1992 E36 325 - What needs uprating when supercharging?

Notices
 

Thread: 1992 E36 325 - What needs uprating when supercharging?

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13
  1. 1992 E36 325 - What needs uprating when supercharging? 
    #1
    BMW Fanatic
    Car Details
    Quiver's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    325i
    Year of Manufacture:
    1992
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupé
    Quiver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Preston, Lancashire
    Posts
    97
    Thanks
    21
    Thanked 11 Times in 10 Posts
    Hi guys,

    A purely theoretical question here: say you supercharge your stock 325i - what do you need to replace/upgrade/uprate in order to keep it 100% healthy and reliable (even when driven hard)?

    I mean, it's not purely theoretical, I do have a 325i coupe and I was looking at this supercharger kit from Auto Werke for under 3 grand, and I must say - at this sort of price, it's just so tempting

    At this moment though, I haven't even finished sorting out all the little bits that need sorting (some minor corrosion, one or two switches don't work, wiper blades need replacing, etc, etc), so it'll be a while before I even get to think of upgrading things... Hence "theoretical" question
    But all the same - I would love to know how much does it actually cost to install a supercharger - including all the necessary labour and parts.
     
     

  2. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements
     

  3.  
    #2
    BMW Guru
    Car Details
    328mark's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    E46 328i se
    Year of Manufacture:
    1998
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    saloon
    328mark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    corringham essex
    Posts
    5,471
    Thanks
    815
    Thanked 2,426 Times in 1,920 Posts
    first thing that springs to mind...if you have the power of an M3 then you better have the braking and handling to match.
    pretty sure a healthy bottom end will take the extra grunt,but maybe a head overhaul might be an idea...also,make sure the cooling system is in tip top condition.
    bigger wheels and tyres for fitting the bigger brakes into...not gonna be cheap lol
    what i've felt,what i've known
    never shined through in what i've shown.

    -------------------------------------------
    PLEASE READ THE POSTING RULES & HOW TO CORRECT THREAD TITLES & THE SELLING RULES
     
     

  4.  
    #3
    BMW Fanatic
    Car Details
    Quiver's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    325i
    Year of Manufacture:
    1992
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupé
    Quiver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Preston, Lancashire
    Posts
    97
    Thanks
    21
    Thanked 11 Times in 10 Posts
    Cheers for trying to help 328mark - but my question was about actual drivetrain, not the whole car :P (I should have made it clear in my first post).

    Essentially, I would like to know which engine / transmission components can easily cope with the extra power/torque/pressure/heat (whichever applies) generated via addition of a supercharger, and which will need uprating.

    My first guess was propshafts, as these tend to snap even on stock M3s. Next was cooling - although the stock radiator seems to be able to take much more than the stock engine is able to throw at it, so it might actually be ok...

    But then what about valves, seals, cams, etc, etc? I don't know a lot about these things (apart from being vaguely aware of their existence) so it's hard for me to even hazard a guess as to which might need uprating (and how much could it cost).
     
     

  5. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements
     

  6.  
    #4
    Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    xXxStKxXx's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    325i
    Year of Manufacture:
    1993
    Transmission Type:
    man
    Car Body Type:
    saloon

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    North London
    Posts
    8
    Thanks
    4,432
    Thanked 6,073 Times in 4,855 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by spartacus1 View Post
    buy an m3
    Thanks,thats helpful...................

    OP I would suggest in getting in touch with Alpina527-He is very knowledgeable when it comes to tuning these engines
    Last edited by xXxStKxXx; 26-10-2009 at 21:07.
     
     

  7.  
    #5
    BMW Guru
    Car Details
    328mark's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    E46 328i se
    Year of Manufacture:
    1998
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    saloon
    328mark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    corringham essex
    Posts
    5,471
    Thanks
    815
    Thanked 2,426 Times in 1,920 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Quiver View Post
    My first guess was propshafts, as these tend to snap even on stock M3s. Next was cooling - although the stock radiator seems to be able to take much more than the stock engine is able to throw at it, so it might actually be ok...

    But then what about valves, seals, cams, etc, etc? I don't know a lot about these things (apart from being vaguely aware of their existence) so it's hard for me to even hazard a guess as to which might need uprating (and how much could it cost).
    i would say reinforce the rear floorplan 1st...props break when the car is launched hard while floorpans go for fun.
    i did say about a top end overhaul...reseating/lapping in some new valves etc. new rings and rehone the bores for a good seal.
    at low pressures the stock stuff will cope no problem...bmw know how to engineer an engine
    what i've felt,what i've known
    never shined through in what i've shown.

    -------------------------------------------
    PLEASE READ THE POSTING RULES & HOW TO CORRECT THREAD TITLES & THE SELLING RULES
     
     

  8.  
    #6
    Bfuk Legend
    Car Details
    RJB328i's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    350i
    Year of Manufacture:
    1989
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    2 door vert
    RJB328i's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    surrey
    Posts
    5,675
    Thanks
    7,052
    Thanked 6,626 Times in 4,238 Posts
    the supercharger kit you'll looking at needs no mods mate to the engine, i would look at uprating the brakes mate, the supercharger gives a wide powerband and is different from a M3 which has to be reved
     
     

  9.  
    #7
    Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    xXxStKxXx's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    325i
    Year of Manufacture:
    1993
    Transmission Type:
    man
    Car Body Type:
    saloon

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    North London
    Posts
    8
    Thanks
    4,432
    Thanked 6,073 Times in 4,855 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Quiver View Post
    Hi guys,

    A purely theoretical question here: say you supercharge your stock 325i - what do you need to replace/upgrade/uprate in order to keep it 100% healthy and reliable (even when driven hard)?

    I mean, it's not purely theoretical, I do have a 325i coupe and I was looking at this supercharger kit from Auto Werke for under 3 grand, and I must say - at this sort of price, it's just so tempting

    At this moment though, I haven't even finished sorting out all the little bits that need sorting (some minor corrosion, one or two switches don't work, wiper blades need replacing, etc, etc), so it'll be a while before I even get to think of upgrading things... Hence "theoretical" question
    But all the same - I would love to know how much does it actually cost to install a supercharger - including all the necessary labour and parts.

    Will that kit fit a RHD car?
     
     

  10.  
    #8
    BMW Fanatic
    Car Details
    Quiver's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    325i
    Year of Manufacture:
    1992
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupé
    Quiver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Preston, Lancashire
    Posts
    97
    Thanks
    21
    Thanked 11 Times in 10 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 328mark View Post
    i would say reinforce the rear floorplan 1st...props break when the car is launched hard while floorpans go for fun.
    i did say about a top end overhaul...reseating/lapping in some new valves etc. new rings and rehone the bores for a good seal.
    at low pressures the stock stuff will cope no problem...bmw know how to engineer an engine
    That sounds like almost complete engine rebuild... Any idea how much would it cost? As for "low pressure" - not sure... it says it gives 8psi boost - you tell me if it's low or high...

    Quote Originally Posted by RJB328i
    the supercharger kit you'll looking at needs no mods mate to the engine
    Are you sure? Supercharger means going from 192 (if that) peak brakehorses to 314, and you're saying the old engine would just take it?... That's quite different from the answer above. What about the rest of the drivetrain then? No one mentioned clutch for example.

    StK - I think it does fit RHD... why would they sell it in UK otherwise?

    I did some research by the way, and it seems like RJB328i could be right: this ESS Tuning FAQ says supercharged engines running boost up to 6-8PSI should not require any engine internals modifications.

    I also realised that it says BMW E36 325i 93-95 in the product title, in the link to the shop I gave above... And my car is '92. So it probably means it only works for engines with VANOS... Cr*p.
     
     

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to Quiver For This Useful Post:

    RJB328i (27-10-2009)

  12.  
    #9
    BMW Guru
    Car Details
    328mark's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    E46 328i se
    Year of Manufacture:
    1998
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    saloon
    328mark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    corringham essex
    Posts
    5,471
    Thanks
    815
    Thanked 2,426 Times in 1,920 Posts
    i think the key phrase there is 'engine internals modifications.'
    the stock bmw engine...in good condition...will have no trouble handling a low boost of 8 psi.
    all of our engines are running 14.5 psi of air pressure through them...ie 1 atmosphere(bar) so half as much again can be said to be low boost.
    get somewhere over 1 bar of boost (turbo's) then we can regard that as high boost pressure.(boost that requires mods to the compression ratio of a std engine)


    iirc your engine has over 100k miles on it?...would be prudent to give it a slight overhaul to get the best out of a 3 grand s/c kit and keep the boost in the compression chambers rather than the crankcase
    what i've felt,what i've known
    never shined through in what i've shown.

    -------------------------------------------
    PLEASE READ THE POSTING RULES & HOW TO CORRECT THREAD TITLES & THE SELLING RULES
     
     

  13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 328mark For This Useful Post:

    Quiver (27-10-2009),RJB328i (27-10-2009)

  14.  
    #10
    Bfuk Legend
    Car Details
    RJB328i's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    350i
    Year of Manufacture:
    1989
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    2 door vert
    RJB328i's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    surrey
    Posts
    5,675
    Thanks
    7,052
    Thanked 6,626 Times in 4,238 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Quiver View Post
    That sounds like almost complete engine rebuild... Any idea how much would it cost? As for "low pressure" - not sure... it says it gives 8psi boost - you tell me if it's low or high...

    Are you sure? Supercharger means going from 192 (if that) peak brakehorses to 314, and you're saying the old engine would just take it?... That's quite different from the answer above. What about the rest of the drivetrain then? No one mentioned clutch for example.

    StK - I think it does fit RHD... why would they sell it in UK otherwise?

    I did some research by the way, and it seems like RJB328i could be right: this ESS Tuning FAQ says supercharged engines running boost up to 6-8PSI should not require any engine internals modifications.

    I also realised that it says BMW E36 325i 93-95 in the product title, in the link to the shop I gave above... And my car is '92. So it probably means it only works for engines with VANOS... Cr*p.

    y wont it work with non vanos, vanos i just a valve timing setup and i dont understand y the supercharger would not work mate, as it has nothing to do with this area of the engine
     
     

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Tags for this Thread

View Tag Cloud

Posting Permissions
  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts