Model of Car:
    Z3
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Roadster
    Thanks
    Another problem arose after fitting the uprated clutch. the slave cylinder.

the 1.9 slave cylinder was not up to the job and popped it seals. its slightly smaller in diameter, so , yep, the M3 one fitted. so i bought a new one and fitted it along with a braided clutch hose.

The 1.9 also needs a male/male adaptor on the clutch hose.

Clutch now sorted. its spins up alot faster with the lightened flywheel and grips immediatley with no slip.
    Z3

2. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

BMW Master
    Car Details
    markrnorton's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    Z3
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Roadster
    Thanks
    Cold air.

Yes the engine needs cold air to breathe properly so a cold air feed to the simota was needed.

Bought a 3" flexi pipe and managed to thread it behind the front nearside light and onto the front of the simota filter.

with a bit of cutting to the plastic lower down, you can get the feed to the lower portion of the front of the car.

as in pictures below

i also removed the lower plastic front grille and replaced with a higher flowing mesh set-up.
    Last edited by markrnorton; 02-04-2010 at 14:16.
    Z3

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to markrnorton For This Useful Post:

MONSTER (19-03-2011),Wanda (17-10-2012)

BMW Master
    Car Details
    Model of Car:
    Z3
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Roadster
    Thanks
    Power.

well on its first run , after its initial build, but before the flywheel and new exhaust , it made 208hp and 186lb/ft

its was running at bit lean at the top end so it was richened. which improved torque by 3lbs

i am nearing the end of my next set of mods, so it should be on the dyno again soon.

i am hoping for a significant improvement. my target is 230hp
    Z3

6. Exhaust 
    BMW Master
    Car Details
    Model of Car:
    Z3
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Roadster
    Thanks
    So far as the exhaust goes, there weren't too many options available on the market. i had a Remus twin box system, but it wasn't really upto the job with the new boost into the engine.

i needed a proper large bore all the way through from manifold to tailpipe.

i first bought a 4 into 1 manifold off ebay, in stainless. but on the Z3 i could not get the downpipe to clear the steering knuckle. pity as it looked great and would have made a nice improvement.

since that effort failed, i decided to make a big bore pipe myself using stainless steel and my trusty MIG welder.

my welding is not perfect, but i figured if i grind back the welds and polish the system it should be half decent and give me the cooling capacity the engine needed and the free flow power increase.

first up was to get some flanges made in stainless. i drew them up in CAD and one of my mates sent them off to be laser cut, he deals with these people alot so i left it upto him.

here's what i got back along with some flexes

decided to go for a straight through 2.5" pipe as this would thread under the rear subframe ok and not limit ground clearance. i also thought 3" would be too big !

so 2.5" pipe was purchased

manifold downpipe connection

in position

and now with first bend
    Z3

7. The Following User Says Thank You to markrnorton For This Useful Post:

MONSTER (19-03-2011)

Dr of BMW
    Car Details
    pangster's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    F20 M135i LCI
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Auto
    Car Body Type:
    Hatchback
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,226 Times in 885 Posts
    awesome thread Mark!!

* 2016 BMW M135i LCI (F20): current
    * 2016 Mercedes Benz GLA 200d AMG Line (X156): current

BMW Master
    Car Details
    Model of Car:
    Z3
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Roadster
    Thanks
    thanks

The main considerations for the exhaust, to re-cap, were to lower EGT (exhaust gas temperature) and to create a free flowing pipe

so 2.5" stainless was used. i purchased a free flow perfomance cat convertor. 200 cell. this apparently has an increase in flow of 85% over a standard car.

I also wanted to run a single silencer back box and drop the mid-box, to help free flow, this is , of course, at the expense of more noise.

Once last consideration in that i dont like seeing exhaust boxes, so i have made the pipe as high as possible , including the new silencer.
    Z3

BMW Master
    Car Details
    Model of Car:
    Z3
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Roadster
    Thanks
    The front pipe from the downpipe connector i made was then positioned under the car.

tacked and clamped in position, i then removed it for welding

This was then duly welded around the joints

As you can see in the pic above i have also welded in 2 lambda sensor sockets. On the pre-facelift 1.9 it only requires 1 lambda. I have also bought a wide band sensor/gauge and data logger, hence the need for the other socket.

With it back under the car, i made a support bracket from the original position from the gearbox and a U clamp.

I did away with the vibration damper from the original pipe as another aim of mine is to reduce the weight of the car

Z3

11. The Following User Says Thank You to markrnorton For This Useful Post:

Prince (09-09-2011)

BMW Master
    Car Details
    Model of Car:
    Z3
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Roadster
    Thanks
    I'm going to jump a bit here, i will comeback to the finished exhaust

Now started on the interior electrics

I HATE ELECTRICS !! and threading cabling through fiddly places

Got 2 gauges to fit in

1) Wideband lambda with data logger
    2) digital boost gauge

managed to find a cable route through the gearlever rubber shroud, so threaded both through and under the car, but within the trans tunnel insulation.

cant plug in the O2 sensor yet as it has to go through a calibration routine first time round in ambient air. once thats done it can get screwed into welded socket in exhaust.

got the pressure sensor for the boost gauge fitted ok, and the cabling threads down the LHS of the car, through the insulation as well.

this will also need primary calibration to allow for relative sea level ! this is a very accurate gauge, not looking forward to setting either of them up really. but the accuracy will be most usefull

also got the up and download leads accessable underneath the ashtray. so this will be an easy plug-in to the laptop.

got to mount the gauges now in a half sensible place, not looking forward to cutting the dash/console as i dont want to make any mistakes.
    Z3

BMW Master
    Car Details
    Model of Car:
    Z3
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Roadster
    Thanks
    got the lambda sensor calibrated at long last, it took a while as the gauge and data logger had to be correctly wired up. Done this, got the button and led placed in the console and also the gauge.

the lambda has to be calibrated out of the pipe in clean air, then screwed into the pipe. this took a while, but once done i found the cabling from the sensor was a bit short, so i ended up drilling a hole in the transmission tunnel to feed it through to the logger. Job done . and it all works !!

it goes through a 30 second warm up phase then reads super accurate from then on and data logs.

also bought the non return valve for the air line to the injectors from BMW at the weekend. using a brake check valve from a mini !!

on the n/a m44 the injectors breathe back and forth to the inlet side of the engine, before the throttle body. this is not so good when boosted as it can bleed boost back, loosing pressure. the NRV fits into the air line stopping the bleed back and increasing boost, or rather not allowing it to loose boost. not sure how much yet, by all accounts its around 0.5psi
    this may sound a small amount but it may account for around 5hp. we shall see.

exhaust sounds great , and the new M3 clutch is sharp !! we will see how much difference the new lightened flywheel will make soon.
    Z3

14. The Following User Says Thank You to markrnorton For This Useful Post:

pangster (13-04-2010)

Dr of BMW
    Car Details
    pangster's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    F20 M135i LCI
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Auto
    Car Body Type:
    Hatchback
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,226 Times in 885 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by markrnorton View Post
    got the lambda sensor calibrated at long last, it took a while as the gauge and data logger had to be correctly wired up. Done this, got the button and led placed in the console and also the gauge.

the lambda has to be calibrated out of the pipe in clean air, then screwed into the pipe. this took a while, but once done i found the cabling from the sensor was a bit short, so i ended up drilling a hole in the transmission tunnel to feed it through to the logger. Job done . and it all works !!

it goes through a 30 second warm up phase then reads super accurate from then on and data logs.

also bought the non return valve for the air line to the injectors from BMW at the weekend. using a brake check valve from a mini !!

on the n/a m44 the injectors breathe back and forth to the inlet side of the engine, before the throttle body. this is not so good when boosted as it can bleed boost back, loosing pressure. the NRV fits into the air line stopping the bleed back and increasing boost, or rather not allowing it to loose boost. not sure how much yet, by all accounts its around 0.5psi
    this may sound a small amount but it may account for around 5hp. we shall see.

exhaust sounds great , and the new M3 clutch is sharp !! we will see how much difference the new lightened flywheel will make soon.
    looks like you've been busy Mark!! - excellent progress and nice clean looking install!

I remember when I was looking at boost/AFR and EGR gauges for a previous car as well as data logging - I stumbled across PLX Devices which seemed pretty good:

http://www.plxdevices.com/multigauges.html

the draw for me was that they were customisable and could display and datalog several parameters at once.. pretty pricey though so I ended up getting 3 separate gauges in an Omori din panel!

Keep us posted with progress/results!!!

* 2016 BMW M135i LCI (F20): current
    * 2016 Mercedes Benz GLA 200d AMG Line (X156): current

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast