whats best way/cheapest to add more power to my bmw 318 2002??

Notices

Thread: whats best way/cheapest to add more power to my bmw 318 2002??

Reply to Thread
  1. whats best way/cheapest to add more power to my bmw 318 2002?? 
    Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    iamnavman's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    saloon

Thanks
    i was thinking about putting in a turbo for my 318 but ive been told that its more hassle than its worth and best way for more power would be an 2ltr conversion for it? need help from people who would know more about beamers as my friends only have evo's,skylines etc much appreciated

2. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    xXxStKxXx's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    325i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    man
    Car Body Type:
    saloon

Thanks
    Thanked 6,073 Times in 4,855 Posts
    Best way is to sell it and buy one with a bigger engine. You can always drop in a bigger lump but it means also upgrading everything else. You will get a 330 for less than it will cost to do an engine conversion

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    iamnavman's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    saloon

Thanks
    cheers for the help people! but this is where i hit the brick wall :( im only 19 and as you know the insurance will probably pull my pants down on anything bigger than 2.5 lol i do like my car alot just wish it had more power to it

5. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

BMW Maestro
    Car Details
    Dez-Derek's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    e39 523i SE
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Automatic/Steptronic
    Car Body Type:
    Sedan/Saloon
    Thanks
    Then sell your car and get a 320, 323 or 325 lol. Unless you were not going to declare the engine conversion to your insurers

Driven by experience and pleasure

BMW Guru
    Car Details
    TheEnd's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Auto
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,990 Times in 2,440 Posts
    There would be quite a lot of work in going from a 4cyl to a 6cyl, you'd really need to have a wrecked 6 cyl next to it and swap over everything, and you'd end up with a frankenstein car that'd be hard to sell.

BMW Guru
    Car Details
    vauxfan's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    325 sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    automatic
    Car Body Type:
    loon
    Thanks
    Guys, this is a 4 pot! the cheapest and best way to get more power is a mini cooper supercharger! plenty out there. you can get 1 cheaply, make up some fixing brackets and then go to a tuning company to have the car mapped for the charger. add 50 bhp to your current power.

BMW Maestro
    Car Details
    cforehead's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    335d M Sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Auto
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by iamnavman View Post
    cheers for the help people! but this is where i hit the brick wall :( im only 19 and as you know the insurance will probably pull my pants down on anything bigger than 2.5 lol i do like my car alot just wish it had more power to it
    It will cost you far more to insure a heavily modified 318 (with a supercharger, upgraded brakes, the obligatory 20" wheels etc) than it will to just insure a standard 330.

That is unless you're planning on not declaring the mods to your 318? In which case you might as well just get the 330 anyway and not insure it at all.

2008 335d M Sport Coupe

BMW Guru
    Car Details
    vauxfan's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    325 sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    automatic
    Car Body Type:
    loon
    Thanks
    What you have to answer is this, yes you can sell and get a 330??? but is it for the fun side of things? is it some you want to do to make it different from the rest? or is it soley for the fact you get get a bit over money every week/month to slowly do up your car? some thing that selling yours and buying a bigger 1 isn't a financial option.
    If it is a bit of all the later 1s then i do believe you will hae a lot more fun and excitment from creating your own unique car that has a bit of you in it. I personally believe a mini super charged 318 is a better fun car than a 330. Not only is the car a lot lighter having only a 4 pot that a straight 6 which helps with acceleration, braking, handleing and the 4pots rev a lot better than the sluggish 6 pots. If your 318 is the 140bhp lump then you can easily see 200bhp. and i am more than sure with the correct set up a 330 will not leave you behind. infact i would go as far as saying the 318 will out handle the 330 as well. nothing says you have to have 20 inch wheels! and if like you said you had already planned on modifiying then whether its a set of wheels, a spoiler? or a supercharger it is still only classed as 1 mod. most insurance companys will not charge you more for having a larger set of wheels as long as they are bmw wheels,(some thing you need to check with your insurance) and you can also upgrade you brakes to the 318convertable discs that are bigger and still not get charged more as these discs did some times get used o the normal 318 when parts where in demand. some thing that can not be disproved. and the best thing with the supercharger is the fact you get the power from the turn of the key, all the way up the rev band, something the 6 pots miss, and the 325/330 have to be revved hard to get them to shift! een the low torque power band 323 and 328s still need to do aswell. 4 pots rev very well already. you will have a talking point at the very least.

BMW Maestro
    Car Details
    cforehead's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    335d M Sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Auto
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe
    Thanks
    I disagree. Fools errand if all you're after is more power (which is what the OP asks for). If he said he wanted a project then fair enough go for a 'Charger on the 318.

I would also imagine that a 330i will be comfortably faster than a charged 318 with 200bhp, and it will only yeild a better braking performance if the components are upgraded to those from a 330 - which will cost a boat load.

2008 335d M Sport Coupe

BMW Guru
    Car Details
    vauxfan's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    325 sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    automatic
    Car Body Type:
    loon
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cforehead View Post
    I disagree. Fools errand if all you're after is more power (which is what the OP asks for). If he said he wanted a project then fair enough go for a 'Charger on the 318.

I would also imagine that a 330i will be comfortably faster than a charged 318 with 200bhp, and it will only yeild a better braking performance if the components are upgraded to those from a 330 - which will cost a boat load.
    the problem there is the op might actually want a project, just because he hasn't mentioned it in his post, that fact he wants to add power meens he wants to improve his car! maybe not a full blown project thatis why i put a few questions to him then answered with if any of the latter are true. a 330 will not be noticably faster nor will it need 330 brakes! the charictoristics of a 6 pot and a 4 pot power delivery are completely different! a 6 pot delivers power higher up the rev range and needs to be pushed all the way to make it fly, the 4 pot gives a much more lower down push and being a lighter block which is a massive plus when it comes to making a car move from standing and making it go round bends. i am not saying the car is better than a 330, just that the op can get his car up to the same level of performance, or better in the twistys for a bit of monthly money that maybe all he can afford to do! a 330 is smooth, all the 6pots are, and at high revs will pull strong, but for sheer fun and something different as in "adding more power to my 318" then the only viable and cost effective solution is a mini supercharger.

just on the brakes, you wouldn't put 330 discs on a 318, 325/ 320d are more than adiquit. £50 discs (pagid) £20 textar pads (oem) and the carriers £20 brakers yard.
    a 318 has 147bhp, and weighs 1320kg, thats 111bhp per tonne. if it had 200bhp thats 151bhp per tonne.
    a 330 has 231bhp and weighs 1505kg, thats 153bhp per tonne. nothing in it other than how the power is delivered.