Model of Car:
    E36 318iS
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    saloon
    Thanks
    Hi guys. I'm currently building a budget spec, low boost (7-8 psi) stock management M50b25. I know It's not the ideal way to reliably turbo the car but it's the way it's happening for the time being. I'm going to be running a high flow fuel pump (Walbro 255 or similar), slightly larger (2.8 pink top) injectors and a rising rate fuel pressure regulator or FMU. Most aftermarket regulators run a 1:1 ratio with vacuum psi:fuel psi. However, I understand that I'll require a larger rate than that. Does anyone have any info on the sort of rising rate I should be looking at?

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    6CylBavarois's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    328i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    coupe

Thanks
    Hi guy, it's my first reply on this forum and i have read this post because i have the same project than you: "a low budget BMW Turbo on a inline 6 cylinders engine ".
    It's why i'm enthusiast to help you ! (same thinks & same target. Best power & perfs for lower budget as possible !!! )
    I think the best way for you is to keep the standard injectors of 2.5liters and adds a FMU with higher rate, and high flow fuel pump ! It's better for driving response and reliability !!!
    Believe me ! bigger injectors with stock ECU ROM's, results is a smoky engine in all N/A situation at all RPM range, and a big kick ass when you add load at the moment where the turbo spool !!! (and probably a lost of grip with tyre slipping result !)
    I add a link for all guys that need a true FMU developed for N/A engine conversion to Turbo with stock ECU !!! (I think that's the best WAY for a daily driver and/or track day car at the better price possible ! To all people with limited ressource "or money" or again knowledge/possibility about engine management tuning !!!).

Fuel Management Units (FMU)

I hope that i have helped some people and sorry for my bad english !
    If some people have another question, don't hesitate...
    Regards.

BMW Fanatic
    Car Details
    PetrosD's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    318i M50TUB25
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe

Thanks
    Hello!
    I am currently thinking of doing the same thing to my M50TUB25. A low budget, low boost turbo project.
    I would like to know how much money you two have spent (or planning to spend) to finish your projects.
    Here in Greece 2500-3000 Euros are needed, which seem a bit high to me.

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    6CylBavarois's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    328i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    coupe

Thanks
    Hi,
    All depend of your choice of parts, source of parts, certainly your knowledge and your target horsepower/torque ! If you get a used turbo rather than a new GARRETT GT35, budget is not the same !
    For me,my target is to obtain the power of an M3 engine (S family block, S52B32 very expensive in my country and often in a poorly condition.) with an affordable price on a base of M serie block (M50,M52,M54...) with the most OEM parts as possible !
    For my first try on BMW N/A to Turbo conversion, I have obtained a free M52B28 engine by a friend with head gasket failure from a 728i E38.
    I'm going to put it in my E36 2 doors for track day use.
    In my case the only part that i buy to reinforce the engine is a set of ARP head stud ! (maybe not necessary for this low power output desired, but an insurance for the brain.) not very expensive ! No ?
    For the turbo:
    I have lot of new parts (turbine shaft,bearing,air & water CHRA,backplate...) It's why my choice is to built my proper turbo. I go to buy a compressor housing and his compressor wheel to obtain the best turbo possible in the goal to touch my target power at the desired pressure with the less of reheat of the air as possible for better reliability.

The air temp is a key of the success in N/A > Turbo conversion with stock C/R !!!

Your first work is to add the amount of fuel necessary for a good burning condition !
    Your second work is to try to push the limit of knock (detonation) due to high C/R (generally upper to 10:1 in N/A modern engine).

I know that's it's not really the answer that you waiting but you are the only factor that have the possibility to saving your money ! All depends of what you want ! If you think that you really need a turbo, or a turbo header machined in gold for participate at the SEMA SHOW Or if your goal is to obtain a good "track day car" builded by yourself at the better price? This is the question !

If some guys are interested by my project ? I can maybe open a new thread ? Ask me if you think this can help you.

Regards.