E36 m3 3.0 tranny up to a turbo?

Notices
 

Thread: E36 m3 3.0 tranny up to a turbo?

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11
  1. E36 m3 3.0 tranny up to a turbo? 
    #1
    Dr of BMW
    Car Details
    mboon's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    M3
    Year of Manufacture:
    1995
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Somerset
    Posts
    1,014
    Thanks
    52
    Thanked 205 Times in 146 Posts
    OK had my car now for 3 years, lent it to the Mrs while I went through my cosworth stage in life. Sold the cossie and back in the M3.

    My question is, what power output would the gearbox reliably handle? clutch etc?
    what about the rear diff? Looking at Supercharging it or possibley turbo if I can find a company that car do it.

    Obviously before I start I need to know what other items are going to need upgrading.

    I think the S/C kit takes it upto 450bhp at the fly wheel.
    ta
    Mark
     
     

  2. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements
     

  3.  
    #2
    Dr of BMW
    Car Details
    mboon's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    M3
    Year of Manufacture:
    1995
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Somerset
    Posts
    1,014
    Thanks
    52
    Thanked 205 Times in 146 Posts
    OK I guess no one knows.
     
     

  4.  
    #3
    BMW Guru
    Car Details
    328mark's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    E46 328i se
    Year of Manufacture:
    1998
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    saloon
    328mark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    corringham essex
    Posts
    5,471
    Thanks
    815
    Thanked 2,426 Times in 1,920 Posts
    better off in this forum mate
    give it a while
    what i've felt,what i've known
    never shined through in what i've shown.

    -------------------------------------------
    PLEASE READ THE POSTING RULES & HOW TO CORRECT THREAD TITLES & THE SELLING RULES
     
     

  5. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements
     

  6.  
    #4
    Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    BMEP's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    E36 M3
    Year of Manufacture:
    1995
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    25
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 18 Times in 5 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mboon View Post
    OK had my car now for 3 years, lent it to the Mrs while I went through my cosworth stage in life. Sold the cossie and back in the M3.

    My question is, what power output would the gearbox reliably handle? clutch etc?
    what about the rear diff? Looking at Supercharging it or possibley turbo if I can find a company that car do it.

    Obviously before I start I need to know what other items are going to need upgrading.

    I think the S/C kit takes it upto 450bhp at the fly wheel.
    ta
    Mark
    I have turbocharged my E36 M3 (S50B30), its still running a standard clutch and gearbox. My understanding is the Gearbox is strong and the weak link on the 3.0lt M3's is the diff. I'm running 8psi and have made 397rwhp Dyno Dynamic Dyno (385rwhp in shootout mode) and have not had any problems thus far.
     
     

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to BMEP For This Useful Post:

    Ronnie (29-03-2009)

  8.  
    #5
    Dr of BMW
    Car Details
    mboon's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    M3
    Year of Manufacture:
    1995
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Somerset
    Posts
    1,014
    Thanks
    52
    Thanked 205 Times in 146 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BMEP View Post
    I have turbocharged my E36 M3 (S50B30), its still running a standard clutch and gearbox. My understanding is the Gearbox is strong and the weak link on the 3.0lt M3's is the diff. I'm running 8psi and have made 397rwhp Dyno Dynamic Dyno (385rwhp in shootout mode) and have not had any problems thus far.
    Ideal, Someone told me the diff was well over engineered lol lucky I didnt take there advice.

    Do you mind me asking where and who etc did the turbo conversion? and a rough price too. PM me if you like.

    cheers
    Mark
     
     

  9.  
    #6
    Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    BMEP's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    E36 M3
    Year of Manufacture:
    1995
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    25
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 18 Times in 5 Posts
    Thats cool mboon, no need to PM as the turbo converson was carried out by a friend and myself therefor the cost was based on materials/turbo/'cooler etc etc only and not labour.

    My understanding is the 3.2lt M3 has the stronger diff. Perhaps the person that mentioned that the diff's were over engineered was refering to the 3.2 diff and not the 3.0 diff?

    Sorry it wasn't the answer you were looking for.
     
     

  10.  
    #7
    Dr of BMW
    Car Details
    mboon's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    M3
    Year of Manufacture:
    1995
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Somerset
    Posts
    1,014
    Thanks
    52
    Thanked 205 Times in 146 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BMEP View Post
    Thats cool mboon, no need to PM as the turbo converson was carried out by a friend and myself therefor the cost was based on materials/turbo/'cooler etc etc only and not labour.

    My understanding is the 3.2lt M3 has the stronger diff. Perhaps the person that mentioned that the diff's were over engineered was refering to the 3.2 diff and not the 3.0 diff?

    Sorry it wasn't the answer you were looking for.
    Thats cool, what turbo or spec is yours running? I will have a little look and make up a shoping list Did you look into Superchargers as well? what did you think of them?

    Is it a straight swop for the evo diff?
     
     

  11.  
    #8
    Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    BMEP's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    E36 M3
    Year of Manufacture:
    1995
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    25
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 18 Times in 5 Posts
    At this stage the engine is totally standard internally. The turbo is a GT35 running a 44mm Tial External waste gate. The engine now runs an Autronic SM4 that also has total control of the vanos.

    I did not look into surpercharging as my whole intention was to turbo the car when i purchased it.

    My understanding is the complete 3.2lt rear end is a simple remove/replace with the 3.0lt rear end. I have already purchased a complete 3.2 rear end but have not had the time to fit it as yet.
     
     

  12.  
    #9
    RYM
    RYM is offline
    Legendary BFuk Member
    Car Details
    RYM's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    325tds
    Year of Manufacture:
    1996
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Touring
    RYM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Bristol
    Posts
    12,959
    Thanks
    5,540
    Thanked 4,935 Times in 3,119 Posts
    My mate has a cossie powered E36 that is running cossie box with an M3 diff with E30 internals, car is pushing 355bhp at the moment with a misfire, it has been built for 400BHP

    I'm not an expert in this field, Just relaying the information that I found out on Saturday
     
     

  13.  
    #10
    Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    BMEP's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    E36 M3
    Year of Manufacture:
    1995
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    25
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 18 Times in 5 Posts
    mboon,

    I will start a thread in the turbocharged section on my M3 with pics that may be of help to you.

    I tried with no success so far......
     
     

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Tags for this Thread

View Tag Cloud

Posting Permissions
  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts