Model of Car:
    530d
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    touring
    Thanks
    I dont use a lambda sensor at all, closed loop maps are a treat. The ecu I use tho is Motec and has sufficient look up tables to adjust for temp changes, voltage changes and all the rest of it. Wide band lambda mainly just gives better ecconomy on cruise. A wide band is a must for mapping tho obviously, and some are better than others, £250 isnt going to be an award winner thats for sure. With guage I would say £1500 for a good wide band set up. But your mapper will have that saving you buying one.

Its worth monitoring exhaust gas temps tho, and a Motec (like many other ecus) has aux 0-12v annalogue inputs that can be user calibrated, you can use a K type to 0-10v converter, and by using a good meter with K type out put set MSB and LSB to the appropriate voltages and temps, then the ecu can data log EGTs. The out put from a thermo couple is as good as liniar so no need to do multi point calibration, like EGTs are to +-10v anyway :roll

One good use of a wide band however is logging, if you log wide band, throttle possition, injector duty and a few other things you can go for a run then tweek the map and go for another run and so on, saves mapping whilst driving. On big power cars this is a must, try driving an 800bhp car and not looking at the road, doesnt last long

The more you can data log, the better, after a run seeing all is well is nice. Last year, first race, I changed down too early and over reved due to new gear ratios, but when I looked it only reved to 8700rpm and thats fine, my rev limit is 8k, but I know the valve springs etc are good for more.

Sorry for waffling on!!

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mrbarry For This Useful Post:

DonutMan1 (19-10-2009),Reno5gtt (01-06-2009)

3. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

BMW Crazed
    Car Details
    Reno5gtt's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    318is M-tech
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mrbarry View Post
    I dont use a lambda sensor at all, closed loop maps are a treat. The ecu I use tho is Motec and has sufficient look up tables to adjust for temp changes, voltage changes and all the rest of it. Wide band lambda mainly just gives better ecconomy on cruise. A wide band is a must for mapping tho obviously, and some are better than others, £250 isnt going to be an award winner thats for sure. With guage I would say £1500 for a good wide band set up. But your mapper will have that saving you buying one.

Its worth monitoring exhaust gas temps tho, and a Motec (like many other ecus) has aux 0-12v annalogue inputs that can be user calibrated, you can use a K type to 0-10v converter, and by using a good meter with K type out put set MSB and LSB to the appropriate voltages and temps, then the ecu can data log EGTs. The out put from a thermo couple is as good as liniar so no need to do multi point calibration, like EGTs are to +-10v anyway :roll

One good use of a wide band however is logging, if you log wide band, throttle possition, injector duty and a few other things you can go for a run then tweek the map and go for another run and so on, saves mapping whilst driving. On big power cars this is a must, try driving an 800bhp car and not looking at the road, doesnt last long

The more you can data log, the better, after a run seeing all is well is nice. Last year, first race, I changed down too early and over reved due to new gear ratios, but when I looked it only reved to 8700rpm and thats fine, my rev limit is 8k, but I know the valve springs etc are good for more.

Sorry for waffling on!!
    Oh sounds very complicated! I might just stick to old skool turbo's carbs are easy to mod and fairly cheap compared to modern day motors.

I doubt I could afford it now, maybe I am trying to grow up a little fast .

Thankyou for the info mate, a standard E36 328i will do fine! lol

BMW Maestro
    Car Details
    Bonse's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    730D M Sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Auto/Semi-Auto
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Reno5gtt View Post
    Cheers to ElectricGer! had a quick browse at them they are quite similar but that companys seems abit more trusting! lol

No 5 any more mate its just the screen name is something thats stuck for a while I do engine work for a mate for who does Turbo'd renaults, 5's, 9's,11's,21 turbo's, Quadra's etc... when not out on the railway. I had a Gold phase 2 5 Turbo on a G plate around 220bhp and did the quarter mile in 13 sec. Very quick lol quickest car I've owned. I have worked on a few dimma's they seem to rot from the insde out and trying to get to the bodywork under the kit with out ruining it is a no go! lol

you can check out some of my builds and motors at www.bebo.com/billy_brown_r5gtt

Cheers
    they can last a whole quarter mile!? hehe few mates had some man they blow constantly lol well there's did

2006 E65 730d Sport - 2011 E93 325d Sport Convertible

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Bonse For This Useful Post:

Reno5gtt (16-02-2010)

BMW Master
    Car Details
    mrbarry's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    530d
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    touring
    Thanks
    They are only as good as the man on the spanners! Build them right they will last long enough. They are french tho, and will also rust away before they do a standing mile lol.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to mrbarry For This Useful Post:

Reno5gtt (16-02-2010)

BMW Crazed
    Car Details
    Reno5gtt's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    318is M-tech
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonse View Post
    they can last a whole quarter mile!? hehe few mates had some man they blow constantly lol well there's did
    Funny you should say that! I went through three bottom ends, two gear boxes, 2 alternators, starters etc... luckily I have and endless supply of spares from my mates garage! . Thats what happens though when you run 30 psi of boost from a T25 hybrid!

Theres a vid on you-tube of me catching a 360 bhp RB320 scooby up the quarter mile unfortunatly the 4x4 got the traction off the line . He was running mid 12's Quick motor!

I can't give you the link becuse the works comp have blocked youtube, type in RB320, click on the vid RB320 vs CTR then select the vid of the same RB320 racing the ren 5 gt turbo up the strip.

BMW Crazed
    Car Details
    Reno5gtt's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    318is M-tech
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mrbarry View Post
    They are only as good as the man on the spanners! Build them right they will last long enough. They are french tho, and will also rust away before they do a standing mile lol.
    Exactly!

I have looked after a couple of standard one's with 90k on the clock never abused and still running the origional T2 with no problems. One of them is a phase one on a D reg with the non-water cooled turbo .

Treat them right and they will last........apart from the rot!

BMW Fanatic
    Car Details
    paul85's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    318is
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    coupe
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ElectricGer View Post
    have a look at www.schmiedmann.com/,

might work out cheaper for ya
    why did i not know about this site
    i'm in the dog house now as my wifey woman has just caught me doing a wish list /shopping cart
    totalled nearly 2k
    but she doesnt believe it was a wish list

BMW Master
    Car Details
    ElectricGer's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    320i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by paul85 View Post
    why did i not know about this site
    i'm in the dog house now as my wifey woman has just caught me doing a wish list /shopping cart
    totalled nearly 2k
    but she doesnt believe it was a wish list
    yeah they're quite good,

many a time have I created wishlist from this site

top of which would have a manifold from them on it....its looks real nice

13. all good reADING/ 
    BMW Fanatic
    Car Details
    DonutMan1's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon

Thanks
    hEY ALL.

I wish i'd joined this forum earlier.

Mr barry man you know your stuff. Not to blow smoke up ur @@@ but this is one of a very few forums where you actualy learn new stuff.

Cheerrs Donut........................

BMW Crazed
    Car Details
    bmwsparesuk's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    318I
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    MANUAL
    Car Body Type:
    SALOON

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Reno5gtt View Post
    ALrite,

I am one of those new members

Setting out to buy an E36 328i or poss 325i? Whats better?
    I like the look of the E36 I am only 23 I would get an M3 but the Insurance is £1800 fully comp and with a little girl my girlfriend says thats out the window.

My other option as above an the insurance is down to £600 fully comp, great!!

Unfortunatly I am into my turbo cars (as on profile) and found a turbo kit for the E36 at www.xs-power.co.uk has anyone herd of them? are they any good?

Their kit is £495.00 Which includes, stainless manifold, gaskets, turbo, housing, oil feed and return pipes etc... But it just seems too cheap! Obviously compression has to be lowered, pipe run and intercooler is needed, will it then need re-mapped?

Any thought or advice would be appreciated.

Thank you.
    been there done that, they are full of shit.. you wont be able to get a turbo in there as the steering column will come in the way. we even took one of them apart and the build quality isnt very good.

only way it may work is if you get a lhd e36

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast