e36 325i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    saloon

Thanks
    hi,

ive been doing alittle reading and i now have some questions, first of im looking at the possibility of building a stock BMW parts, turboed 325i. cheep as poss but using the BMW parts, the reliability and cost should be good. lets say a ruff goal would be 400bhp (fly) or more just so you guys and girls have an idea.

1. would the 325tds turbo manifold fit onto the 325i head? if so im wondering if i could use all the diesel turbo kit on the 325i (different turbo and IC tho)

2. are the rods in the 325 engine forged? as ive read that the 2.8 versions are, and with the crank i could have the larger displacement and extra strength in the stronger block. but if the 325 are forged then i'll prob just stick with those.

3. what stock pistons could i use? could i keep the standered 325i pistons? or are there any BMW pistons i could use to lower the compression and take the power.

4. with hondas you can desolder the ROM and solder in a socket (plug and play for chips) and plug in a cleaver device that links to your pc in real time so that the car can be road tuned on the go and then a new ROM can be burnt and all is done. ive got a wide band sensor for monitoring the A/F but im after info regarding what software people are using and can a stock ecu be used/ tuned?

5. what pressure can the stock map sensor read up to?

thanks all

2. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

RYM
    Legendary BFuk Member
    Car Details
    RYM's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    325tds
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Touring
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,935 Times in 3,119 Posts
    I have a 325tds manifold and Turbo removed from it's head at the moment but unfortunately I am not likely to be able to compare it to a 325 manifold

Please let me know if you think I may be able to help in any other way

Platinum BFuk Member
    Car Details
    wolvesdug's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    325i X3
    Year of Manufacture:
    1992 2004
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    coupe 4x4
    Thanks
    A good 325 standard engine will easily take 400 BHP. It is a strong engine from the off.
    It is a good base for either turboing or stroking it.

5. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    robrex's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    e36 325i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    saloon

Thanks
    wolvesdug now thats good to know, one less expense!

A20 RYM very kind of you. im afraid i dont have any stock manifolds or heads lying around to get any measurements from. fingers crossed someone else my have the answer!

PPM
    BMW Fanatic
    Thanks
    There is no MAP sensor on this engine. This engine is not popular to turbocharge as the MAF cannot measure enough air, the vanos engine uses a different MAF which can be changed to other larger MAFs which can then be scaled.

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    robrex's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    e36 325i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    saloon

Thanks
    thanks PPM i'll look into this. i would only require around 8psi anyway so i'll see what resolution i can get with the different sensors and i'll check voltage outputs. i really need to find some tuning software and check out the capability's.

for the info of the people thinking about the TDS manifold. the ports are round on the diesel head and oval on the petrol. also the bolts dont line up so its defiantly not an easy swap.

BMW Fanatic
    Car Details
    gaz_kelley's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    320i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon

Thanks
    Hi Robrex, i was just wondering if you'd had any developments with this idea. It's something I'd be interested in doing myself, I've done plenty of reading about it. Getting a manifold made up isn't a problem for me, a friend of mine is a fantastic fabricator and he could make it up for me.

I was potentially looking to do the 325 engine also as i'd heard they were a tough lump. I'd be looking to do it with a non-vanos engine. At present my car is a stock 320i (non-vanos)..

Let me know how you get on with this as i'm interested in doing something very similar.

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    robrex's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    e36 325i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    saloon

Thanks
    ive got another car project on the go so im not going to be doing this for a while but i have been looking into it.

the whole thing looks quite simple to me now.

manifolds the only tricky bit i think, mabe a ebay special modified to work on our right hand drive cars and strengthened could be a good idea, or if you mates making up one let me know as i could be interested.
    also the tuning is easy as you can use an ostrich (Eeprom emulator) which is quite cheep and replaces your stock ecu chip. this is wired up to a laptop and you can road tune using a wide band sensor for the A/F ratios. 'TunerPro RT' looks like it could be good software for the job and can be found on the internet. then once you have the perfect tune, burn the .bin map to a chip and jobs done!

i would slap in a thicker head gasket to low the compression (but only a little) and ARP rod bolts to hold it all down. add some boost piping and a large intercooler and jobs a goodun! oh and a nice GT30 for around 400bhp. that would prob be around 15psi and it does look like you can get software to rescale the MAF sensors to work with this but im still researching it.

but let me know what your doing about a manifold as thats my biggest stumbling block at the moment.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to robrex For This Useful Post:

gaz_kelley (05-02-2010),steve23002 (04-02-2010)

BMW Fanatic
    Car Details
    gaz_kelley's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    320i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon

Thanks
    I'll have a word with the fella, see what he reckons. But I've seen plenty of his fabrication work, and he is genuinely really good.

I was only hoping for around 300bhp or so, i didn't want to go too over the top because its a daily run about as well like. But you think 400bhp is fairly achieveable with that setup eh?

Nice work Robrex.

I'll try and pop down and see the guy next week about the fabrication. Try and get some sort of price idea and what not.

BMW Fanatic
    Car Details
    gaz_kelley's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    320i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon

Thanks
    Just spotted this on another site Robrex, you may have already seen it, actually its stolen from another thread on this forum.

http://www.xs-power.co.uk/index.php?...roducts_id=208

Thought you might like a look at it, its designed for the Garratt T3 or T4 turbo though from what i can make of it. But thought you might be interested.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to gaz_kelley For This Useful Post:

robrex (07-02-2010)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast