Locking the Vanos on your BMW Engine

Notices
 

Thread: Locking the Vanos on your BMW Engine

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 30
  1. Locking the Vanos on your BMW Engine 
    #1
    Bimmer Fan
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    19
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Well, Ive never locked the Vanos myself but here is what I think is done for an E36 M3 engine:

    For single vanos, the intake cam has the vanos gears removed. Then you remove the camgears and lock the cams in a fixed position.

    I believe the way to drive the cams is with two M3 3.0L exhaust cam sprockets, using a 3.0L cam carrier. Standard cams should be locked at 108 and 110 degrees. There's an end cover available stateside, or two custom made plates are required. (easy to CNC)

    In NA form peak power is unaffected but low end torque suffers a lot apparently...in Fi form....I dont believe it will be such a problem at all.

    A standalone is of course required with the Vanos delete..

    This pics show a few blanking plate setups....

    if anyone else can add any more to this topic that would be excellent
    Attached Images
     
     

  2. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements
     

  3.  
    #2
    Bimmerforums Central
    Car Details
    Boostist's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    E46 320i
    Year of Manufacture:
    2001
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe
    Boostist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Uk
    Posts
    8,035
    Thanks
    3,347
    Thanked 3,427 Times in 1,481 Posts
    nice post Sorby. Where did you get the Cam locking angle information though?
     
     

  4.  
    #3
    Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    GASFEDM3's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    M3
    Year of Manufacture:
    1995
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    coupe

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    2
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    thats some good info but what is the actual benefit of locking the vanos on a fi motor??
     
     

  5. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements
     

  6.  
    #4
    Bimmerforums Old Timer - RIP Mate
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Ft. Lauderdale
    Posts
    57
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    ummm... the ability to run a standalone with a map sensor
     
     

  7.  
    #5
    Bimmerforums Central
    Car Details
    Boostist's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    E46 320i
    Year of Manufacture:
    2001
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe
    Boostist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Uk
    Posts
    8,035
    Thanks
    3,347
    Thanked 3,427 Times in 1,481 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GASFEDM3 View Post
    thats some good info but what is the actual benefit of locking the vanos on a fi motor??
    indeed.

    There are several benefits on an FI motor.

    First and foremost it means you can use a wider range of standalone ECU's because some capable units out there cannot support variable dual vanos.

    Also, it is the removal of a notoriously weak link on some BMW engines.
    particularly the S50B32 (Euro 3.2 motor). The dual vanos on this lump is known to be a common issue for M3 evo owners. (think marbles in a tin can noise)

    The S50B30 motor though has a single vanos only and this is a lot more solid and reliable.

    Im sure there are more good reasons for doing it!! Hopefully someone will help me out with them!
     
     

  8.  
    #6
    Bimmerforums Old Timer - RIP Mate
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Ft. Lauderdale
    Posts
    57
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    yeah the E39 M5s make that same noise but atleast there units arent so noisy

    as for other good reasons well cylinder filling would be the main one

    the purpose of the vanos is to advance the cam in the midrange, thus creating more overlap to help cylinder filling, this also bumps compression ever so slightly by closing the valve earlier while the piston is dwelling at BDC to help up the torque where its needed

    at higher revs the cam comes back to its zero point, although this reduces overlap, it helps prevent high rpm reversion wich kills power
    overlap is good but not if you have to advance the cam to get it, especially at higher rpms

    as for locking the vanos on FI cars, well the cams are set at there aprox. 0 point, and in the midrange cylinder filling for torque isnt an issue cause the turbo is flowing just enough air to give you that torque back, especially if tuned correctly to take advantage of this

    im most cases, after de-compressing an engine and force inducing it, i can get back 90% of the low end and midrange it used to have even off boost
    the key is to remember that just cause theres no pressure doesnt mean that big metal snail isnt flowing
     
     

  9.  
    #7
    Bimmerforums Central
    Car Details
    Boostist's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    E46 320i
    Year of Manufacture:
    2001
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe
    Boostist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Uk
    Posts
    8,035
    Thanks
    3,347
    Thanked 3,427 Times in 1,481 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by topshotta02 View Post
    yeah the E39 M5s make that same noise but atleast there units arent so noisy

    as for other good reasons well cylinder filling would be the main one

    the purpose of the vanos is to advance the cam in the midrange, thus creating more overlap to help cylinder filling, this also bumps compression ever so slightly by closing the valve earlier while the piston is dwelling at BDC to help up the torque where its needed

    at higher revs the cam comes back to its zero point, although this reduces overlap, it helps prevent high rpm reversion wich kills power
    overlap is good but not if you have to advance the cam to get it, especially at higher rpms

    as for locking the vanos on FI cars, well the cams are set at there aprox. 0 point, and in the midrange cylinder filling for torque isnt an issue cause the turbo is flowing just enough air to give you that torque back, especially if tuned correctly to take advantage of this

    im most cases, after de-compressing an engine and force inducing it, i can get back 90% of the low end and midrange it used to have even off boost
    the key is to remember that just cause theres no pressure doesnt mean that big metal snail isnt flowing
    That kind of contribution right there is what I was hoping someone would add to this thread :

    Nice one topshotta

    Out of interest have you ever locked the vanos on an E36? Euro motor ideally?

    Can you confirm the degreeing information Sorby has posted?
    Last edited by Boostist; 04-06-2007 at 01:44.
     
     

  10.  
    #8
    Bimmerforums Old Timer - RIP Mate
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Ft. Lauderdale
    Posts
    57
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    ive never done it as ive never seen a good reason too

    my personal car is a 95 euro turbo and i still utilize the vanos

    only i use it to get the car to idle with the lumpy cam
    ive cut notches in the factory gears that allow me to shift the cams
    basically a home made adjustable cam gear

    tuning the vanos is simple and easy, and i would never ever ever ever disable my favorite bmw feature
    even if i reached the limits of the factory dme, which i find hard to beleive
    i would get a standalone that could control the vanos

    im a street tuner, i get flippin pissed when my cars dont make enough torque in the midrange and ill spend hours digging for it
    all the cars i build are daily driven so they need to behave as close to stock as possible
    even with huge turbos or lumpy cams theres always a way to get the midrange back
    and vanos is a beautiful way to do it

    locking the vanos is in my eyes a race car solution only, when the car never runs at low rpm's, or equipped with a standalone to cut costs
    you get what you pay for

    personally ill pay for some nice healthy midrange grunt
     
     

  11.  
    #9
    Bimmerforums Central
    Car Details
    Boostist's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    E46 320i
    Year of Manufacture:
    2001
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe
    Boostist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Uk
    Posts
    8,035
    Thanks
    3,347
    Thanked 3,427 Times in 1,481 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by topshotta02 View Post
    ive never done it as ive never seen a good reason too

    my personal car is a 95 euro turbo and i still utilize the vanos

    only i use it to get the car to idle with the lumpy cam
    ive cut notches in the factory gears that allow me to shift the cams
    basically a home made adjustable cam gear

    tuning the vanos is simple and easy, and i would never ever ever ever disable my favorite bmw feature
    even if i reached the limits of the factory dme, which i find hard to beleive
    i would get a standalone that could control the vanos

    im a street tuner, i get flippin pissed when my cars dont make enough torque in the midrange and ill spend hours digging for it
    all the cars i build are daily driven so they need to behave as close to stock as possible
    even with huge turbos or lumpy cams theres always a way to get the midrange back
    and vanos is a beautiful way to do it

    locking the vanos is in my eyes a race car solution only, when the car never runs at low rpm's, or equipped with a standalone to cut costs
    you get what you pay for

    personally ill pay for some nice healthy midrange grunt
    Agreed... I love Vanos and would only
    disable it for a race car or out of total necessity (eg/ crap standalone)

    But if you own an S50 B32, I am not sure which (if any standalones) can control dual variable vanos :

    On second thoughts...I think you can control dual vanos with the Autronic SM4 or maybe latest Halltech??
    though I cant remember if Im talking rubbish or not! Anyone?
    Last edited by Boostist; 04-06-2007 at 21:14.
     
     

  12.  
    #10
    Bimmerforums Old Timer - RIP Mate
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Ft. Lauderdale
    Posts
    57
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    as far as i know theres 2 systems that clearly claim they can do it

    MoTec, and Autronic

    there are also some units that can do it but they dont claim it out in the open

    BigStuff3 have a new unit that can do it

    Pectel supposedly can configure one of there systems to do it

    Wolf3D claim they can do it

    Perfect Power told me if there was a request they would build the customer a unit


    now as far as tuneability i would go with the MoTec
    its a little more money but the software is WAY ahead of the rest
    they have been doing vanos for several years
    the program is easily adapted to vanos mode and the maps are simple to use

    download the motec software and autronic one and you be the judge
     
     

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Tags for this Thread

View Tag Cloud

Posting Permissions
  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts