Locking the Vanos on your BMW Engine - Page 2

Notices
 

Thread: Locking the Vanos on your BMW Engine

Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 30
  1.  
    #11
    BMW Crazed
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    167
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Bigstuff3?

    Im currently embarking on custom turboing my M3 (what other way is there in the UK!)
    After looking into the standalone options, I have narrowed it down to 2..

    The AEM standalone (using my own a custom loom), or an Autronic SM4

    Does anyone have a preference on these please?

    Also, can u explain some more about the bigstuff3 plse topshotta? I have heard the brand name b4 but assumed it was a drag car focused ecu?

    is it possible to start a poll on here also?

    I want to start a 'which standalone is best for BMW turboing" poll to see what others favour
     
     

  2. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements
     

  3.  
    #12
    Bimmerforums Old Timer - RIP Mate
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Ft. Lauderdale
    Posts
    57
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    www.bigstuff3.com
    there regular unit is quite capable, i know a guy with a mustang making over 2000hp with one
    unfortunately it wont run your vanos

    there Gen4 unit is probably the most advanced standalones on the planet
    it uses the same processor as the 335i, infeneon tricore tc1796
    it is in my opinion an amazing piece, and if its as reliable as the older ones it cant be beat

    as for your 2 choices, the aem is a very very nice unit
    the software is very easy to use and they have been proven over and over
    the problem is the aem wont control your double vanos

    the autronic(top of the line one) will be capable of vanos control like the Gen4 bigstuff unit
    the autronics are also top notch units, but im not a big fan of the software
    your other option would be a motec m600 which would be able to run your double vanos

    now i know your local guys there are all going to tell you to lock the vanos.
    trust me its worth the extra work to keep it
    not only will you spool up faster but you canm run hot cams and retain a smooth idle
    just takes some playing with the cam timing
     
     

  4.  
    #13
    BMW Crazed
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    167
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by topshotta02 View Post
    www.bigstuff3.com
    there regular unit is quite capable, i know a guy with a mustang making over 2000hp with one
    unfortunately it wont run your vanos

    there Gen4 unit is probably the most advanced standalones on the planet
    it uses the same processor as the 335i, infeneon tricore tc1796
    it is in my opinion an amazing piece, and if its as reliable as the older ones it cant be beat

    as for your 2 choices, the aem is a very very nice unit
    the software is very easy to use and they have been proven over and over
    the problem is the aem wont control your double vanos

    the autronic(top of the line one) will be capable of vanos control like the Gen4 bigstuff unit
    the autronics are also top notch units, but im not a big fan of the software
    your other option would be a motec m600 which would be able to run your double vanos

    now i know your local guys there are all going to tell you to lock the vanos.
    trust me its worth the extra work to keep it
    not only will you spool up faster but you canm run hot cams and retain a smooth idle
    just takes some playing with the cam timing

    Hmm.
    Thanks for the info m8.
    My car is a single vanos love machine : (S50B30)
    I had the dual vanos thing in mind when I bought the car and I felt the 3litre block is better for head to block sealing with bigger booost?

    Interesting summary of the units.thanks for that. I like all its features and the 'tried and tested' factor of the AEM..
    but the flipside is my Swedish Idols nearly all use Autronic and thats a heavily competent ecu as well

    Choices choices
     
     

  5.  
    #14
    Bimmerforums Old Timer - RIP Mate
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Ft. Lauderdale
    Posts
    57
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    controlling the vanos on the 3.0 is just as much of an issue

    the swedes love the autronic because it retains the single vanos

    i think the autronic would be a perfect match for your application

    best thing is you can email one of the swedes and ask for a base file so you dont have to deal with configuring everything
    vanos settings can be tricky

    ive been through turbocharging several of these cars and have tons of info and experience with the S50B30
    if you need any help or have any questions feel free to ask
    Last edited by topshotta02; 20-08-2007 at 10:11.
     
     

  6.  
    #15
    BMW Crazed
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    167
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by topshotta02 View Post
    controlling the vanos on the 3.0 is just as much of an issue

    the swedes love the autronic because it retains the single vanos

    i think the autronic would be a perfect match for your application

    best thing is you can email one of the swedes and ask for a base file so you dont have to deal with configuring everything
    vanos settings can be tricky

    ive been through turbocharging several of these cars and have tons of info and experience with the S50B30
    if you need any help or have any questions feel free to ask
    I thought the single vanos was more of an on/off switch? and the dual vanos being variable?


    Yeah. Im very seriously thinking about the Autronic.

    if it's good for the Swedes...it's good for me

    Thanks for the offer of some help.

    I will (and do) have loads of questions and also some discoveries to share hopefully so I will take you up on that one :

    RE/ getting a base file from someone in Sweden...

    I think thats unlikley TBO cos I dont speak Swedish and usually they dont seem to help out if you cant speak their language :(

    Im trying to learn some tho. It is a weird language tho and I havent a good enough grip of it yet!
     
     

  7.  
    #16
    Bimmerforums Old Timer - RIP Mate
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Ft. Lauderdale
    Posts
    57
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    the vanos on the US 3.0 and 3.2 is on/off like the 328's

    the S50B30 uses a fully variable system, cant recall the exact number of degrees its been so many years since i played with one

    it is deffinitely something you want to keep and i think for the money the autronic is the way to go
    the motec is overcomplicated and very exspensive

    as for the file from the swedes, money always has a way of breaking the language barrier
    not to mention autronic themselves could probably get one for you

    your gonna be so happy when the car is done
    theres nothing like a FI S50B30
    they rev like bikes
     
     

  8.  
    #17
    Bimmer Fan
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    19
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by topshotta02 View Post
    the vanos on the US 3.0 and 3.2 is on/off like the 328's

    the S50B30 uses a fully variable system, cant recall the exact number of degrees its been so many years since i played with one

    it is deffinitely something you want to keep and i think for the money the autronic is the way to go
    the motec is overcomplicated and very exspensive

    as for the file from the swedes, money always has a way of breaking the language barrier
    not to mention autronic themselves could probably get one for you

    your gonna be so happy when the car is done
    theres nothing like a FI S50B30
    they rev like bikes
    Couldnt agree more that money always breaches the language barrier....

    damned capitalism for you
     
     

  9.  
    #18
    BMW Crazed
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    167
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sorby View Post
    Couldnt agree more that money always breaches the language barrier....

    damned capitalism for you
    Yeah. Money talks. BS Walks as they say!!

    One things for sure......with BMW and Turbo in the same sentence, significant ££ is always going to be involved!
     
     

  10.  
    #19
    BMW Fanatic
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    liverpool
    Posts
    99
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 3 Times in 1 Post
    im probably going to ditch the vanos on my car unless i can turn it into a on/off affair. im not will to paying all that money for the autronic. im planning on using the emerald k3 i like the 3 map ability
     
     

  11.  
    #20
    Bimmerforums Central
    Car Details
    Boostist's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    E46 320i
    Year of Manufacture:
    2001
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe
    Boostist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Uk
    Posts
    8,035
    Thanks
    3,347
    Thanked 3,425 Times in 1,481 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jon_m3 View Post
    im probably going to ditch the vanos on my car unless i can turn it into a on/off affair. im not will to paying all that money for the autronic. im planning on using the emerald k3 i like the 3 map ability
    You seriously don'twant to lose the vanos unless you want to lose a LOT of driveability.

    even with turbo.

    Why not use the emanage or even a stock DME tune?

    Nick G in the US will tune yours remotely for sure...its not cheap tho. and a pain to get retuned.
     
     

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Tags for this Thread

View Tag Cloud

Posting Permissions
  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts