BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

Which ecu do i use to turbo my e36 m3?

Tags
bmwm3
11K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  gstuning 
#1 ·
Hi all, hope you can help me?

Iv put an e36 3.2 m3 evo engine into my 316i estate but im wanting more power already. Im hoping to go turbo next year but would like to get it re-map so i can have 350bhp at the rear wheels until the turbo comes.

Spoke to a few people in the tuning ring but they all suggest changing my ecu to get the best results? Im hoping you guys (and girls) can send a few suggestions my way as to which system would be best to use and will i be able to use the same ecu when the turbo comes along?

Hope you can help, thanx

Jay

#2 ·
an evo engine has 321bhp at the fly! so the rear wheels will be getting around 250? to get 350 at wheels you will be looking at around 500bhp. with out the turbo you have no chance!

unless you meen 350bhp at the flywheel? in which case a remap will get you only a few bhp! and seen as the evo's are renowned for not ever actually making 321bhp, you will prob only get a more responsive or better power delivery than any real bhp.

#4 ·
erm that is ridiculous, so what you're saying is my car which made 356bhp on a rolling road (measures wheel power) will make over 500bhp if put on a bench dyno (measures flywheel power) to calculate flywheel power? :eek so i can tell everyone i got a 500bhp jap car :cool :jaw-dropping

#3 ·
You´ll need something that will control the vanos.

This means

Motec M800
Vipec V44/V88
DTA S100
Syvec S6

and some others
If you don´t need vanos then any standalone your tuner if familiar with would be the best option.

#15 ·
They will only be more reliable in terms of the vanos unit failing or not failing.
Nothing else with the engine will change.

You will loose low end without vanos, there is no question about it also some spool.
But instead you can run a much cheaper ecu solution.

I should hopefully have something later this year for S50´s in terms of ignition and fuel control for boosted applications.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.