front with nice tuned manifolds etc.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to matthew_henson For This Useful Post:

E36 lover (20-07-2011),mikaveli (20-07-2011)

BMW Maestro
    Car Details
    E36 lover's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    328i sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    automatic
    Car Body Type:
    coupe
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by matthew_henson View Post
    There are a lot of sale on eBay around the £450 mark but the biggest issue for a supercharger is drawing the power off the crackshaft. They require a lot more power than any of the mechanics on the auxillary belt like Aircon, Alternator etc so it is going to require a dedicted pully/belt setup.

You might end up with a Heath Robinson affair where you weld and additional pulley on to the main crank pulley. The other challenge is mount the supercharger again because these things really consume a lot of engine power, your custom mounting is go to have to be bomb proof. I guess you can knock the hoses together from one of those cheap and cheersful hose/intercooler sets on eBay.

Your final issue is injectors, it will need a re-map anyway as the air density will need more fuel to avoid knocking but you will need to find out if the standard injectors will provide enough fuel.

It is a non-trivial task and to be honest it might be better just going for a turbo kit, there are a lot more options availble on that front with nice tuned manifolds etc.
    turbo kits are expensive though
    apparentley because the mini s/c is not a huge output charger the injectors i have are fine

Premium Member
    Car Details
    Model of Car:
    E61 525d Touring
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Touring/Estate
    Thanks
    turbo kits are expensive though
    apparentley because the mini s/c is not a huge output charger the injectors i have are fine
    I am not familiar with the Mini setup but it is still going to need its own crankshaft pulley and mounting setup. The E36 aux belt already has quite a loading with the alternator, water pump, aircon if you have it and the power steering. And with all compression systems, you will need an intercooler to get the best out of the setup these are cheap though and can be cobbled togther pretty easily.

Don't forget with superchargers, even a lower boast one, you need to take 5-10 hp from the engine to give 30-60 back, so the greater the boast the tougher your belt/mounting setup needs to be.

Would be interesting if you venture down this route.... we want pictures :-)

BMW Maestro
    Car Details
    E36 lover's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    328i sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    automatic
    Car Body Type:
    coupe
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by matthew_henson View Post
    I am not familiar with the Mini setup but it is still going to need its own crankshaft pulley and mounting setup. The E36 aux belt already has quite a loading with the alternator, water pump, aircon if you have it and the power steering. And with all compression systems, you will need an intercooler to get the best out of the setup these are cheap though and can be cobbled togther pretty easily.

Don't forget with superchargers, even a lower boast one, you need to take 5-10 hp from the engine to give 30-60 back, so the greater the boast the tougher your belt/mounting setup needs to be.

Would be interesting if you venture down this route.... we want pictures :-)
    just an idea that im playing with at the moment

Premium Member
    Car Details
    Model of Car:
    E61 525d Touring
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Touring/Estate
    Thanks
    just an idea that im playing with at the moment
    You have got the best engine for it, the 16 valve 1.8L has a bomb proof block and plenty of space in the engine bay to add bits arround it.

Have you seen the thread on the Ausie who turbo charged an E30 for $1300 (AZ$2 to £1) he use one of those cheap and nasties off ebay.

My only worry would be longivety for day to day use and so i can see why the Mini S/C appeals

BMW Maestro
    Car Details
    m44lee's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    supercharged 318is
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    coupe

Thanks
    by the time you've paid for the charger and then the work for the custom manifold etc you'll not be far off what you'd pay for a downing atlanta anyway
    i paid £1500 for mine but that was the top of my budget for one but it was immaculate
    and then atleast that comes with everything you'd need!

but if you do go for the cooper s charger the standard injectors will be fine as mine are roughly at maximum now and thats with a uprated pulley giving extra boost!
    and its running fine on the standard map too!
    but i plan to get it all mapped soon just to get the most out of it

SUPERCHARGED 318IS

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to m44lee For This Useful Post:

E36 lover (20-07-2011),MONSTER (10-11-2011)

BMW Master
    Car Details
    markrnorton's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    Z3
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Roadster
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by m44lee View Post
    by the time you've paid for the charger and then the work for the custom manifold etc you'll not be far off what you'd pay for a downing atlanta anyway
    i paid £1500 for mine but that was the top of my budget for one but it was immaculate
    and then atleast that comes with everything you'd need!

but if you do go for the cooper s charger the standard injectors will be fine as mine are roughly at maximum now and thats with a uprated pulley giving extra boost!
    and its running fine on the standard map too!
    but i plan to get it all mapped soon just to get the most out of it
    Stick with the DA kit as M44lee says, the mini charger is not big enough to give meaningful results.

M44lee, you need to get that thing on a R/R, get the FPR set-up correct with the remap. Fit a wideband lambda like i did, it keeps you safe from burning valves and holing pistons.
    Z3

13. The Following User Says Thank You to markrnorton For This Useful Post:

MONSTER (10-11-2011)

BMW Fanatic
    Car Details
    rich@vrdevelopments's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    E30 318iS
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by m44lee View Post
    mine are roughly at maximum now
    The problem with this is something that is running is knackers off won't take long to die. Bosche cream top injectors have roughly the correct flow rate for this application and can be had for not very much money. There is a company local to me called Injectortune and they recondition, ultrasonicaly clean and test injectors so they're like new. The set I picked up from them was about £70 iirc.

www.VisionRacingDevelopments.co.uk

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

LinkBacks (?)

1. 29-07-2012, 09:23