Finally got the Turbo e36 325i rhd m50 non vanos running.. few issues need advice

Notices

Thread: Finally got the Turbo e36 325i rhd m50 non vanos running.. few issues need advice

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Finally got the Turbo e36 325i rhd m50 non vanos running.. few issues need advice 
    BMW Crazed
    Car Details
    hamadhayyat's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    m
    Car Body Type:
    saloon
    Thanks
    Hi

New to the forum so firstly forgive me for any mistakes i might make with regards to forum rules..

Anyhow over the past 3 months i have been working endlessly on my e36 325i turbo conversion, which is now near enough complete minus the mapping and relocating a few bits and bobs. car idles nice, sounds awesome and is generating 3 psi of boost at the moment with the wastegate set as low as possible until its ready for tuning.

1. First of all the windscreen washer bottle needs relocating, anyone know of a relocation kit of any sort for the e36? or any other suggestions maybe..

2. For those of you who have more experience in boosting the m50s, what sort of power should i expect? how many psi can i expect it to be mapped at? aand what Air fuel ratio could you recommend for tuning? obviously tuning it rich is better than stoich, but how rich?

3. At a relatively low boost pressure of 7psi would there be much benefit in running a water injection system?

Any help and suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Hamad

2. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

BMW Crazed
    Car Details
    gstuning's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    325i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon
    Thanks
    2. Is the engine stock? If so IŽd say 300-320hp should be pretty reasonable without any issues at all. Tune to 12:1 AFR under full boost. Power/boost you can run will be regulated by backpressure and intake temp

3. No.
    With great challenges comes great engineering.
    Gunnar Reynisson @ Cosworth

4. The Following User Says Thank You to gstuning For This Useful Post:

Boostist (21-10-2010)

BMW Crazed
    Car Details
    Model of Car:
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    m
    Car Body Type:
    saloon
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by gstuning View Post
    2. Is the engine stock? If so IŽd say 300-320hp should be pretty reasonable without any issues at all. Tune to 12:1 AFR under full boost. Power/boost you can run will be regulated by backpressure and intake temp

3. No.
    2. Good point with regards to back pressure and intake temps. Runnin 2.5in downpipe straight thru then it joins to a scorpion straight thru twin pipe back box. Charge piping is fairly long with intercooler but havent got a clue wat kinda inlet temps we could expect.

3. Thanks

6. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

BMW Crazed
    Car Details
    Model of Car:
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    m
    Car Body Type:
    saloon
    Thanks
    engine is stock for now other than extended rpm limit using a modified eprom chip limited at 7400. Once the turbo system is runnin and any teethin problems ironed out the plan is to install the 264 high lift schrick cams and a 0.140in decompression gasket with port n polished cylinder head fully rebuilt with relaped valves. .arp head studs All of which are sat in the cellar waitin to go on.

BMW Crazed
    Car Details
    gstuning's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    325i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon
    Thanks
    You donŽt really need the cams. IŽd put them in the latest to have a before and after comparison between them and normal cams.

What turbo do you have?
    With great challenges comes great engineering.
    Gunnar Reynisson @ Cosworth

9. Re:Finally got the Turbo e36 325i rhd m50 non vanos running.. few issues need advice 
    BMW Crazed
    Car Details
    Model of Car:
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    m
    Car Body Type:
    saloon
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by gstuning View Post
    You dont really need the cams. Id put them in the latest to have a before and after comparison between them and normal cams.

What turbo do you have?
    Is there any particular reason for not using the cams? Turbo is a t3 t4 hybrid with .63 ar compressor side.

BMW Guru
    Car Details
    TheEnd's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Auto
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,990 Times in 2,440 Posts
    As someone with plenty of turbo experience one said, don't waste money on cams or porting, just turn up the boost.

For a normally aspirated engine, you'll be trying to get in as much air as possible, so the slightest change helps, but when you have a turbo, you are limited by what the engine can take, and in this case, it looks like it can take a lot more.

The Rev limit is a touch high, and not really needed (it NA cars that may benefit by running as fast as they can to cycle more air through) but you can get more power from the boost anyway.

BMW Crazed
    Car Details
    Model of Car:
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    m
    Car Body Type:
    saloon
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TheEnd View Post
    As someone with plenty of turbo experience one said, don't waste money on cams or porting, just turn up the boost.

For a normally aspirated engine, you'll be trying to get in as much air as possible, so the slightest change helps, but when you have a turbo, you are limited by what the engine can take, and in this case, it looks like it can take a lot more.

The Rev limit is a touch high, and not really needed (it NA cars that may benefit by running as fast as they can to cycle more air through) but you can get more power from the boost anyway.
    Fair point, someone else said the same thing to me just as i started the build, however in my opinion, please correct me if i am wrong, higher boost generates higher inlet temps, which in turn will reduce the amount of ignition advance i am able to run, however running a slightly lower boost setting with more aggressive cams would not affect the inlet temps half as much, but at the same time hopefully help squeeze out a little more power..

thanks

BMW Crazed
    Car Details
    Model of Car:
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    m
    Car Body Type:
    saloon
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TheEnd View Post

shouldnt be an issue as the smt6 i have been running allows me to use a hard cut limiter in order to set the rpm limit to whatever i want.. like when my wife was insured to drive the car before the turbo conversion, i had a second map activated off a hidden switch which limits the car to 4000rpm lol

BMW Guru
    Car Details
    TheEnd's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Auto
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,990 Times in 2,440 Posts
    Yes, the more the turbo works, the more heat it'll make, but i guess people just use a bigger intercooler etc.
    It certainly won't do any harm, but i think the point they were getting at is the value for money drops when you go for headwork compared to a NA car.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to TheEnd For This Useful Post:

Boostist (21-10-2010)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast