Walking thru a turbo setup m42 on e36

Notices

Thread: Walking thru a turbo setup m42 on e36

Reply to Thread
  1. Walking thru a turbo setup m42 on e36 
    Bimmer Fan
    Thanks
    lets start this off...hello everybody im new to the forums. I just got a 95 318i with m42 manual and since every car i have own in the past 6 years had have a turbo i decided to refresh and reinforce the internals to BOOST the week M42 So i score a nice turbo manifold (obx) for 450 shipped with 3 inch downpipe and all here is a pic
    and i just bouth some eagle roods and je pistons tru my friend that works in eagle specialty producs. now i know cosmetic makes ahead gasket 3 layer metal to seal the cylinders nicely . now here it is where i need you guys help and input rod bearings and mains .. i seen in a website someone drilled small holes in the bearings for more lubrication here is a pic ..NOW DO I NEED TO DO THIS STEEP?? i mean i cud but prefer not to touch the mains and rod bearings...ANYBODY KNOWS HOW MANY PSI THE FACTORY SLEEVES WILL TAKE? ....neex concern will be FUEL AND TIMMING ..is there a easy sofware to reprogram my ECU .. i have a programer and im familiar woth crome / bre /and hondata software because thats what im use to with my previos turbo cars wish i still own 2 400+civics.. I made a nissan 240sx turbo and it was easy because the mass air flow can see air flow and there are cheats to cheat the ecu for fuel like bore the MASS air flow diameter (x)% and install fuel injectors (x)% bigger. NOW I DONT KNOW WISH WAY TO GO ....HELP

2. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

Bimmerforums Central
    Car Details
    Boostist's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    E46 320i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,427 Times in 1,481 Posts
    Hi

Well, I dont know about the main bearing drilling but if I were you I wouldnt try doing it yourself!
    At best it would need a good machine shop to do them and possibly they might need to be re machined back to fully 'round'.
    A bit of a hornets nest that one because its very likely they would get deformed when drilling (the human eye might not spot it, but measuring equipment would...)

I have zero experience of the 318 engine and would have recommended you to save the money and do an engine swap to get some extra CCs BUT I do know of people that have done it sucessfully and got decent numbers out of it.

With forged pistons you dont need to worry about the BMW block strength...It will take 20psi ++ boost if the engine is built right, the compression is suitable (eg 8.5:1 or 9:1) and if the TUNING is good.

On to the tricky part, Im not sure what you should use but I know you could use a piggyback with the system and tune it like that.

i cant for the life of me remember the name of a good piggyback but I will do and will post it up

Bimmer Fan
    Thanks
    Thanks Mr Boosting fot the info on the block .. I touth about swaping motors but because my motor is not to popular and is easy found everywhere it makes more sence for me to built.( race what you can afford to brake) =-) plus i have a few turbo parts sitting around and my friend found me a deal for 600 pistons and rods so it makes more sence to rebuilt the mini m42... On the piggy back i used AFC2 from APEXI before in a nissan and it worked great...but i will need the pin out points on the ecu for maf signal and RPM signal ...... but timing im concern with. Will the ecu retard some timing? because is distributor less and im not familiar with the ignition sistem of BMW. If i polish the block oil passages can i rev the motor to 7200rpm .. whats the limmits on rpm with this engine?.. im taking the motor out friday so ill start to post some pics then... I

IF anybody read this and have boost a m42 please your coments are wanted please post...

5. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

Bimmer Fan
    Thanks
    hi mtxmatrixx, post on http://www.m42club.com/forums with these infos you'll have more details for this little engine

Bimmerforums Central
    Car Details
    Boostist's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    E46 320i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,427 Times in 1,481 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nuvolarossa View Post
    hi mtxmatrixx, post on http://www.m42club.com/forums with these infos you'll have more details for this little engine
    Although this is effectively spam....seeing as it is relevant I havent deleted it....

Bimmer Fan
    Thanks
    would tht turbo kit work on an m44??

BFuk Moderator
    Car Details
    morerevsm3's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    M3, and 325e
    Year of Manufacture:
    1994 and 1986
    Transmission Type:
    manual and manual