Model of Car:
    330d m sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    saloon

Thanks
    hi i am new to this forum so would like to say hi, right straight to the point..

i own a e36 1994 325 coupe, engine has done 91,000 and i am after putting a turbo on it. my dad owns a garage and we have a lot of contacts and people that get involved fixing evo's, skylines, audi rs4 etc etc so instead of me buying a turbo kit which would cost me a lot i can but intercooler, turbo, pipes etc etc seperate and fit all by my self and save a bundle. the questions thats i ask is this

- what psi can you run on standard internals, ecu, injectors etc etc
    -what kind of power gains will i get from doing this?
    -where can i buy a turbo manifold from? (i know ebay do some but i heard there mostly for left hand drive cars?
    -i am sure someone has done this to there car and want to know any advice that would help me or good parts you would recomend?

the car at the mo has a full stainless steel exhaust but as for performance mods thats it, i know i'll have to upgrade the brakes, suspension, and clutch.

i know there is prob loads of posts on this subject but i cant find them, thanks for your time and i hope someone can help me.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

RYM
    Legendary BFuk Member
    Car Details
    RYM's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    325tds
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Touring
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,935 Times in 3,119 Posts
    I'm going to PM this thread to a member who should be able to assist further

Looking at what you want to do and the current mileage my initial thoughts are that you will need to replace certain engine components to prevent engine failure?

Finding a manifold for a right hand drive does seem to be an issue due to clearance issues

Bimmerforums Central
    Car Details
    Boostist's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    E46 320i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,427 Times in 1,481 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by roberto07 View Post
    hi i am new to this forum so would like to say hi, right straight to the point..

i own a e36 1994 325 coupe, engine has done 91,000 and i am after putting a turbo on it. my dad owns a garage and we have a lot of contacts and people that get involved fixing evo's, skylines, audi rs4 etc etc so instead of me buying a turbo kit which would cost me a lot i can but intercooler, turbo, pipes etc etc seperate and fit all by my self and save a bundle. the questions thats i ask is this

-what kind of power gains will i get from doing this?
    -where can i buy a turbo manifold from? (i know ebay do some but i heard there mostly for left hand drive cars?
    -i am sure someone has done this to there car and want to know any advice that would help me or good parts you would recomend?

the car at the mo has a full stainless steel exhaust but as for performance mods thats it, i know i'll have to upgrade the brakes, suspension, and clutch.

i know there is prob loads of posts on this subject but i cant find them, thanks for your time and i hope someone can help me.

Its not quite 'save a bundle'

but to answer your questions:

You will need low compression head gasket. 20 psi is most I would run

-what kind of power gains will i get from doing this? - It all depends on what turbo you use as you should know!

-where can i buy a turbo manifold from? - Active Autowerke do a RHD one. Not sure if they sell them seperate from a kit though

-i am sure someone has done this to there car and want to know any advice that would help me or good parts you would recomend? -

Do more research!!

Im still mid project as its on hold at the minute, but I would say you should use a Garrett GT30 turbo, possible custom exhuast mani

Stock inlet manifold

Custom IC piping

Cometic low compression head gasket

500cc injectors

and a standalone ECU unless you can get someone to tune your current ECu with a custom tune

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Boostist For This Useful Post:

RYM (04-04-2009),steve23002 (04-04-2009)

6. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    roberto07's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    330d m sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    saloon

Thanks
    thanks for the your reply and help

i have my eye on a 3.5mm gasket on ebay for a 325,328 and a custom made engine mount so you can link a 4" intake to the turbo.

i've had a good look into this and the steering rack seems to be the biggest concern to me its in the way and looks to me that the turbo will pretty much be under the car, i have seen one picture on the net where the turbo is literally under the car not good if you ask me but if its the only way then thats how i'll do it.

20psi sounds good to me i was only going to run 6-8psi so will prob run 1 bar just to be safe. i am going to take pics of the project as i go along so will keep everyone posted.

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    roberto07's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    330d m sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    saloon

Thanks
    right had a word with my mechanic and where just goin to go for a small simple turbo set up for now then when winter comes take it of the road and uprate everything this is due to money at the mo and to just get the car goin wi a turbo for now for the summer.

my question is i have a t3 hybrid turbo sat here not doing anything so i might as well use that, where gona keep the engine totally standard, can i run a turbo of this size at say 8psi with out changing the injectors, ecu or anything, i won the 3.5mm gasket on ebay so thats on the way but will prob save that for when i put bigger turbo on it and injectors n change ecu etc etc. basically i want to run this turbo without changing anything can this be done? sorry for the essay.

BMW Fanatic
    Car Details
    325icoupe-shaun's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    325i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    coupe
    Thanks
    i slapped a big dirty turbo on my civic, with no engine mods at all. she had done 168,000 miles too.
    the only problem i had was the maf, but then £6 later and ebay that was sorted, that was on for 18 months with no problems at all....apart from front tyres

BMW Fanatic
    Car Details
    mooser's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    325 tds
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    saloon
    Thanks
    id say a t3 hybrid should be decent compromise. at 20psi itll blow enough air for 300bhp or so and should give great response on a 2.5.
    one thing id do is work out what the compression ratio will be with a 3.5mm gasket. too high and you cant run much boost, too low and you get loads of lag.

325tds until i finish the skyline...........but i do quite like the tds!!!